Trout Leprosy

syphogenic

Puffy skin disease...the rainbow trout disease that nobody wants to talk about, yet every fishery has it. Is it becoming worse...personal experience please?

bibio1st

Just googled it, I’d not heard of it before but will be more observant for symptoms on fish I catch in the future.

Steve

Very Interesting this and note it is a notifiable disease also.Worrying part is it can transfer.Even more reason why fisheries should make anglers use fishery supplied nets.
It is not the same as saprolegnia often called cotton wool disease.As the OP says it is seen quite frequently in most but not all fisheries and down to supply and farms used.But its still around and growing.
Not the same as strawberry mark which farms often treat with formalin.

It does make you wonder though tat when catches are low and anglers are struggling when fish are there,if this could be part of the problem as it puts them off feeding.

As of yet there seems to be no solution and not enough known on the subject .

D

Deleted member 8214

Caught a few recently at Wharncliffe Fly Fishery with PSD. I'll take a photo of the next one though it's not a pretty sight.

roger h 10

It only affects Rainbows. My opinion is that it is probably caused by stress and water condition that doesn't agree with them. If you consider the Rainbows natural environment, cold often glacial water which is normally very clear and pure then look at how they are treated in this country you can understand why they become stressed. I have seen lots of fish with PSD but the main thing that sticks in my mind is that the fisheries with a high rate of infection are normally quite shallow,stream fed, very coloured and get very hot during the summer obviously not conditions that Rainbows like. I have also noticed far more cases since we have been experiencing very hot & prolonged summers.

D

Deleted member 8214

That sums up Wharncliffe in a nutshell; it's totally unsuitable as a trout fishery.

Many of our fish also have lice. I've always assumed that they're more prone to lice infestations when they're lathargic. I put that down to the low oxygen levels.

It only affects Rainbows. My opinion is that it is probably caused by stress and water condition that doesn't agree with them. If you consider the Rainbows natural environment, cold often glacial water which is normally very clear and pure then look at how they are treated in this country you can understand why they become stressed. I have seen lots of fish with PSD but the main thing that sticks in my mind is that the fisheries with a high rate of infection are normally quite shallow,stream fed, very coloured and get very hot during the summer obviously not conditions that Rainbows like. I have also noticed far more cases since we have been experiencing very hot & prolonged summers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait till winter it will get worse and alot of fungied fish will be seen.Not just a summer thing but bigger fish are worst off as smaller ones seem to be able to fight it better.

loxie

Puffy skin disease is a summer condition, saprolegnia is a secondary infection most commonly seen in winter. It is very often seen on mature females which become egg bound, loose condition and get secondary saprolegnia infections.

PSD is NOT a notifiable disease. It's cause is unknown but most likely an alergic reaction to a microscopic skin parasite. Stress from other causes, poor water quality, low oxygen argulus, CR etc excacerbate all diseases but are not the cause of PSD. If your fishery buys fish from a good supplier these conditions should be uncommon. PSD can usually be eradicated from farms by proper inter batch disinfection and proper bio security and hygiene routines. These are expensive to implement and therefore high quality disease free stock fish are expensive and increasingly difficult to obtain. The price of tickets to fish is incredibly low and margins very tight therefore cheap fish can seem like a good idea. It used to be quite common for table farms to try and sell fish in to the restocking trade and this was apache part of the problem.

Next time you go fishing at a small Stillwater bear in mind that a good 2lb stocky will have taken nearly 2 years from the egg and will have cost around a fiver. A ten pounder will have taken 3 and a half years and cost 35 quid.

roger h 10

Just my point a lovely fishery with cool clean water and spring fed. I have fished there many times and can't remember ever seeing a diseased fish.
I think that this is an example of how C&R can be successful.