Toft Newton

wesleybrown999

Went after work today for a couple of hours basically to try a new rod only to find the gates locked. I know they have problems but no sign or any info was very disappointing.:mad: :mad:

I hope someone takes on the lease soon so we can get this fishery back up and running and back to the Toft Newton of old.

I was there a few weeks ago and had 25 fish so there's plenty in there it's just a mass shortage of people fishing it.:rolleyes:

Andy

malley2us

I hope this is a one off and not a permanent closure. This is one of the best places to fish from a float tube in the country and some cracking buzzer fishing.

wesleybrown999

I know they're struggling Malley it was in the local press last week. Neil wants to sell the lease. Like you said great buzzer fishing and throughout the year too.
Last time I was there 24 cormorants were present which can't be helping matters.
Needs someone to really get a grip on the place.:mad:

wesleybrown999

I was talking to someone yesterday Geordie who thaught it was £4000 per annum. The chap you need to speak to is Neil Grantham at Lindholme Trout Fishery, he's the current lease holder.

Andy

ifor

In its heyday late 80s they used to get if I remember right 350 rods a week from March to October 11,200 a season (Gerald Denton days) back then we had a close season for coarse fishing, lots of them went fishing during that period & fuel was cheaper, lots of anglers from here,Leicestershire used to travel there.

Today there are more troutfisheries about, no need to travel far especially here in the midlands & we have lost the coarse anglers who used to bring in valuable income during the coarse close season.

I would guess at Toft you would need to attract a minimum of 6000 day visits plus a year to cover lease, stock, wages, insurance ect.

Ifor

malley2us

Ifor...just out of interest what does stock actually cost these days ? I presume it varies from fishfarm to fishfarm and with quality and with how much you can afford to stock at one time (ie discount for larger amounts).

ifor

Size of fish to be purchased, quality & quantity delivered also the time youve been a customer of theirs (one of my suppliers Ive been with for 20years) all has an impact on price. My pre season order goes in by September each year.

By using my cages & purchasing 2 tonnes 4480lb (thats about as big a load as anyone can deliver) of fish averaging 1lb8oz giving me around 3000 fish on that one load from one supplier I can get them for £1.25 per pound (bying off them for over 10 years), however that same supplier would want anywhere from £1.40 - £1.70 a pound for the same fish if i was only bying say 1000lb loads at a time.

However my larger fish 3lb+ to 10lb that I purchase from a smaller supplier who & Im puchasing 1500lb loads Im paying depending on size of fish, its a sliding scale larger the fish the more per pound you pay Im paying £1.35 to £1.75 a pound.

If you want Browns they will be well over £2.00 per pound, & last year I did get a quote for blues from one supplier who wanted £1.75 a pound

At Thornton 70 acres average depth 12ft season 1st Feb - Mid November stocking 14,000+ fish a season

wesleybrown999

That's very interesting Ifor thanks.

Spoken to the temp manager at Toft this morning and it is staying open. He went home on Monday because no one had arrived by lunch time. The lease is for sale as I said earlier I just hope the new leasee reads the info from Ifor.

Andy Clark

Latest posts