Time for a sabatical

.D.

That's a very good point you've made there......

...Fred

.D.

MobyJones

fredaevans said:
True enough, the internet is not 'real life,' but the anonymity of a key board (imho) gives a true (inside) look at who the poster really is ......
Fred

Fix your quotations! I agree it does. I also believe that posts like emails, and text messages are often misinterpreted. Resulting in people taking posts to heart, when often there is no need to do so. People should use smileys more!

MJ

thewormturns

I can assure you this problem crops up on any forum, regardless of the subject.

The monitor is to the computer-user what the windscreen is to the driver, a barrier that emboldens him into being far more abusive towards his fellow-users of the highway - whether the information or vehicular variety - than he ever would be face to face.

Barring watertight moderation by the forum administrator - virtually impossible on a busy forum - the only remedy is to match the flamer's ignorance with your own. Every time someone posts with the sole intention of making mischief, everyone ignores it: no indignation, no censure, no reaction at all. You just carry on posting around him as if he wasn't there.

Such an orchestrated response takes some time to achieve, naturally but when it happens, it is chillingly effective. Unless the villain is so warped he derives pleasure from effectively shouting at an empty room (in which case, maybe we should all leave, before he finds out where we live) he is gone within days.

You can spend a lifetime trying to outrun the Internet twerp and still not succeed. Better, perhaps, to let him rant at the moon and reassure yourself that you'll be in heaven first.

mikec

Have to agree with Jeffs comments. Ignoring the morons is the most effective way to police such idiots. It is a shame that so many people with a wide range of knowledge are driven off forums ( or whatever the plural should be :) ) by the ignorant few.

TL

Mike C

otter

In a sport where much pain can be experienced in the loss of a good fish I cannot for the life of me see any point in feeling pain at the rantings that sometimes occur here. Its all part of the experience.

Sometimes you must fight fire with fire, other times ignore as Jeff says - but yet there comes a point for many that you have to say - Whats the Point, I aint enjoying this any more. If too many aint enjoying the forum anymore then maybe its time for those that remain to rethink their attitudes.

I have enjoyed many a good , robust debates here that trod the line of decency. Inevitably some posts crossed the line bigtime, but these soon fizzled out and real debate did take place. Sometimes a thread takes on a life of its own and can (if your interested and dont take it too seriously) provide good entertainment in a Reality TV sort of way. If you dont like the content then you can simply switch onto other threads.

There are many here that enjoy a mix of serious content and some piss taking, and there are many that have no interest in the latter, and that is really the big issue that can only be addressed by strict censorship.
Therein lies the crux. Both types can usually co-exist reasonably well, but when a small minority continuously act the maggot, get thick and personal then the harmonious co-existance is no longer possible.

Its a pity when some respected people leave, but it aint the end of the world - an internet forum ain't the be all and end all. :)

traprain

otter said:
In a sport where much pain can be experienced in the loss of a good fish I cannot for the life of me see any point in feeling pain at the rantings that sometimes occur here. Its all part of the experience.

Sometimes you must fight fire with fire, other times ignore as Jeff says - but yet there comes a point for many that you have to say - Whats the Point, I aint enjoying this any more. If too many aint enjoying the forum anymore then maybe its time for those that remain to rethink their attitudes.

I have enjoyed many a good , robust debates here that trod the line of decency. Inevitably some posts crossed the line bigtime, but these soon fizzled out and real debate did take place. Sometimes a thread takes on a life of its own and can (if your interested and dont take it too seriously) provide good entertainment in a Reality TV sort of way. If you dont like the content then you can simply switch onto other threads.

There are many here that enjoy a mix of serious content and some piss taking, and there are many that have no interest in the latter, and that is really the big issue that can only be addressed by strict censorship.
Therein lies the crux. Both types can usually co-exist reasonably well, but when a small minority continuously act the maggot, get thick and personal then the harmonious co-existance is no longer possible.

Its a pity when some respected people leave, but it aint the end of the world - an internet forum ain't the be all and end all. :)
Good sensible stuff, Otter. Let's keep this in perspective.

fredaevans

Never have figured out how to do a 'double quote.'

MobyJones said:
Fred

Fix your quotations! I agree it does. I also believe that posts like emails, and text messages are often misinterpreted. Resulting in people taking posts to heart, when often there is no need to do so. People should use smileys more!

MJ
But that's beside the point (again, imho). E-mails/text messages may be "misinterpreted," but at least you know who to ask ... 'I read 'it,' but what were you trying to say?' Someone flying under false colours ?????

As to your smiley's point, I couldn't agree more!~! And Traprain (via Otter) makes (both) excellent points.

Last edited:

MobyJones

fredaevans said:
But that's beside the point (again, imho). E-mails/text messages may be "misinterpreted," but at least you know who to ask ... 'I read 'it,' but what were you trying to say?' Someone flying under false colours ?????

As to your smiley's point, I couldn't agree more!~! And Traprain (via Otter) makes (both) excellent points.
Fred

I have to admit, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying? :( " Someone flying under false colours ?????" :confused: PM me if you like.

MJ

fredaevans

No problem.

MobyJones said:
Fred

I have to admit, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying? :( " Someone flying under false colours ?????" :confused: PM me if you like.

MJ
"Flying under false colours" is an old Maritime saying from the days of Pirates. To get close to another ship (think person here) the Pirate would fly the flag of some 'non-hostile' nation, hail the other ship, and when along side pull down the one flag and run up another.

As Pirates (unlike Navel ships) would always run with their cannon loaded, they were able to (usually) fire at least one 'broad-side' into the other ship before the other knew it was under attack.

So what does this have to do with some threads/posters? Some posters have very straightforward views on certain topics, of which other posters may agree to disagree. Rather than posting 'counter argument' they come in with all guns blazing and 'flame' (I think that's the correct term) the other person.

Goes to the point of if you don't have anything to back your statements, 'raise your (electronic) voice.' Half, if not more, of the people reading same have zero idea who you are (anonymity), unlike a e mail/text message.

Hope that makes some sense.
Fred

Last edited:

MobyJones

fredaevans said:
"Flying under false colours" is an old Maritime saying from the days of Pirates. To get close to another ship (think person here) the Pirate would fly the flag of some 'non-hostile' nation, hail the other ship, and when along side pull down the one flag and run up another.

As Pirates (unlike Navel ships) would always run with their cannon loaded, they were able to (usually) fire at least one 'broad-side' into the other ship before the other knew it was under attack.

So what does this have to do with some threads/posters? Some posters have very straightforward views on certain topics, of which other posters may agree to disagree. Rather than posting 'counter argument' they come in with all guns blazing and 'flame' (I think that's the correct term) the other person.

Goes to the point of if you don't have anything to back your statements, 'raise your (electronic) voice.' Half, if not more, of the people reading same have zero idea who you are (anonymity), unlike a e mail/text message.

Hope that makes some sense.
Fred
Yes and no. :confused:

Check your PM's in about 10 minutes! ;) :) :D :p