Top 5 "Must Have" types of Stillwater lines for boat fishing?

suzuki15hp

I'm mainly fishing shallow water on Corrib, so it's:

5wt floater - dries
6wt floater - wets
5wt floater spare - dries
6wt floater spare - wets
6wt intermediate - wets

That's it.

BobP

I don't fish from a boat but wouldn't be without a sinking and an intermediate line to compliment my floaters.
Knowing when to use them requires skill in the form of watercraft,
and its not the type watercraft you sit in 🚣‍♀️ 🤣

I don't boat fish as often these days, but when I do I make damned sure I've got the right gear to tackle whatever method I need to employ on any given day. No point doing it otherwise.

codyarrow

sorry Glueman no foreign fish in our lochs, I would have to drive a couple of hours to see a rainbow , but have forgotten the Brook trout in a loch near here but they have been there since 1870 so they would be residents, easker1
I doubt it, by Highland rules 1870 still puts them in as 'incomers' or perhaps 'multi coloured settlers'.

BobP

I'm mainly fishing shallow water on Corrib, so it's:

5wt floater - dries
6wt floater - wets
5wt floater spare - dries
6wt floater spare - wets
6wt intermediate - wets

That's it.

The times I have fished Corrib I found that pulling wets on an intermediate to be more successful than the floater. That was a tip from Brian Leadbetter who was just about the top International angler of his day. Something about the way the flies moved through the water. Didn't make much sense to me but the results certainly did.

Cap'n Fishy

Knowing when to use them requires skill in the form of watercraft,

Of course it does. But half the threads on this forum end up turning into a variation on Harry Enfield's character who goes about telling everyone "You don't wan't to do it like that. You want to do it like this."

All it takes is for someone to ask a question directed at those who fish the same way they do, and among the early answers will be some from people who never fish that way, but because they never fish that way they seem compelled to come in and say: "You don't want to fish that way - you want to fish the way I do."

At the very least they will come on just to point out that they never fish that way, or they never use that type of rod, or they never use that type of line, or they never use that fly pattern, or they never fish that river, or they've never fished in that country. Well, that's great to know, but it's just tyre-kicking as far as the person who asked for information is concerned. :rolleyes:

Another good name for this forum would be the strawman forum. It's blummin' riddled with strawman arguments. "Never mind about that! What about this?"

🤪

codyarrow

Anyone can fish however they want, and possibly catch a few. Working out the moods of the fish and water and increasing your percentage chances by correct choice of tackle is what being an angler is all about IMO.
Having fished for rainbows for 40 years now I only fish for wild browns. If you put me on the spot I would say fishing for rainbows on decent sized waters is probably more of a challenge. So perhaps we can stop this derogatory snobbery about stocked fish.

Floater
Intermediate (if I cast this short it acts as a slow sink - or an go to the other extreme if wanting depth)
Sinking di 3 - used very rarely

easker1

Aye Cody 1870 would make these Antiques ( Over 100 yrs) SNH class them as resident now, and as such they have a modicum of protection easker1

Paul_B

Never had any problems on the still ponds I fish using floating lines

There was a topic not long ago that covered this, the fish are a different levels due to hot/cold weather or low/high oxygen in the water due to air pressure or wind differences.

You may be ok with a floater but don't dismiss other lines if you want to have a happy day, those who fish from a boat will know how this effects fish feeding habits far more than a bank angler.

Cap'n Fishy

Never had any problems on the still ponds I fish using floating lines

I mean, FFS - if you are fishing on a pond, you are not going to need 5 different lines. If someone was going to play 18 holes at Turnberry, and they asked what clubs they should go out with, if someone who never played any further afield than his local pitch-and-putt were to reply with: "A 7 iron and a putter is all I need..."

It's a bit different, is it not? :unsure:

LukeNZ

I mean, FFS - if you are fishing on a pond, you are not going to need 5 different lines. If someone was going to play 18 holes at Turnberry, and they asked what clubs they should go out with, if someone who never played any further afield than his local pitch-and-putt were to reply with: "A 7 iron and a putter is all I need..."

Ha ha - I’ve got a tricky shot over a bunker and round a tree to the right, and I can’t see the pin...

Sooo, think I’ll use a 7wt. with a floater and a long leader - dry fly too, absolutely! Fly is a Titleist ultra; with a gold bead obviously..

Only way you can make the shot on a track like that!

🙃

Last edited:

blithfield2

If I may be so bold, this is an example of one of your failings - 'askin' difficult questions'. Ever thought of producing quizzes - apparently they are quite popular?

goldenolive

I mainly fish shallow loughs in Ireland
From top of the water down.
WF8 White stretchy Shakespeare omni floater.
WF 7/8 Airflo 6ft Slow tip
WF8 Lee Wulff predator - 12ft clear fast midge tip
WF8 Rio Camolux fast intermediate (or Airflo 40+ clear fast intermediate)
WF 7/8 Airflo 40+ Di5 for ( Very windy/Very sunny/Very cold days)

Cap'n Fishy

If I may be so bold, this is an example of one of your failings - 'askin' difficult questions'.

What's so difficult about the question, "It's a bit different, is it not?" The difference between fishing a puddle off the bank and boat fishing a big reservoir or a huge lough or loch (in respect to line choice and many other aspects) is obviously vast!

Added to which, it's really a rhetorical question, because it should be obvious. 🤪

blithfield2

What's so difficult about the question, "It's a bit different, is it not?" The difference between fishing a puddle off the bank and boat fishing a big reservoir or a huge lough or loch (in respect to line choice and many other aspects) is obviously vast!

Added to which, it's really a rhetorical question, because it should be obvious. 🤪

Difficulty is frequently elasticated by the audience

mebu

For different depths, there's always the various sinking rate polytips, may not have the advantage of sweep lines but can be used to effect.

Peter

speytime

Imo the must have lines are a floater, inter, fast inter, Di3 and a Di5.
I've also...10/15ft sink tips, 12ft inter tip, 15ft fast inter tip, 3ft midge tip, di7, another floater (dedicated dries)

Al