Trout fishing for 90 year old

pandamonium

Hi all,

I'm asking on behalf of my father who is a keen fisher of Salmon (in Ireland!) and trout.
Is there anywhere you could recommend that I could take him to for trout fishing, preferably with easy access and not too much walking?

Dad's been fishing all his life, mainly for trout and Salmon and has recently had a knee replacement, months of agony just so he could go fishing again!

We are based near Windsor now.

Thanks very much!

Mandy

smallmouth

It depends on the type of trout fishing your Dad prefers, river or stillwater?

Initially I'd imagine a small stillwater might be easiest? I've never fished these places, as I'm much further north, but you could talk to some of the following about access/facilities:

original cormorant

If he fished loughs in Ireland then maybe the wheely boat at Farmoor would be an option. Obviously when C19 has subsided.

pandamonium

It depends on the type of trout fishing your Dad prefers, river or stillwater?

Initially I'd imagine a small stillwater might be easiest? I've never fished these places, as I'm much further north, but you could talk to some of the following about access/facilities:

pandamonium

Thank you for the links. In Ireland its always rivers, we fish near Fermoy on the Blackwater.
In England he's fished at the Lakes near Reading, but these days it's a bit too far in the car for him.
He heard there was fishing near Bagshot, does anyone have info on that possibility?
Thanks.

pandamonium

Thank you for that. I have never heard of Farmoor but just looked it up.
Do you have to fish from a boat or can you fish from the banks?
He's so wobbly, he'll have me over in a boat ;)

If he fished loughs in Ireland then maybe the wheely boat at Farmoor would be an option. Obviously when C19 has subsided.

shropshire_lad

Thank you for that. I have never heard of Farmoor but just looked it up.
Do you have to fish from a boat or can you fish from the banks?
He's so wobbly, he'll have me over in a boat ;)
Mandy,

If Reading is too far in the car from Windsor then Farmoor is also likely to be too far as it's near Oxford. It's a nice place though and the staff are great. Bank fishing is fine but I found the banks a bit slippy in places so caution advised. You also have to go down ladders to get to the water's edge.

I have walked around the Sportfish lakes in Reading and they appear quite manageable.