Tomorrow.

garrynic

As in live in England club water 40 miles but pond down road not far. That was not the point why do some people need so much stuff. Before Foremark shut down I have seen still water fly fishers with more tackle than a carp man. A friend knows an England lady team fisher she takes at least half a dozen very large boxes of lures several rods reals and lines with her. My way is if it doesnt go in your pockets it does not go
My nearest Stillwater is 20 miles away, i prefer to fish the river though.
My nearest river i am able to fish is about 3 miles plus away, i do travel light.
You seem to have forgotten waders for the river in your list of gear.
The better rivers near me are probably around 12 miles away.
Cheers

scobo

Yes, it's easy to social distance in a crowded garden centre - But if you are fishing an isolated upland stream, you will be surrounded by thousands of coughing, sneezing people !

Douglas
Indeed, keep away from lochs and rivers where you'd be hard pushed to meet another sole all day.
But this is fine ......

large_6coronavirus2.png

roadrunner1000

The Bewl online booking system is broken - they appear to have attempted to modify it to fit isolation crieria and broke it. If you attempt to book on line it will say fully booked. Looking at the facebook page you can book by email fishing@bewlwater.co.uk with your phone number and then get a call back to book by phone.

Those big fat flabby stockies from March opening are now lean mean fighting machines- they'll remind you what colour backing you have. Did I have a good day yesterday - whatcha think?
One tip - get in today or tomorrow before the any methods decimate them at the weeekend.

Incidentally the Bewl website is ambiguous; bank fishing is open seven days a week - not closed on Monday and Tuesday.
Hello,

I had a good day (10 off the dam by 2pm) but others appeared to struggle with the odd 1 or 2 fish but it may have picked up in the afternoon (?)
Not many fishing, I counted 5 other anglers when I stood outside the lodge at 8:40 . Apparently only 10 anglers fished on Wednesday, again it was hard fishing for some when a guy I know had 15.
I'm not sure if anglers are/were expecting it to be like opening day. No fishing pressure for 7 weeks but no stocking in that time and it's the middle of May when the banks can be hard going .
Nice slim fish though as you say with tiny green midge and daphnia in spoonings (plus one snail and one sedge pupa) (y)

Paul_B

I'm going t give it a few weeks before I risk it, I'll see how "R" country progresses first, especially after last weekends celebrations.
I know we're told its not too risky if you're healthy, but I have 2 healthy dead friends and several who have been knocking on deaths door :cry:

sewinbasher

Just read on the bbc website that golf is starting again in Wales from Monday 18th. It didn't mention fishing though.
Anyone know if fishing is also starting in Wales ?
The situation in Wales is confused to say the least! It is clear that fishing is now a permitted form of exercise but where and how is very unclear.

The original statements at the end of last week said that anglers could only walk to fishing. On Wednesday 13th Angling Cymru (the officially recognised "Voice of Angling" in Wales) announced that (presumably after discussions with the Welsh Government) driving to a local water would be permitted from 18th May. On the face of it this was great news and clubs started to plan the reopening of their waters. The only problem is that neither the Welsh Government or NRW appear to have confirmed this, both websites are still saying that only walking to fishing is permitted. Angling Cymru are apparently pretty much a "one (part time) man band" and, despite literally hundreds of posts on their Facebook page asking for clarification, have so far remained silent.

Overnight there have been stories that both Welsh Government and NRW have confirmed that driving to a very local water is OK but this is also proving difficult to confirm.

So what we know for sure is that 1) fishing is now OK in Wales, 2) that you cannot drive from England to fish in Wales and beyond that very little else is clear! The annoying thing is that the Angling Cymru announcement might cause Welsh based anglers to drive to fishing in the belief that it's OK but getting fined by police.

ian1104

The situation in Wales is confused to say the least! It is clear that fishing is now a permitted form of exercise but where and how is very unclear.

The original statements at the end of last week said that anglers could only walk to fishing. On Wednesday 13th Angling Cymru (the officially recognised "Voice of Angling" in Wales) announced that (presumably after discussions with the Welsh Government) driving to a local water would be permitted from 18th May. On the face of it this was great news and clubs started to plan the reopening of their waters. The only problem is that neither the Welsh Government or NRW appear to have confirmed this, both websites are still saying that only walking to fishing is permitted. Angling Cymru are apparently pretty much a "one (part time) man band" and, despite literally hundreds of posts on their Facebook page asking for clarification, have so far remained silent.

Overnight there have been stories that both Welsh Government and NRW have confirmed that driving to a very local water is OK but this is also proving difficult to confirm.

So what we know for sure is that 1) fishing is now OK in Wales, 2) that you cannot drive from England to fish in Wales and beyond that very little else is clear! The annoying thing is that the Angling Cymru announcement might cause Welsh based anglers to drive to fishing in the belief that it's OK but getting fined by police.
Exactly my dilemma.... saw the post from Angling Cymru, then assumed it was ok to drive to a local lake, but WG and NRW advice contradicts this. I think I'll hang fire for the time being. A positive for me is that I have another lake just 200metres from my home.

pedros

A fantastic situation for you Welsh members if this proves true, not so good for us frontier town Englishmen.

sewinbasher

Angling Cymru have today retracted their statement now claiming that they were misinformed so at this point in time it's walking (or maybe cycling) to fishing only unless disabled. It's not 100% clear whether or not cycling is OK.

Last edited:

pigsypete

Hello,

I had a good day (10 off the dam by 2pm) but others appeared to struggle with the odd 1 or 2 fish but it may have picked up in the afternoon (?)
Not many fishing, I counted 5 other anglers when I stood outside the lodge at 8:40 . Apparently only 10 anglers fished on Wednesday, again it was hard fishing for some when a guy I know had 15.
I'm not sure if anglers are/were expecting it to be like opening day. No fishing pressure for 7 weeks but no stocking in that time and it's the middle of May when the banks can be hard going .
Nice slim fish though as you say with tiny green midge and daphnia in spoonings (plus one snail and one sedge pupa) (y)

Thanks Roadrunner and Original Cormorant.

I went yesterday and it was really well run. Probably the worst day of the week to go with no wind and bright sunshine but still managed a few and missed quite a few pulls too but I had fun. I fell into the category of thinking it would be easy :).

Was only about 5 bank fishermen out and about. I was surprised to see 4 boats out with the any method boys aboard (some even had 3 per boat not sure about distancing there). So very quiet on the angling front but a lot of walkers, cyclists and horse riders.