Trimming blobs?!

11foot5

I’m just starting to tie a few blobs (the dark side beckons!). The fritz comes in 15 or 10 mm. Do you ever “trim” the blob once you’ve tied it? I mean, trim the blob to make it tidier, or just to reduce the size from 15 mm to say 12? All opinions welcome! Thanks.

richfish1

I've never trimmed Fritz tbh. I'd use the 15mm on #6,8 & 10 wide gape hooks. The smaller fritz on #10 and under.
And no shame in fishing Blobs, I caught at least 30% of my reservoir fish on a blob or derivative last year. There is almost always one on my pulling set up somewhere, if you don't actually catch on them, I'm convinced they attract attention.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

11foot5

Thanks Rich, I agree with the attracting attention bit!! I see you mention size 8s and 6s !! That’s big and would create a lot of disturbance, do blobs that size catch as well as the smaller ones?

richfish1

Thanks Rich, I agree with the attracting attention bit!! I see you mention size 8s and 6s !! That’s big and would create a lot of disturbance, do blobs that size catch as well as the smaller ones?
Absolutely they do, an #8 widegape is my standard size.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3lbgrayling

If I feel the Fritz is masking the hookpoint.I sometimes trim to expose the point.But with the newer softer fritz.This does not seem to be as much of a problem.

Jim

Rob Edmunds

Personally I only use 15mm fritz (FNF my material of choice) for blobs.....this softer material makes it difficult to go too bulky on blobs.....

If you want the blob very small it's just 2 turns on a size 12 hook at the eye end.......this will sweep back when wet and be very slim when pulled and will flare out when the retrieve is paused.

Normally for a standard Blob it's a size 10 Fulling Mill Heavyweight ( silver nickle) hook with 6 or 7 turns.

For Blob boobies when a slightly wider gape is needed due to the booby eyes then there is NO better hook than a Kamazan B130 size 8 ( its the old Drennen Trad Wet)

Again I think silver nickle hooks are better with bright blobs - fritz combinations.

Never had the need to cut fritz down.....or even use the 8 or 10mm versions for blobs...( only time I use
small fritz is 5 to 8mm gold/silver fritz to palmer for Hummungus's).

If you do tie a blob too bulky and the hook is obscured don't cut it down from the fritz ends......it will still be dense and like a tight little ball.....with just shorter fritz...( if that makes any sense)

Instead think of use the tips of the scissors and cut the fritz filaments off just above the core......this will layer the fritz and make it less bulky ....so hopefully when wet it sweeps back along the hook in a teardrop shape

Last edited:

11foot5

Thanks guys, great replies, very helpful. There’s always wee tweaks and knacks to any pattern no matter how simple it seems originally. I did tie on a number 8 and it seemed huge!! A six seems unreal! Like all these things you just have to invest some time/experimentation to get confident. I’m normally a size twelve skinny Diawl Bach type of guy and it’s a leap of faith to put on a size eight orange blob!!! However, I strongly suspect there’s room for both on the same cast......attractor/ catcher combination. Thanks again guys, you’re generous with your advice!