Torquedo or Epropulsion electric outboards.

Brennan

Hello Col,
Have you made a decision yet?

My 100ah lead acid gave up the ghost on Elinor today and I had to row the boat back. Currently researching an alternative and it'd be good to see if you settled on an option given how deep this thread went into the possibilities.

Steven

Cap'n Fishy

Sorry, Steven, I am still toying with the options...

There are plusses and minuses on both sides that seem to make it a 50:50 one... hence why I am still thinking about it...

I would love to meet someone who went down the 100 lb Bison plus 2 x lithium batteries and could tell me how it was all going....

I will need to get Martin out for a day on our club loch and get him to bring his ePropulsion so I can see it in action...

Cheers,
Col

mhw

There are plusses and minuses on both sides that seem to make it a 50:50 one... hence why I am still thinking about it...

I would love to meet someone who went down the 100 lb Bison plus 2 x lithium batteries and could tell me how it was all going....

I will need to get Martin out for a day on our club loch and get him to bring his ePropulsion so I can see it in action...

Cheers,
Col
Any time Colin
Martin

Cap'n Fishy

Any time Colin
Martin

I will need to tear myself away from the Menteith mayfly munchers... 😜 But will be in touch...

While we are here.... did you have a go on Loch Brora this month. I heard there was a big run that resulted in good catches on the upper river. I didn't know if anyone intercepted them in the loch, on their way...?

Col

Brennan

Cheers,
Col
Thanks Col.

Hypothetically, what batteries would you buy for the Bison? I've not done the research yet.

Steven

mhw

I will need to tear myself away from the Menteith mayfly munchers... 😜 But will be in touch...

While we are here.... did you have a go on Loch Brora this month. I heard there was a big run that resulted in good catches on the upper river. I didn't know if anyone intercepted them in the loch, on their way...?

Col
Been looking long and hard at the diary but haven’t been able to find a gap that coincides with hotel availability
South Uist next Saturday for a week, struggled there for accommodation also
Tried to get away this weekend to Crinan but they wanted £580 per night
It’s nice but there are limits
Looks like hotels are going to be pretty expensive going forward
Don’t blame them they have a lot of catching up to do and for now supply and demand is working in their favour
Martin

11foot5

Anybody used the Fox 80 lb brushless motor? Seems interesting but it’s a tad expensive (but not if it’s very good ?). I’d like to go brushless if they’re all they’re cracked up to be. The Fox is the only one I can find in the UK?

bluezulu49

Anybody used the Fox 80 lb brushless motor? Seems interesting but it’s a tad expensive (but not if it’s very good ?). I’d like to go brushless if they’re all they’re cracked up to be. The Fox is the only one I can find in the UK?
I have no experience of the Fox.
Watersnake do a brushless 70lb 12 volt motor which is available for £369.99 in the UK. I have one in Ireland since February of last year and am very happy with it. It is about as powerful as I would go in a conventional electric motor as it really needs a cavitation plate if it is run at full throttle.

It is relatively easy on the battery, giving me a full days travel in a 19ft boat in force 4 winds a couple of weeks ago with my 95 a/h battery which still had plenty of go at the end of the day.

The only fault I can find with it is that the main tilt pin is secured only with a rather flimsy c clip in the centre which can (and did in my case) come out. I replaced it with a stainless bolt.

11foot5

Thanks Bluezulu49. I’ve tried looking for that outboard for sale but can’t find it…..do you have a link or some other lead I can follow please? Thanks.

franticfisherman

I recently came across one of my pals using a 'Haswing Ultima 3hp'. The LiPo battery pack only weighs 5Kg, the all-up weight is 16Kg. It runs on 30 volts so is very efficient. He swears by it, never run it flat yet in a long days fishing. I think it is a good alternative to the Torqueedo and ePropulsion, the build quality and features look great. Made in China but what isn't nowadays? Prices vary from around £1200 - £1500, expensive but I'm tempted....search for it on eBay to see the details.

frantic