Time for a sabatical

Highlander

Think it is time I took a rest from the forum. Every time I seem to post nowadays it becomes a battle of wits. If I have to be honest I am just a wee bitty tired of it. A public forum should be about discussion & exchange of opinions but at all times guided by knowledge of ones subject but not the vitriol, crass comments & disgusting language from some that all to sadly is prevalent today.
I will look in now & again but no more posting from me for a while. The board for me it is simply hard going & not what I want, I really have better things to do without constantly fending off people who should know better.
I will continue on the new fly tying board of Paul & Dennis (Tango51 & Scotfly) where things should be more reasonable. Been meaning to join since they too decided to split from here. There reasons are there own & have not influenced me in any way but maybe best to stick to what I know traditional fly tying. So if anyone wants to partake in a UK fly tying only site feel free to join. I am sure they will make you most welcome.
Tight lines

The Famous Grouse

Highlander, I really hope you'll reconsider and keep contributing.

I wrote recently that the forum is suffering from a brain drain. Highly experienced and interesting members have been run off the board by a small number of mindless, bitter, angry dolts who do little but sh!tstir and contribute only a fraction of what members like you have contributed.

I hope Scotfly and Tango will come back as well. And as long as I'm at it, I hope a number of others will heed the come-back-or-post-more call as well.

Jon Martin
Jan
CharlieH
Graham
Willie Gunn
Scotfly
Shuck Raider

And there are many more who have drifted away, so I'm issuing a call to the original members of the Fish & Fly forums, come home guys! I wish I could look back at those old forums, because I know I'm forgetting a bunch of you. You guys made this a once-great community and I hope you'll come back and help rebuild it.

Every year we go through that is-the-forum-going-downhill phase. Every year I've said ignore it, it's a phase. Suddenly, I'm not so sure. We need new members, and we need a few non-contributers to shape up or ship out and stop driving away experienced members who have something valuable to contribute.

Grouse

The Bear

Highlander said:
Think it is time I took a rest from the forum. Every time I seem to post nowadays it becomes a battle of wits. If I have to be honest I am just a wee bitty tired of it. A public forum should be about discussion & exchange of opinions but at all times guided by knowledge of ones subject but not the vitriol, crass comments & disgusting language from some that all to sadly is prevalent today.
I will look in now & again but no more posting from me for a while. The board for me it is simply hard going & not what I want, I really have better things to do without constantly fending off people who should know better.
I will continue on the new fly tying board of Paul & Dennis (Tango51 & Scotfly) where things should be more reasonable. Been meaning to join since they too decided to split from here. There reasons are there own & have not influenced me in any way but maybe best to stick to what I know traditional fly tying. So if anyone wants to partake in a UK fly tying only site feel free to join. I am sure they will make you most welcome.
Tight lines
Sorry to hear that Highlander ,i have always enjoyed your posts being a keen wet fly man myself .Do you have a link for the fly tying forum ?

The Bear

MARAZION MIDGE

don't take things to heart maybe if you met some of these people face to face they wouldn't be such a bad bunch.:rolleyes:
but posting here at one in the morning worries me don't lose sleep over it, all to easy to let the smallest thing get under your skin at times I know iv taken a bit of flack as well in the past;)
keep posting mate and if Iv had any thing to do with your state of mind at the present time sorry.
mike

hennessygavan

Highlander said:
Tight lines

Highlander,
I too hope you will re-consider your decision. It is very easy to let people you describe get under your skin. You will just have to rise above it.
I have noticed several posts on here over the last week that are purely aimed at antagonising people and contribute nothing at all to the forum. Indeed one such person got the bullet not so long ago and I am starting to see some close resemblances to older posts and wonder if he's back!
I hope to debate with you again soon.
Gavan

DrRob

I'm sorry to say i'm following Alan in taking a sabbatical mainly through work commitments but also for the reasons Alan has stated.

Bob G

hennessygavan said:
................. It is very easy to let people you describe get under your skin. You will just have to rise above it.
I have noticed several posts on here over the last week that are purely aimed at antagonising people and contribute nothing at all to the forum. .
Gavan

I quite agree with you but the problem is that too many worthwhile posters are now deciding "why bother to rise above it".
Bob

PeterG

Sabatical

Alan

Would be a real shame to see you holding back on posting to the forum.

Unfortunately in every walk of life there are some who have nothing better to do with their time than indulge in making a nuisance of themselves and irritating as they are it's a shame when they wear someone down who is worth listening to.

When we met on one of the work parties a few months back it was good to meet someone who had given me sound advice without even knowing it. Since then it's always been refreshing to read your posts so would be a major loss to the forum if there were no more. I do however respect your decision and will look out for you on the other forums.

Best wishes

Peter

Last edited:

fredaevans

"Bottom feeders."

Bob G said:
I quite agree with you but the problem is that too many worthwhile posters are now deciding "why bother to rise above it".
Bob

Candidly, it's a 'moderation' issue if Simon (et al?) want to keep the lowest common denominator posters 'happy.' :rolleyes: Or not.

Streamfisher

fredaevans said:
Candidly, it's a 'moderation' issue if Simon (et al?) want to keep the lowest common denominator posters 'happy.' :rolleyes: Or not.

Agreed, haven't seen the posts in question but surely the answer is to report bad posts and leave the rest to the mods? I would have thought posters of this sort were very much in a minority on here.....don't let them win!

TF

paramedicpete

Sorry you are leaving us for now,please pop in for a wee hello noo and again.Will pop into the fly tying site to keep admiring your wonderful works.

Pete

oatcake

Surely you are above being wound up by such persons. Rise above them, as a bit of a newbie I have found your posts informative. ;) ;)

Paul

The Otter Startler SJF

They flounce off, they flounce back.
There are more retierments and comebacks than Frank Sinnatra on web forums.

Guys, remember:- This is not real life, these are Web Forums, they are not important - friends and familly you can see and touch are. Don't take anything said on a forum too seriously, including this.

MobyJones

The Otter Startler said:
They flounce off, they flounce back.
There are more retierments and comebacks than Frank Sinnatra on web forums.

Guys, remember:- This is not real life, these are Web Forums, they are not important - friends and familly you can see and touch are. Don't take anything said on a forum too seriously, including this.

It is real to many though. People do meet up in the real world and fish together etc. So to some it is real life. Highlander quite obviously had his departure planned. It's a shame to see him go. Hopefully he will be back soon.

fredaevans

[QUOTEIt is real to many though. People do meet up in the real world and fish together etc. So to some it is real life.
Guys, remember:- This is not real life, these are Web Forums, they are not important - friends and family you can see and touch are. Don't take anything said on a forum too seriously, including this. [/QUOTE]

True enough, the internet is not 'real life,' but the anonymity of a key board (imho) gives a true (inside) look at who the poster really is ......

Latest posts