Tippet in lower BS

morayfisher

Trust Member
I'm moving from still waters to small river/stream fishing so am looking for reliable tippet material in smaller diameters/breaking strains, say 6X
Not bothered about manufacturers claims of diameter or strength, just what works in the real world.

I've searched previous threads so know what a can of worms this is but I'll take all suggestions seriously.

Hopefully fishing dries/Duo and some nymphing on a 7' #3 rod or Tenkara outfit.

G

guestrd

Stroft Low Stretch , Jaxon and finally Grand Max Riverge .

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
Drennan Subsurface Green has worked fine for me for longer than I can remember.

In these fancy lines such as copolymer, flouro, high strength, etc. I have found there are both sorts of BS.

Last edited:

BobP

I used to be a great fan of fluorocarbon, but have since moved onto Gigafish Ultra. Very, very good stuff at 1/3rd the price of Riverge. Get it from Sportfish. 0.12mm gives you 3.7lb with reliable performance and knot strength. Should be good enough for anything that swims in a small stream and has stood up to more than a few larger fish from the chalkstreams.

heathenwoods

This season I've been using Frog Hair Copoly for what I consider low diameters (6x, 7x). What that means in real money is 0.13 at 6x and 0.1 at 7x. So far it's only failed once - on a knot I thought was a bit dodgy at the time (so, yes, I failed but it was probably fine). It's supple but 'stiff enough' (bishop/actress). 7x had been good for dries and 6x has been good for most nymphs - this is on threeweights (7', 8'3", 9', 9'6"). I'd cautiously recommend it. I find it slightly more forgiving of the odd iffy knot that Stroft but that might just be perception rather than anything concrete.

morayfisher

Trust Member
Looks like Gigafish it is then.

I was asking as I'd just tried some fancy flouro coated stuff in 6x which was most disappointing. Tried different knots multiple times and it was very weak.
Trouthunter flouro in 7x was much stronger every time but that stuff is very expensive.

Cheers for the replies.

Latest posts