Tippet or mono?

Itsmrb

So what is the most popular setup for line. Fly line to leader to tippet or fly line to braided loop to mono? I'm pretty new to all this.

Thanks

matoakwell

Different people have different preferences. It can depend on the type of fishing you do. For dry fly river work I like a furled leader with tippet.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

JohnH

Some people love braided loops, others think they are the invention of the devil. It's unlikely that the trout care that much....

Itsmrb

I'm just looking for a simple but effective setup for getting started at my local fishery. An instructor I've been in touch with recommended snowbee XS-Plus Twin Colour Floating line which I will obviously need to connect to the fly. I was thinking of using a braided loop and then 4lb mono?

deddog

From the Snowbee website:
"ALL Snowbee XS fly lines come in genuine Snowbee retail boxes, with welded or braided loops, a bottle of line treatment and an instruction leaflet (Except for the budget Classic fly lines, which are also boxed but with braided not welded loops only) "

PaulD

I'm just looking for a simple but effective setup for getting started at my local fishery. An instructor I've been in touch with recommended snowbee XS-Plus Twin Colour Floating line which I will obviously need to connect to the fly. I was thinking of using a braided loop and then 4lb mono?
Basically no.

Casting a fly requires 'energy' to be transmitted all the way from the rod, along the line to the fly. There's no problem with your fly line - it's tapered to make that as effective as possible, there's no problem with using a braided loop but there is no way that the presentation of your fly is going to be effective by adding 9ft, or more, of very fine 4lb nylon to the end of your fly line - it will collapse and your fly will land in a heap or whichever way any breeze decides to take it. The sudden change from the weight and rigidity of the fly line to the mono will not transmit the energy of the cast.

If your local fishery is a still water then 4lb BS mono is not a good general choice, on a tapered leader a point breaking strain of 6 to 8lbBS would be more common.

As a beginner, I'd suggest you 'loop to loop' a tapered 9ft leader with a point breaking strain of say 7lb to your braided loop at the end of your fly line. then, cut a couple of feet off it and tie on a tippet ring. To the tippet ring tie on 2 to 3ft of 7lb nylon and tie your fly to the end of that. After you've maybe changed your fly a few times and there's less than 18" to the tippet ring, replace the 'point' material.

To begin with, fishing with one fly and a tapered leader can be a great help. Experienced anglers and casters may well be able to fish successfully with long leaders, 20ft or more of level nylon , with three flies but I'd suggest that, unless you want to spend your fishing time undoing tangles, the above approach has much to recommend it.

mrnotherone

There are many different setups to get you from the fly line to the fly, depending on the tactics, where you are fishing and for what. I think the advice to start with a tapered, knotless leader (cut back a little), a tippet ring and then a few feet of nylon to tie your fly on, is a great way to get you started. You could fish a dry fly on the surface with that set up, or tie on one or two nymphs / wet flies and sink your leader.

mrnotherone

As you change flies your tippet (or the end of your leader) will obviously shorten and you will need to tie on fresh tippet. A tippet ring (usually 1.5mm or 2mm) will preserve your leader and allows you to simply add whatever length of tippet you require and then add a new piece when it gets too short.

They are not essential, but many find them very convenient.

JCP

Size of your local fishery ? Outfit you plan on using ? Size of fish expected? all will help to advise ''fit for purpose'' line/leader/tippet.

JP

Latest posts