Treble hooks

running bear

Yes, pricked fingers to prove it.
Sizes 10-16 as is the norm in Ireland we do t go much bigger than that. Usual Irish shrimp patterns, a few cascades and silver stoats in 16s when the water is low.
Anything bigger and it’s doubles and tubes

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Not any more,thats for a good 15+ years now .When i began dressing X2bs from Partridge were my go too,those days we would take a fish for the table,now its neaar100% C&R so doubles and singles are much fishkinder and far quicke to unhook .i also debarb all my hooks pre dressing !

Sash

I tie up to 8s, and the occasional 6: I have caught some decent late sewin when the water has been up, and I wanted a heavier, bulky fly to hold in the current. But mainly smaller: 10s and 12 X2Bs.

When I started tying, my mentor and friend fished the lower Wye regularly, and with consistent success. All he wanted was size 2,4,6 Curry’s Shrimp and a very long-tailed orange GP shrimp, all on X2Bs. Big flies, but they worked really well for him.
And, as Andy points out, this was taking fish for the table.

taffy1

I used to tie a few salmon lures on trebles back in the 90's, also Secret Weapon type lures for sea trout utilising 14's or 16's. There may be 1 or 2 still in my fly boxes somewhere,although I think most had been cut off/discarded early 2000's. Now it's all single & double hooks with crushed barbs.