Time for new 9ft 6 6 wt

the optimist

I have been using a Greys Platinum Xd 9ft 6 inch 6 wt on still waters for the last 10 years. I mainly use floating lines and need to get the fly out a good distance to reach the trout on my syndicate water. With time passing there has been a lot of new technology introduced into blanks like Sintrix, graphene, Konnetic, Nano, Etc . So is it time to treat myself and upgrade - I’m happy to pay premium prices if it’s Really worth it as I will use the rod a lot over a long time but I don’t care about Brand badges if it’s not worth it. What’s your recommendation ??

beanieboy

Sage One 9'6" #6 is the best casting rod in this length and line rating I've used. It's a relatively stiff rod though and some may prefer something slightly softer for playing a fish.

dgp

I have been using a Greys Platinum Xd 9ft 6 inch 6 wt on still waters for the last 10 years. I mainly use floating lines and need to get the fly out a good distance to reach the trout on my syndicate water. With time passing there has been a lot of new technology introduced into blanks like Sintrix, graphene, Konnetic, Nano, Etc . So is it time to treat myself and upgrade - I’m happy to pay premium prices if it’s Really worth it as I will use the rod a lot over a long time but I don’t care about Brand badges if it’s not worth it. What’s your recommendation ??
No recommendations I'm afraid for a particluar brand or model - when possible you really should try before you buy then you will find what type of rod suits your casting style!

devondabbler

My go to 9'6" #6 rod is a Sage Method - Fantastic rod puts out a great line - Like the Sage One, mentioned above, it may be too fast for your needs but I haven't had a problem with bumping fish off due to it's action.

Paul

the optimist

Thank you Paul and Beanie Boy I Really appreciate your thoughts - I have a few sage rods That I love - I wondered if anyone thought any of the new technology was worth it.
Of course it is always best to try first and we all have different casting styles but it it is still very interesting to hear other people’s views and experiences

roger h 10

Slightly different but have you considered the new Guideline Elevation in 9'9"#6? A truly incredible rod at a very good price point although they sell very quickly.

I have been using mine with a Guideline Elite line and it is just a lovely set up to fish with plus at the moment John Norris are giving away a free reel with every rod. Although these rods are a bit difficult to come by at the moment it is simply that they are so popular that every time JN get some in they sell out within 24 hours.

the optimist

Thanks Roger
went straight to John Norris web site - as you say 6 wts are out of stock -
looks a very light rod as well

I'd 2nd the Guideline Elevation, just bought a 9ft 4wt for the river and it's a beautiful rod. Used it a couple of times and it feels and performs better than rods I've got costing twice as much. It's worth giving JN a call to see if they've got any new stock due.

easker1

I was wondering why you are wanting another rod, technology hasn't advanced that much, my rod is 12 years old and as good as the day I got it, just wondering ? easker1

the optimist

That’s a very good question - why change ?
It’s partly because I became pretty addicted to tropical fly fishing for bonefish, permit and particularly large Tarpon. The last big Lady in April 2019 in Cuba partly ruptured a tendon in my elbow. I didn’t do any trout fishing last year as a result and still find it very painful. I had an injection to go Canadian steelheading last autumn but when that wore off I was back to square one. I was hoping a more modern rod with newer technology (that they all seem to hype) might give a lighter swing weight And enable me to get fishing full on again. It’s either that or become adept at casting with my left arm!! The other reason is I just like trying different rods occasionally.

sloppyloops

Where are you based?

I have Sage's in Method, X and Igniter that you are welcome to try (#6 - 9'6").

Regards

Jeff - Somerset

hvenegaard

Why not go 2 hand?
I did a lot of experimenting with the Commando heads from OPST last year. Using skagit casts I could access water that were previously out of reach due not enough space for a back cast.
And as we all know, waters out of reach are where the big fish are, right....
Anyways, 90% of the experimenting concerned my one hand rods, but I also bought a switch rod to see what difference that made. Mine is an Echo SR 10´8 #5. I do believe you can get them in a #4 and #6 as well. I can´t remember what I payed for it, but Echo is not in the top range prices.
Your elbow will thank you.

roger h 10

Thanks Roger
went straight to John Norris web site - as you say 6 wts are out of stock -
looks a very light rod as well
They are getting them in pretty much every week. They are short staffed and very busy at the moment so you may not get a reply to phone call or e mail, best to check their website daily.

The 9'9" #6 is very light at only 91 grams so should be ideal given your injury.

the optimist

Thanks Jeff
that’s a very kind offer - unfortunately I live 200 miles away or I would take you up on your kind offer. Hvenegaard has come up with a good idea to try a switch rod - I want to get one - I do use double handed rods for salmon and used skagit in Canada last year And it’s much easier on my elbow - unfortunately No room for any roll or Spey casting at my syndicate As we have loads of reeds etc In front. Thanks for all the ideas

JCP

the optimist

Thanks Sean I Don’t know this make but will take a look - good of you to think of this

Cap'n Fishy

That’s a very good question - why change ?
It’s partly because I became pretty addicted to tropical fly fishing for bonefish, permit and particularly large Tarpon. The last big Lady in April 2019 in Cuba partly ruptured a tendon in my elbow. I didn’t do any trout fishing last year as a result and still find it very painful. I had an injection to go Canadian steelheading last autumn but when that wore off I was back to square one. I was hoping a more modern rod with newer technology (that they all seem to hype) might give a lighter swing weight And enable me to get fishing full on again. It’s either that or become adept at casting with my left arm!! The other reason is I just like trying different rods occasionally.
This might be a long shot, but have you tried doing the 'Tyler Twist' with a Theraband to sort out your tendon issue?

I have used a 9 ft 6 inch 6-weight for my stillwater dry fly fishing for over 30 years now. I'm only on my second rod in all that time, a Sage XP, dating from the early 2000s. The first was an Orvis HLS. However, such a 'comfy slippers' habitualisation to something that becomes like an extension of your own arm does get you attached to certain aspects that you would never want to change if you ever changed the rod. And for me a (possibly quirky) must-have, is a half-wells handle. I could not fish dries comfortably with a rod with a full wells handle. Pulling wets - fine, no problem - all my pulling rods have full wells handles, but my dry fly rod just would not feel right if it had a full wells handle...

And here's the thing... while the 9 ft 6 inch 6-weights from the 80s, 90s and 00s had half wells handles, almost all the ones I see now have full wells handles. Looking through catalogues, I think I saw a Winston with a half wells, and that was about it. And it was about a gazillion pounds and didn't get good reviews! I dunno why the change over time?

Col

the optimist

Hi capn fishy - a very interesting article About the “Tyler Twist” therapeutic exercise. Over the last 15 months I have spent a lot of £££ On shock wave therapy, acupuncture and various physio. - could have bought some really good top brand rods For the money. The Tyler Twist is all about eccentric loading to strengthen the muscles and I have been doing exactly that with weights Under NHS guidance - it is helping, but slowly - thanks for the help.
Do you know I’ve never noticed the full Wells / half Wells change in rod handles - I’ve got fly rods going back 40 years - I’m going to check them now

Cap'n Fishy

Hi capn fishy - a very interesting article About the “Tyler Twist” therapeutic exercise. Over the last 15 months I have spent a lot of £££ On shock wave therapy, acupuncture and various physio. - could have bought some really good top brand rods For the money. The Tyler Twist is all about eccentric loading to strengthen the muscles and I have been doing exactly that with weights Under NHS guidance - it is helping, but slowly - thanks for the help.
Do you know I’ve never noticed the full Wells / half Wells change in rod handles - I’ve got fly rods going back 40 years - I’m going to check them now
It might be worth giving the Theraband a go. I don't know if your injury is similar to tennis elbow, but I know several people who have used one to cure their tennis elbow - Wee Jimmy on here, included.

The rod handles - the 9 ft 6 inch 6-weight seems to be the one that crossed the line at some point. All your 8 to 9 foot 4 and 5 weights will be half wells, and all your 10 foot 7-weights and the likes will be full wells. In between the 2, the 9 for 6 inch 6 weights seem to have changed from half wells to full wells at some point. If I ever have to buy a new one, I will need to get the handle changed - it just wouldn't be right! 😜

Col

Latest posts