Trout Spey (revisited)..

richard g

I managed to get myself " stuck " in Auckland NZ after visiting my Sons family in february .
Got to say its the best place in the world especially during the pandemic .
I initially fished the rivers with my normal 9 ft seven and eight wt rods , indicator style .
Decided to get a cheap 11 ft whatever you want to call it rod on the basis that my old ten footers were less work roll and Spey casting .
Got to agree with Luke its a revelation .
The ability to fish places with no backcast room and the improvement in mending the line to get that perfect drift just adds to the easy , effortless rythum .(and i am very much in the learning stage .)
The line weight thing was confusing but ive ended up with a long belly..55 ft switch line and a 34 ft head long front taper spey type .Spey casting for the pure pleasure !
Both rated eight weights but around the 300 grain wt . The rod is rated 6 wt 11 ft switch.
I would very much appreciate Lukes view and any advice .
I want to stick to integrated lines for the time being as i am getting the distance with the present set up .
cheers and...well this place is just full of Breweries and Vineyards 🍷👍

LukeNZ

I managed to get myself " stuck " in Auckland NZ after visiting my Sons family in february .
Got to say its the best place in the world especially during the pandemic .
I initially fished the rivers with my normal 9 ft seven and eight wt rods , indicator style .
Decided to get a cheap 11 ft whatever you want to call it rod on the basis that my old ten footers were less work roll and Spey casting .
Got to agree with Luke its a revelation .
The ability to fish places with no backcast room and the improvement in mending the line to get that perfect drift just adds to the easy , effortless rythum .(and i am very much in the learning stage .)
The line weight thing was confusing but ive ended up with a long belly..55 ft switch line and a 34 ft head long front taper spey type .Spey casting for the pure pleasure !
Both rated eight weights but around the 300 grain wt . The rod is rated 6 wt 11 ft switch.
I would very much appreciate Lukes view and any advice .
I want to stick to integrated lines for the time being as i am getting the distance with the present set up .
cheers and...well this place is just full of Breweries and Vineyards 🍷👍

Hi Richard,
Not enough detail so please can you tell me the make and model of your switch rod so that I can Google it and determine exactly where it might fall in terms of how I might line it etc.,.

Generally the thing about switch rods is that they have flex profiles akin to an equivalent single handed rod of the same line wt.; except that, the switch rod has an added lower grip. This added grip, so that two hands could be used for overhead casting a heavy, and often sinking line, as used and popularised by US fly-fishers when fishing for their heavier species of salmon - which prior to switch rods (meaning simply an added lower handle) they used heavy line wt. single handed rods. It was Bob Meiser who coined the term switch rod, for these rods, when he started adding such handles to help reduce fatigue on long days of overhead single hand heavy line weight casting.

Trout spey rods are not the same thing as switch rods, as they were designed for Spey casting. They become a little noodley and don’t track at all well, if you overhead cast them with the Scandi and Skagit lines, of either type. IE the type with the shooting head looped to the running line or, with the shooting head integrated with running line (to avoid the loop to loop junction, which tends to clatter on the rod rings when retrieving, or winding in etc.

The troutspey rod flex profile tends to range from rods with a progressive flex in fast to slow action options, through to rods with a more speycentric, kind of parabolic action with faster/firmer top sections relative to the butt which flexes more into the cork; essentially a through action, that gives a satisfying kick at the end of the stroke, when properly timed.

If you are primarily using a purpose designed double handed trout spey rod for overhead casting (to cast it like a single hand rod, or switch rod overhead) then simply use the appropriate regular single hand trout fly line, remembering that for the differing line weight conventions to coincide you would need to add 2-3 line weights to get the correct line weight to load the double handed trout spey rod, so that it will cast just like a regular single hand rod.

So a 4wt. 2 handed trout spey rod should be matched with either a regular trout fly line of 6wt. if using a double taper, or maybe a 7wt. if weight forward line type is used - approximately.

If you can tell me also the exact make, model and wt. of your lines too - it will give me a better idea of where you are at.

Cheers and beers,
Luke.

richard g

cheers for the info .
My rods are both described as #6 switch rods .
Not sure if you will get much info on them as they are Maxcatch .( no offence to them as i have a number of their Toray carbon 9 ft which i like very much .)
The cheaper one is called a V switch and the other which seems a little more powerful is called Sky high switch . Both 4 pc 11 ft.
The lines ...Maxcatch... are described as single hand spey size 8 ,,and switch line # 78 .
Very similar in taper to the RIO products ! The switch is easier to mend because of the long 55 ft head ,but im finding that a reach mend with the shorter head line is very effective as well....any thoughts on this point ?
I am spey / roll casting virtually all the time and when it goes just right i get that very satisfying kick you mention and the line bangs against the reel .
Cheers and red wine...and thanks for your time .Richard .

LukeNZ

cheers for the info .
My rods are both described as #6 switch rods .
Not sure if you will get much info on them as they are Maxcatch .( no offence to them as i have a number of their Toray carbon 9 ft which i like very much .)
The cheaper one is called a V switch and the other which seems a little more powerful is called Sky high switch . Both 4 pc 11 ft.
The lines ...Maxcatch... are described as single hand spey size 8 ,,and switch line # 78 .
Very similar in taper to the RIO products ! The switch is easier to mend because of the long 55 ft head ,but im finding that a reach mend with the shorter head line is very effective as well....any thoughts on this point ?
I am spey / roll casting virtually all the time and when it goes just right i get that very satisfying kick you mention and the line bangs against the reel .
Cheers and red wine...and thanks for your time .Richard .
No worries Richard.
If you sre getting it all to mostly do what you want with little effort, and you're catching a fish or two along the way - then you can be happy with that. It takes time to get it down pat, with little changes to gear and technique as you try to improve further.
Cheers,
Luke.