tippet ring knot slipping

prnw02

apologies in advance if you guys have been asked this question before but here goes.
what knot do you guys for tippet rings ?
i had a great day on the test last sunday(3 brownies,1 rainbow)but lost a whopper were my tippet slipped of the ring using a uni knot (5lb fluro).i used 8lb fluro to the flyline using the same knot which held all day.
thanks in advance for any helpful advice

Mrtrout

apologies in advance if you guys have been asked this question before but here goes.
i had a great day on the test last sunday(3 brownies,1 rainbow)but lost a whopper were my tippet slipped of the ring using a uni knot (5lb fluro).i used 8lb fluro to the flyline using the same knot which held all day.
Try a tucked blood knot, min six turns it works for me.
S.

BobP

I use tippet rings a lot on rivers including the Test. 5 or 6 turn tucked half blood knot is very reliable & I go down to 4lb Rio - 0.127mm with no issues.

icaughtafishonce

I have noticed that if left tied for a few months then the knots can fail. I've had to re-tie a few leaders at the end of the season. Next year I'm maybe going to try a mid-season leader sort out. Not that it's hard to sort out on the bank.

loxie

I prefer untucked Half blood knots with fluoro as I find them generally much more reliable. The real trick is to keep testing it.

Jamie Dundee

Tucked half blood knot for me, same as the hook knot. I seem to remember 4 turns on a tucked half blood knot and 6 turns on untucked but my memory could be defective...

prnw02

thanks guys
back on the test in october before the season ends so ill give the blood knot a go,just hope i get a pull !

BobP

I think it was in 2017 I had a few issues with tucked half blood knots slipping which I found very odd as I had been using that knot for years. Very awkward for a guide to be unsure of his knots! By coincidence Don Stazicker had a couple of articles in one of the magazines evaluating the various knots we use to tie on flies etc.

The five turn blood knot rated at about 90%, but by doing the "tuck" the rating went up to 96% of the line's strength which was one of the highest. However, it was noted that in order to achieve this the knot had to be tied correctly, and this was probably where I was at fault. Familiarity definitely did breed contempt.

The way to tie this knot correctly according to Stazicker is to do the knot normally - five turns, through the loop by the hook eye and then back through the loop that has just been created. All perfectly normal.

Having got that far the method is to take the tag end and standing end between finger & thumb of one hand while holding the fly in the other hand. Moisten the line and then draw both ends away from the hook so that the knot begins to form. Then, moisten again and inch the knot down to the hook eye. When this is done tighten the knot fully by just drawing on the standing end. The tag end should now be more or less at right angles to the knot and standing end. Trim and go fish.

Since I have adopted Staziker's method for both flies and tippet rings I have had no "curly" ends to the leader denoting a slipped knot. I've had one or two straight breaks where it would appear that the tippet was weaker than the knot but there's not much we can do about that.

JCP

The tag end is the key to forming these knots correctly as pointed out.Personally I use the Davy or double davy knot.It is small when formed and has never slipped on me.Again the tag end angle is vital to the finished knot.Another excellent knot is the JB Knot which is a variation on the uni.Here is a video showing it and the tucked blood.You do not want knots to slip a little and then bite as normally scars the mono above the knot.Take care and test them it is the only way.Half blood needs X6 turns on reservoir trout tippet which I learned recently from Captain Fishy when a friend had a problem.I use X5 turns on a tucked blood for trout if I ever tie it.The question of moisture/spit is debatable too but each to their own preference.I have tried slow dry setting of knots upon some well seasoned advice and it works just fine.

JP
watch

Last edited:

BobP

The tag end is the key to forming these knots correctly as pointed out.Personally I use the Davy or double davy knot.It is small when formed and has never slipped on me.Again the tag end angle is vital to the finished knot.Another excellent knot is the JB Knot which is a variation on the uni.Here is a video showing it and the tucked blood.You do not want knots to slip a little and then bite as normally scars the mono above the knot.Take care and test them it is the only way.Half blood needs X6 turns on reservoir trout tippet which I learned recently from Captain Fishy when a friend had a problem.I use X5 turns on a tucked blood for trout if I ever tie it.The question of moisture/spit is debatable too but each to their own preference.I have tried slow dry setting of knots upon some well seasoned advice and it works just fine.

JP
watch
Staziker strongly recommends moistening the knot during tying for the simple reason that it makes tightening easier and avoids heat which is probably a major cause of knot failure. Tighten quickly and the result will be a curly inch or so adjacent to the hook which is evidence of heat and therefore over-stressed leader material.

I find that the number of turns can depend on the leader material. The Orvis Superstrong seems to me to be a bit more slippery than others, something I brought up with the guys in Orvis Stockbridge and they agreed so I use 6 turns. Other materials like Gigafish are quite secure with 5 turns.

fishing hobo

The 5 turn uni knot has only failed on me once but I knew it was sloppily tightened as I was in a rush. I paid the price after hooking a nice fish and it slipped so my fly and the fish was lost. I now akways tighten the knot carefully.

tangled

Any of the standard knots will work fine - the best one is the one you know really well. But the real key, the absolute must do thing, is to test the knot really well after making it. A proportion of knots will fail when you test them, it can't be helped, but by testing them you know it's safe and if you get a run of failures you know you're doing something wrong.

For leader to hook knots I put the hook into the finger ring of my forceps or a zipper tag and pull hard. Tippet rings are normally tied on at home so there you can use anything small to push through the hole. At the bank it's a bit trickier, I use the eye cleaner on my nippers.

speytime

Are you sure you tied it correctly?
I've never known of a uni to slip, I've had a few blood knots slip, I like the blood knots strength but find the knot needs to much attention to get it seated right, a uni needs a basic tighten for consistency ime.

Al

jemo

I have used the Davy knot for years, its small, neat, and easy to tie. With lower breaking strain <5lb i would use a double Davy...