trout fly pattern books

hooferinsane

Although there is a wealth of information on the internet about fly patterns and tying flies, I still do like a good book to look at. Most of the books that I have I bought were 25/30 years ago. Those patterns will of course stand the test of time, but I am wondering is there any book available that gives details of more modern evolved fly patterns? (last book for me I think was bob church book of trout flies 1987)

steve collyer

A Passion for Trout by Mick O'Farrell is excellent.
Loads of great patterns for loch, reservoir and small stillwater fishermen.
It's beautifully presented with fantastic photos, and I highly recommend it.

wobbly face

I'm in the same mind as PaulD.
My fly tying changed from tying everything I could find or was recommended to only tying what I've found catches fish for me and where I fish.
As mentioned above, "Barry Ord Clarke's The Feather Benders Flytying Techniques". Some nice and modern patterns but also about learning techniques.
Recent books I've bought: The North Country Fly by Robert L. Smith, he gives the history but the patterns have all (well almost all) been published before and is more a collection put together. Grayling Flies by Steve Skuce, not a bad read. How To Fool Fish With Simple Flies by Dr Paul Gaskell & John Pearson, Tenkara flies (not that I fish Tenkara).
Older books include: The Trout Fly Patterns of John Goddard. Micropatterns by Darrel Martin. Tying Flies With CDC The Fisherman's Miracle Feather by Leon Links.
I even have a few E books (Kindle) though much prefer a physical book.

Latest posts