Trial swatches

Cap'n Fishy

I have been finding when attempting to dye things where you don't have lots of goes at it - like a pricey cape - that it's good to do a few trial swatches with different mixes to get an idea first.

The only problem is the materials sometimes come out differently, and the if the base colour is different, the end result will be different, so that needs factored-in. But it's still a useful test ground. I've been using 'nylon trilobal top' (a white yarn), which Alex F put me onto. A bag of it lasts for years. A 2-inch length cut off it weighs about 1 g, so I tend to just go with that, rather than weigh every piece. Two inches, plus 30 mg of dye gives 3% w/w. The trilobal is like a dye sponge. It sops up the dye in seconds and leaves the water in the dye bath almost gin-clear. It's amazing to watch it happen.

I was going to do some old wings to join in Jimmy's thread on cinnamon and golds. I found 3 candidates (jay, mallard and golden plover), so had a play at getting some colours to do them. I got out the dyes I had that I thought would put me in the general area between them:

EBEST Acid Yellow 25
Veniard Ginger
Veniard Fiery Brown
Jacquard Aztec Gold
Jacquard Chestnut

Tried a few ideas of combos as I worked my way towards what I was trying for. I don't think I was actually looking to match the cinnamon sticks top-right, just give me what I wanted for a cinnamon and gold.

I checked out the chestnut on its own and was surprised at how dark it was. I might have ended up being nearer 4% w/w with it, but all the same...

Also, the mix in the centre has come out quite a golden olive hue.

The jay wings were a much darker base than the trilobal. I did them with 50:50 Veniard Fiery Brown:Jacquard Aztec Gold...

Cinnamon-Jay_7720.jpg

I dyed the mallard wings in 50:50 Veniard Fiery Brown: EBEST Acid Yellow 25. They came out much redder than the swatch - though I did like the colour...

Cinnamon-mallard_7729.jpg

So, for the golden plover, I went for a more yellow mix. and used 45% EBEST Acid Yellow/45% Jacquard Aztec Gold/10% Veniard Fiery Brown...

Cinnamon-Golden-Plover_7723.jpg

The other thing with generating lots of trilobal swatches is that you build up a supply of dubbing material in a vast range of colours! 😜

Col

sightbob

Dont set your dye till you have your colour, start light
then you can add this and that. I played about with dyes
for a while alot of things went in black at the end up. I found some dyes
vary alot from batch to batch which really doesnt help.
John

Cap'n Fishy

Dont set your dye till you have your colour, start light
John

I'm going about it a different way, though John. I am aiming to get the amount of material and dye matched-up so that the material takes up all the dye and leaves me with a pan of clear water. It was a revelation to me when I started doing it that way. So, I am measuring out a particular percentage of the weight of the material. For most things, I am finding 3% w/w is good, but I will increase that for trickier jobs such as black deer hair. Once you build up a knowledge of what percentage to use for what material, it takes a lot of the unknown and inconsistency out of it.

I used to add the vinegar at the end, but now find it's much better to add it at the beginning. Speeds everything up as well.

I'll use less of that chestnut next time, though. 😜

Col

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

truly a master of your craft colin ,love your tying ,photos, and colours ,i used the browny j feathers to get the cinamon colour here but nothing as vibrant as yours
sand fly 14 spider sedge.jpg

dgp

I have been finding when attempting to dye things where you don't have lots of goes at it - like a pricey cape - that it's good to do a few trial swatches with different mixes to get an idea first.

The only problem is the materials sometimes come out differently, and the if the base colour is different, the end result will be different, so that needs factored-in. But it's still a useful test ground. I've been using 'nylon trilobal top' (a white yarn), which Alex F put me onto. A bag of it lasts for years. A 2-inch length cut off it weighs about 1 g, so I tend to just go with that, rather than weigh every piece. Two inches, plus 30 mg of dye gives 3% w/w. The trilobal is like a dye sponge. It sops up the dye in seconds and leaves the water in the dye bath almost gin-clear. It's amazing to watch it happen.

I was going to do some old wings to join in Jimmy's thread on cinnamon and golds. I found 3 candidates (jay, mallard and golden plover), so had a play at getting some colours to do them. I got out the dyes I had that I thought would put me in the general area between them:

EBEST Acid Yellow 25
Veniard Ginger
Veniard Fiery Brown
Jacquard Aztec Gold
Jacquard Chestnut

Tried a few ideas of combos as I worked my way towards what I was trying for. I don't think I was actually looking to match the cinnamon sticks top-right, just give me what I wanted for a cinnamon and gold.

I checked out the chestnut on its own and was surprised at how dark it was. I might have ended up being nearer 4% w/w with it, but all the same...

Also, the mix in the centre has come out quite a golden olive hue.

The jay wings were a much darker base than the trilobal. I did them with 50:50 Veniard Fiery Brown:Jacquard Aztec Gold...

Cinnamon-Jay_7720.jpg

I dyed the mallard wings in 50:50 Veniard Fiery Brown: EBEST Acid Yellow 25. They came out much redder than the swatch - though I did like the colour...

Cinnamon-mallard_7729.jpg

So, for the golden plover, I went for a more yellow mix. and used 45% EBEST Acid Yellow/45% Jacquard Aztec Gold/10% Veniard Fiery Brown...

Cinnamon-Golden-Plover_7723.jpg

The other thing with generating lots of trilobal swatches is that you build up a supply of dubbing material in a vast range of colours! 😜

Col

Superb flies -real gems !. I guess the subtle changes in colours achieved with the same dyes don't really influence the fish too much who will be more influenced by their overall shape and presentation in the water - or am I wrong?

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Do we actually know anything about how trout see colour? Delightful results by the way.

I like to err on the side of caution and so assume they have good colour vision. I think it is established they have cones as well as rods in their eye? They certainly show preferences towards some colours at certain times. That's good enough for me.

Also, a good rule of thumb in nature is: if an animal is coloured, it usually has good colour vision... birds, butterflies, reptiles, amphibians, so probably fish as well...

maxresdefault-1024x576.jpg

And if fish, then probably the Salmonids...

images

Col

Latest posts