Travel fly rods

codyarrow

Thinking about a travel fly rod - 6 to 8 piece. Does not seem to be much on offer, and thinking about it I realised I've never even seen one let alone cast one. Must be small enough to put away in a corner of the van - couple of times this year were work finished early when I could have got a couple of hours in without the fishing permission officer being any the wiser.;)

pati

Guideline Fario CRS is a very good one but ugly and sloppy finish
Snowbee prestige 6pieces good
Hardy Angel 2 smuggler excellent

beetlebum

I have a Shakespeare Agility travel rod which is actually really nice, regardless of price. The hardy demon smuggler is highly regarded but we're talking a fair bit more cash there.

Tangled

Whole page full of Maxcatch jobbies. I think I'd be using something cheap and cheerful to chuck around in a van.

original cormorant

What on earth do you mean by "ugly and sloppy finish"?

What is the planned use and consequently weight?

"Travel" rods are almost inevitably 9ft,so I assume that's the required length

eddleston123

I've had a Grey's Missionary 6 for a number of years now.

It is 8' 6'' and it fits nicely into my rucksack.

Ideal for small streams burns or a far away loch.

It is ideal for short casts. Getting distance could be more of a problem. it is a bit floppy.

Don't know if they still make them!

Douglas

3lbgrayling

I bought a Shimano7 pc for going to NZ.It was lifeless/pokerlike.I also have a shaky travel 8 pc quite nice,found it a bit fragile(broke 1).but great for on the M/bike.I also bought on the bay a 2nd/hand Daiwa travel rod.but it has a hugh o/s butt piece(fixed) which destroys the ''fit in a pocket idea''Just thinking about this I must cut off the offending butt peice.and stick a whisky cork into it.

Jim

Last edited:

Bobfly2

I also have a Shakey travel rod. Great price, casts nicely, easy to pack. No worries about high cost kit whilst stumbling about through the heather and along rocky shores.

Rhithrogena

Scored a secondhand Shakespeare Deluxe Travel Fly 8'6" 5/6 for £26 on Ebay recently - casts long and beautifully with a DT4 - save a search on Ebay for 'travel fly rod' and check back regularly, something cheap and functuonal will turn up before next season 😉

ejw

Have a few of these, my "go to" is the Orvis frequent flier 9' 5wt. Covers most situations, from large lakes to salt. My other traveller is a 4/5 wt 8' Shakey, bought new in 1990, still going strong. I use this mostly for travelling abroad in salt water, for smaller fish i.e. piers and harbours (where allowed). As it owes me nothing now, if it breaks, so what ! Always finds a place in the suitcase - the wife even packs it for me (or reminds me to get it) ! Also take a travel vice and a few bits, just in case !!!

Black sheep

I have the Shakespeare for the exact same reason as you, in the van ready for use if an early dart from work presents itself. I have to say it’s an excellent rod

coire

I'm another Shakespeare Expedition user and think it's pretty good for the money, although, it's an older model bought (I think) about 10 years ago - 9' #5. The current Expeditions don't seem to be available in that spec anymore but they do 8'6" #5 and 9' #6. I had a quick look and see that Gary Evans has them on offer at the moment.

I like to keep a rod in the back of the pick up but like my Expedition too much to let it rattle about in there! For that I ended up getting (from Maxcatch for an old 4 piece 9' rod) a rod tube with room on the end to fit in the rod with reel attached. I can get a small fly box, and all the other bits and bobs needed stored in the wee pocket on the tube or in the spare room around the reel. Doesn't take up a lot of room, keeps everything together and, inside a posties mail bag, no one need know it's there:)

dgp

Have to disagree. Love my Guideline Fario 9' 5 weight 6 piece rod - light, easy to carry, lovely action, well finished. Had some wonderful days out with it. Way better than other travel rods I've used. Was my first Guideline rod and have gone on to buy another.

codyarrow

Have to disagree. Love my Guideline Fario 9' 5 weight 6 piece rod - light, easy to carry, lovely action, well finished. Had some wonderful days out with it. Way better than other travel rods I've used. Was my first Guideline rod and have gone on to buy another.
Just a bit to pricey for the van. GAC have heavily discounted 4 piece fario's - so may be going out of production?

codyarrow

Doesn't take up a lot of room, keeps everything together and, inside a posties mail bag, no one need know it's there:)
That sounds great. Driving around the highland hill lochs, parcel for Mrs Mackay, then a crafty cast before heading back to the depot. (y)

pati

Have a few of these, my "go to" is the Orvis frequent flier 9' 5wt. Covers most situations, from large lakes to salt. My other traveller is a 4/5 wt 8' Shakey, bought new in 1990, still going strong. I use this mostly for travelling abroad in salt water, for smaller fish i.e. piers and harbours (where allowed). As it owes me nothing now, if it breaks, so what ! Always finds a place in the suitcase - the wife even packs it for me (or reminds me to get it) ! Also take a travel vice and a few bits, just in case !!!
The Orvis frequent flyer was the worst I have had… Heavy and clunky… That said it is purposely very sturdy too

pati

I agree it s excellent but the components are quite cheap and so is the finish. But wonderful fishing tool, as good as the Hardy angel2 if not better.