Trout fishing near Caernrfon

DAS

Hi,
I'm off for a week with the family to Wales on Saturday, staying a couple of miles south of Caernarfon. My better half has kindly offered to let me go fishing and so I'm looking for some recommendations for river trout fishing that can, preferably, be accessed on a day ticket, not too far from Caernarfon.

I'm very familiar with the Dee around Bala and I've fished the Clwyd before, but would rather not travel that far if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Daran

P

Puss in Boots

How far south of Caernarfon?

I know the area fairly well.
The river entering the Menai Strait there is the Seiont, but a couple of miles south is the Gwyrfai - which has reasonable Ephemeroptera hatches; then another three miles south west finds the river Llyfni.
All three rivers have are lake fed, which fish very well at this time of year; there are also several other lakes in the area.

Let me know exactly where you are booked, so I can advise on the best/closest option.

PiB

IanD

The nearest would probably be the Seiont Gwyrfai and Llyfni Fishing Society waters, and of these the Seiont would probably be the best for trout.
However they are all prime, if small, sewin and salmon rivers, so day ticket prices will reflect this.
The association also has plenty of still water fishing for wild brownies, which can be highly recommended.
Plenty of info on http://www.hgt.gwynedd.gov.uk/sg/

DAS

PiB,
many thanks for your reply. We're staying at Dinas Dinlle, which is about 10 mins south of Caernarfon. I'd be grateful for any information you can give.

Thanks,

Daran

P

Puss in Boots

As 'IanD' mentioned a lot of the water is controlled by the Seiont Gwyrfai & Llyfni Angling Society. The prices reflect the fact that the fishing is for salmon or sea trout; although there is a 'lake only' £10 day ticket.

It's too early for Salmon or sea trout; and the lower reaches of the Llyfni and the Seiont are 'out of bounds' until June. This is to protect smolts.

As you will see from the map; the Gwyrfai isn't far from Dinas Dinlle beach, depending which campsite you are using, you could even walk there.
Great fishing for smallish, and some not so small, wild trout;).

Do you have a 8' #4 outfit?

PiB

sewinbasher

I know that you wanted river fishing and you have some good advice on this but Llyn Nantlle offers a really nice day on wild brown trout in a beautiful location with the chance of a sea trout later in the season. I think it might be on the £10 day ticket that PiB mentions.

pedros

Stumbled across that map this morning. I will be in Abersoch all next week so I was browsing for 'places to fish'. Don't want to hijack the thread but if you guys know of other places towards the south of the peninsula it would be appreciated.

DAS

Many thanks IanD and PiB.....the information you sent through looks good and I'm sure I can wile away at least a day on the rivers. I've no real experience fishing lakes.....can Llyn Padern or Nantlle be fished from the bank?

I've not got a 8ft 4wt......it'll be a choice of either a 8 1/2 ft 5 wt or a 7 1/2 ft 3 wt....will probably opt for the 5wt.

Many thanks,

Daran

leonard123

n.wales......

das....
IMHO......if you must fish a river, the best early river in that part
of wales is the "GLASLYN"..
failing that, you must take sewinbashers advice and buy a ticket
for "llyn nantlle", this time of the year is perfect, a beautiful lake
in a magnificent location.
buy your ticket from the " CWELLYN ARMS HOTEL", no bank fishing
boat only, you won't regret it.
don't worry about the boat, it was the first time i ever took a boat
out on my own, and i had a great day......
all the best .......................mick.

P

Puss in Boots

The £10 'lake' day ticket covers all the society lakes bar Llyn y Dywarchen, which is stocked, therefore it requires the £17 'river' day ticket.
It's a moot point whether a ticket is even needed on most of Nantlle lake, or parts of Llyn y Gader, the middle lake on the Gwyrfai system; as the locals fish them free.

Despite the summer foliage I'd be tempted to try the #3 outfit on the Gwyrfai; the society controls little of this river. I fish Major Yorke's stretch at Betws Garmon - it's delightful 'dry fly' water; if I can get hold of him, I'll see about a guest rod.
However the lower river can be fished from Foryd Farm (left bank) or Penrhyn Farm (right bank), the right side being slightly better water, but fishing into the prevailing wind.
Just call at the farms and ask; the worst that can happen is that they might charge a fiver.;)

Last weekend the Hawthorn fly was still about, but they may be finished by this weekend. Mornings sometimes see some Iron Blues, but they are small #18 sized. GRHE nymphs and Orange Partridge also work; Cow Dungs too.

PiB

DAS

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I may try and get a day on Llyn Nantlle and also a day on one of the rivers. It all looks good.

Cheers,

Daran

P

Puss in Boots

If you decide to go for the £10 ticket; it can be bought at 'Post Bach' Newsagents, 55 Pool St (same street as Wooolworth etc.) Caernarfon; saves a journey into the wilderness, and they open @ 6am.

However Cwellyn would be my choice of lake, particularly if it's a dark or windy, evening.

Also remember that 'Foryd farm' is only 10 mins walk from your camp site.

I was going to mention the Dwyfawr & Dwyfach system; the Erch too.
Travellers well south of Caernarfon; ie. 'Pedros' call in at D.E.Hughes tackle shop in Pwllheli's main street. They will give you up to date info on the Pwllheli & Dwyfor waters, as well as Llyn Cwm Ystrallyn reservoir.

PiB

leonard123

wales.....

pib,
i don't mean to contradict you, but i personally would not
consider "llyn cwellyn" before the month of june, and then
it would have to be after a warm spell.
it's a big very deep lake, and much higher up than "llyn nantlle".
by comparison "nantlle" would be classed as a shallow lowland
lake, as such fishes much earlier than "cwellyn"

das..
go for "nantlle" and have a nice day.....
and make sure the oars are in the boat.......................mick.

P

Puss in Boots

My advice ref Cwellyn was for shore fishing; the margins are fishing quite well at the moment, as late May is a good time of year for it (top end, forestry side). The lake level is fairly low at the moment, making wading a bit easier.
Cwellyn is 468' above sea level, and is also very deep; it holds a healthy population of charr.
I would't go near the lake in June; the midges are fearsome.:eek:

Nantlle is a shallow lake and is, I think, 366' above sea level. I don't bother fishing it; as I think Llyn y Gadair 626' is a better shallow lake. The views from all three lakes are quite spectacular.

I think 'DAS' will enjoy the river Gwyrfai best; I had a few casts as I passed this morning, and the trout were quite co-operative.;)

PiB

DAS

PiB,
many thanks again for all your help. I cant find details of who owns the fishing on Llyn y Gadair. Is it available on a ticket from the Cwellyn Arms?

From the website, I like the look of Gwyfai.......hears hoping the trout are in a good mood next week!

Daran

P

Puss in Boots

PiB,
many thanks again for all your help. I cant find details of who owns the fishing on Llyn y Gadair. Is it available on a ticket from the Cwellyn Arms?

Yes. The £10 lake ticket covers Gadair. I think they have about half that lake. 'Drws y Coed' farm, also have access, I don't know if they will rent out a boat. The Cwellyn Arms should know. Gadair trout are lightning fast.;)
Bear in mind that the Gwyrfai is too small to fish, that far up...

Don't forget the larger river Seiont if you are mad enough to buy a river permit. There is good access to the river, and an anglers car park, in Llanrug, just past the large school.

PiB