Trout in the Alps

jack01986

I've been fishing the last few days in some lakes and streams in and around Val d'Isere in France. I've had some success catching wild browns and naturalised rainbows. Have been having some success with black klinkhammer patterns as well as very small midge patterns. The trout in the lakes have been taking nymph patterns fairly readily as well. I have thrown a few hopper type patterns at them as well and gotten some exciting rises to them but no fish yet.

The water is the rivers is unbelievably clear and you can spot fish moving quite easily but they are spooky. The river flow is very fast as well so you only have a few seconds drift time which makes things interesting when the fish take a fancy to your fly! I've another few days fishing so will hopefully have some more pictures to add to this thread and maybe one of a char which was the main target for me will keep trying. The lake in the picture below was supposed to contain them but I didn't catch any.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sr8A5h7g70

jack01986

After a bit of searching I've found a lake that is supposed to have some char in them. Its a bit of a walk but will be heading up in the next day or two.

Some fish from today

jack01986

Thats interesting I'll give it a go. Got one more day left so might be able to get that elusive char.

Caught this really dark rainbow trout as well. Never seen a trout that dark before. Would anyone know why?

beryl

I remember the fast flowing rivers from childhood holidays abroad. They made my Kent Stour at Canterbury look decidedly sluggish!

Were you surprised, or had you practised French nymphing in anticipation? Whatever, it must take quite some adaption in just a few days. Thank heavens for the lakes....

jack01986

I actually had most of the fish on the dry fly and only some fish on my normal upstream nymphing tactics. Some very fun fishing.

BobP

Only 4 weeks to go and I'll be packing my bags and heading to Austria to renew my acquaintance with some rather exceptional grayling fishing. Luckily UK anglers are too scared to go and find it for themselves.

diawl bach

Only 4 weeks to go and I'll be packing my bags and heading to Austria to renew my acquaintance with some rather exceptional grayling fishing. Luckily UK anglers are too scared to go and find it for themselves.
You're a brave man Bob, you and you alone have made that terrible journey to the distant land of the Wiener Schnitzel.

BobP

No,mate. I was born there so am part-native. That said, in more than 50 years of fishing there I have never encountered another Brit apart from a few who have travelled with me.

I have had several enquiries from this site about fishing there, and have been free with contacts and information. No-one as far as I know has had the nerve to go for it. I know of one nice little family run hotel that is keen to get UK anglers visiting. 10km of the best grayling fishing going. Half board package and they speak decent English too.The beer's not bad either!

Trouble is you have to do something outlandish like hire a left hand drive car AND get through those mountains. TOO much for the average Brit I'm afraid.

diawl bach

Cheers Bob- I must say it looks idyllic - clear water

and mountain scenery.

The image above's the River Goiserer Traun "There is an unbelievable amount of grayling in the river, but they are also hard to catch sometimes. Average size is 45 cm, but 50 cms+ fish are caught constantly. There are also very nice natural brown trout "

Sounds like the Taff without the sofas and sewage. Surprised more of us don't make our way to the Alps.

BobP

diawl bach,

All that glisters is not necessarily gold. I have fished the Goiserer Traun and it was virtually devoid of fish following a very long and hot summer. The Ischler Ache through Bad Ischl was full of dying brown trout caused by kidney failure due to the extreme weather.

Also, the Traun is NORTH of those dreaded Alps. I head south and have to confront those 3000 metre mountains. Just imagine having to drive along an autobahn through such fearsome terrain!

The river I fish is fed by the glaciers coming off the Gross Glockner - Austria's highest mountain - so is not susceptible to high temperatures.

diawl bach

I have fished the Goiserer Traun and it was virtually devoid of fish following a very long and hot summer.
Well that explains why they're hard to catch.

Doghound

No,mate. I was born there so am part-native. That said, in more than 50 years of fishing there I have never encountered another Brit apart from a few who have travelled with me.

I have had several enquiries from this site about fishing there, and have been free with contacts and information. No-one as far as I know has had the nerve to go for it. I know of one nice little family run hotel that is keen to get UK anglers visiting. 10km of the best grayling fishing going. Half board package and they speak decent English too.The beer's not bad either!

Trouble is you have to do something outlandish like hire a left hand drive car AND get through those mountains. TOO much for the average Brit I'm afraid.
Bob, I am looking to arrange a family holiday, walking, scenery, fishing etc. I was looking at Slovenia but your mention of the Hotel above interests me. Could you share the details please, I would be most grateful.

Jon

BobP

Jon,

There is all the walking, scenery and fishing anyone could want plus some to spare!

Within an hour's drive is a lovely Italianate town called Lienz. Superb architecture and plenty of shopping. Just down the road you can get a funicular up high into the mountains to the glaciers. Take your life in your hands and drive up the Gross Glockner which is Austria's highest mountain and has a pass going up over 8,000 feet.

Google up Dorfschenke and you'll see their website. Gerhard will take you fishing and will welcome you with open arms. The rooms are superbly finished with beechwood panelling to the walls and ceiling. En suite of course.

The best route is BA to Salzburg. By the time you add it all up they are very reasonable and give you a 23kg luggage allowance which is important for us anglers and they don't charge you for breathing unlike one of the other carriers.

If there's any more info you need then just let me know.

Bob