Tippet

kenzler

Morning all.

Last season I used Stroft in 4lbs and had no issues with it.
I also bought it in 3lb (1.4kg) but it would snap every time I tied a fly on.

Can anyone recommend something in the 2-3 lbs range please that's not as fussy with the type of knot I use.

Thanks
Alex

R

River Fly

Is it for dries? I personally use Preston Innovations reflo with one of my handmade furled leaders, it's got a very thin diameter for the BS.

I use 6lb 12oz which is 0.17 for larger dries and for the small stuff the 4lb 12oz which is 0.13.

For wets I use fulling mill fluorocarbon.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Sent via Tapatalk.

kenzler

Thanks for the reply.
Yes for dry fly.
Im going to stick with the 4lb for the Usk but wanted something smaller for the brooks and those clear water days :)

kenzler

Will give that knot a try on the stroft and if it fails will get some of that Preston Innovations :thumbs:

rabmax

Let me know how you get on with the knot.I have just tried it on 0.12 GTM & ABR stroft thats been lying in my tying drawer for a few years.It's proving a very strong knot for me on Stroft.I found stroft to be very good when i used it.I preferred the ABR stuff as i found the GTM would pigtails to easy for my liking in the smaller diameters.The Preston stuff i find just as good as ABR but comes on tiny spools that are easy to get in my fishing pocket.Cheers

kenzler

I think ill get some of the Preston in 0.11mm which should be about 3.6lbs
Will try that knot soon as im home though and post the results.

Will also get the correct sizing im having issues with as well...

D

Deleted member 8214

I had issues with Stroft too but I solved the problem - I binned it! If you use Fulling Mill Fluorocarbon why not give their excellent copolymer a try? Cheaper still, and also an excellent line, is Middy, Lo-Viz, Fluorocrystal. Despite the name it's a copolymer and it's made for coarse fishing so it's cheaper. I'd always recommend a five-turn Grinner for low diameter copolymer lines though.

Last edited by a moderator:

rabmax

I am thinking about going back to Preston for my nymph fishing too.Been using fluorocarbon for a few years now.But when needed in lower diameters i just find knots more reliable with nylon mono.I catch plenty fish wither i use flouro or nylon.Never been able to figure out if theirs any difference to my catch rate.:)

cax

It's funny how people have different experience with different lines. I like stroft ABR it's a good line, but I dislike Stroft GTM. Reeflo power line is good but I don't trust their stated diameters but good line all the same.

rabmax

Pitzen, Pitzen, Pitzen, my favourite knot.
I found it quite hard to tie at first .I can now tie it without wasting & shortening my leader much.Tried the Grinner a wee while ago.There is no comparison in my eyes. Pitzen, Pitzen, Pitzen,:thumbs:

Latest posts