Tier 5 ... presumably fishing is screwed again?

JoeOh

the AT don't own the guidelines at to how far we can travel, that's the Govt. I agree that angling won't spread the virus, but potentially putting undue pressure on an already stretched hospital system won't help - i.e. you drive 50 miles to fish 'because angling won't spread the virus' and have a crash, where you are seriously injured, or you inadvertently slip on the bank and fall in a freezing river or lake/slip whilst wading, now you need emergency hospital treatment. It isn't just about throwing flies across a lake/upstream.
The last place I want to end up is in hospital. I know two people who, quite elderly, were admitted recently. Both contracted the virus, one dead and I've not heard from the other. I will not risk driving anywhere under lockdown. People drive quite recklessly round here and the risk factor of hospital admittance is too high for me. I believe the remaining anglers at Rutland are season ticket holders and having their own access to the reservoir are probably low transmission risk.
But for me, no fishing planned untll April anyway. Let's get through this lockdown and hope the pressure on the NHS doesn't overwhelm them as predicted last night.
Stay safe Posters

pusser

The last place I want to end up is in hospital. I know two people who, quite elderly, were admitted recently. Both contracted the virus, one dead and I've not heard from the other. I will not risk driving anywhere under lockdown. People drive quite recklessly round here and the risk factor of hospital admittance is too high for me. I believe the remaining anglers at Rutland are season ticket holders and having their own access to the reservoir are probably low transmission risk.
But for me, no fishing planned untll April anyway. Let's get through this lockdown and hope the pressure on the NHS doesn't overwhelm them as predicted last night.
Stay safe Posters

Exactly! My thoughts too.

bobnudd

I think the problem is if you take them as guidelines you can find loopholes. If you take them as rules then you have to follow them. The government should make it clear weather they are rules or guidelines. I for one will take it as rules.

blithfield2

The government hasn't published details yet so where have you found them?

Go to https://www.gov.uk

Towards the top of the screen click on the link entitled Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Dated 5 January 2020 click on - National lockdown rules apply in England (Stay at home)

Read to your little hearts content!

Anyone else need spoon-feeding?

Last edited:

BobP

It seems to me that people now expect to be told in minute detail what they can or cannot do. People are incapable of reading the rules, guidelines or whatever without looking for loopholes to suit their own circumstances. This is gleefully fed by the media and the likes of that ***** Piers Morgan. What the hell happened to plain common sense? The virus spreads by human contact, therefore avoid human contact.

If people are desperate for booze, you can get as much as you will ever need from Amazon. In fact you can get just about anything you need from Amazon.

glueman

. You can only leave your home to exercise, and not for the purpose of recreation or leisure (e.g. a picnic or a social meeting). This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
From said government site

Banksie

I don't know why you think anyone is looking for loopholes, I suggest you try reading the thread before spouting virtue signalling moronic nonsense.

what people want, and need, is clarity. What is and isn't allowed. In March leaving home to fish was not allowed, in November it was. The jury is still out and we will get clarification today, I hope.
Totally agree. After all, this is a fishing forum. It’s what we do.

Overmiwadrers

Well for me I am going to call it a day for fishing now until April. It isnt just about how I feel about it surely you need to consider how it could affect others. My favoured winter Grayling stream is a little stream club that leases the rights of a famer . The farmer is a gent, proper old school countryman , I would feel uncomfortable now in visiting the water I would not want to run the risk of adding to any risks that he or his family has of contracting covid or even been seen on his land at this time no matter what the Govt guidelines say. As much as i love fishing it appears to me that the correct thing to do is just wrap it up for a few weeks . I have managed 35 trips this year , down on my usual numbers but have had a great year with some brilliant days with friends and some fantastic fish. So no more for me. These are my highlights of 2020 I shall spend the next few weeks reminding myself that they will all be there in the summer

O M W

3a6dc018e38c8835bd03c521aa513a01.jpg

cba4ba8831649a0a9af7c168ab2f1f84.jpg

d99d63bf899f6efb08174b9b67f42439.jpg

Last edited:

loxie

Go to https://www.gov.uk

Towards the top of the screen click on the link entitled Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Dated 5 January 2020 click on - National lockdown rules apply in England (Stay at home)

Read to your little hearts content!

Anyone else need spoon-feeding?
So they have now, but they hadn't at 10 am. They still haven't clarified angling as excercise. As it stands angling is still permitted exercise, as defined by the last lockdown and that is the point that needs to be clarified. Can you clarify that?

pusser

So they have now, but they hadn't at 10 am. They still haven't clarified angling as excercise. As it stands angling is still permitted exercise, as defined by the last lockdown and that is the point that needs to be clarified. Can you clarify that?
That was updated last night, I know because I was looking at it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Elwyman

It's a tough one, 6 to 8 weeks of tier 5 lockdown at this time of year will affect many people badly. Going fishing locally would be a massive relief for many, including myself, however if we seek a relaxation then everyone from golfers to cyclists ( groups not individuals) start pushing at the door and before long we have crowds of people congregating at popular locations, which defeats the purpose of lockdown.

Latest posts