Triangular fly rod blanks

JayP

Glancing at the article he wanted to get a licensing agreement with one of the big makers. As he has not managed that in 10 years I doubt these will take off.

He's pushing it out now on a Kickstarter campaign so will be interesting to see the uptake, to generate media hype he should give it to a decent caster and video them chucking a full line out plus 20 meters of backing then hooking into a great white :D

codyarrow

I suppose it will be easier to write your name on the blank. (y) Seems to be a few of these things re occuring in the last few months. There was carbon fibre handles and also the handle with the split in it allowing the blank to flex more.
If any of these things were providing a real advantage they would be in mass production.

Mrtrout

. . . but challenging to whip rings onto the apex of a triangle!
Would that not be much the same on a hexograph blank Paul, or is the angle much less? Not a rod builder as you can probably guess. :ROFLMAO:
S.

3lbgrayling

I also like Andy have a B&W hexograph trout rod,and it is just like a Split cane with 6 flats to put the rings on(hexograph)

Jim

splinters

I own a hexo graph its the Falkus seatrout special the make up is akin to split cane so no ring whipping problems.
i have a vague memory of a triangle section salmon rod fro david norwich ,could be totally wrong though
I remember seeing Norwich triangular section rods as well. I recall not being able to afford one. Triangular and tri-hex bamboo rods aren't uncommon.
Simon.

ohanzee

I own a hexo graph its the Falkus seatrout special the make up is akin to split cane so no ring whipping problems.
i have a vague memory of a triangle section salmon rod fro david norwich ,could be totally wrong though

I was just about to say the same, I still have 2'' long section he gave me, did he ever make any?

JayP

Glancing at the article he wanted to get a licensing agreement with one of the big makers. As he has not managed that in 10 years I doubt these will take off.
Seems that the original guy in the AT article isn't involved in the current launch

davidms

Some decent ideas have died a death. Remember lined single leg rings? Very popular once. Nowt wrong with them. Steve Parton and Bob Church liked them (I think). Worked fine, but just looked a bit, well, ugly.

andygrey

Having watched the video and read what little blurb is on their website, I can just about buy the claim of reduced twisting (I'm not sure how much torsion along the blank comes into play when casting and if it has a noticeable negative effect) but how does asymmetrical flexing make it better to cast? Sure the rod maybe stiffer for a forward cast but softer in the back cast. Also isn't it going to be a bit 'lumpy' when the cast relies on a change in rod plane, such as the set-ups on jumps, Speys and some presentation casts? I would also imagine that unless the rod spine is lined up pretty exactly with the casting plane then it might have a tendency to pull one way or the other.