Troutfiles UK Ltd - Any feedback?

2306chris

Does anyone have any experience buying flies or materials from Troutflies UK Ltd, they are based in Morecambe. Prices are really low, just wondering if anyone has experience or feedback on product quality?
Thanks, Chris

grahamn

Glad you asked that question as I found their website and thought it was worth a punt to see their products. They also have a small chest pack for £17.99 which is Chinese made by Leichi ( Maxcatch supplier) and is seemingly identical to one badged by Cortland which sells at roughly double that price.
just need to wait and see.

kingf000

Does anyone have any experience buying flies or materials from Troutflies UK Ltd, they are based in Morecambe. Prices are really low, just wondering if anyone has experience or feedback on product quality?
Thanks, Chris
I bought some parachute adams recently. Some were better tied than others, I had to clear the eye on some and put a drop of epoxy on the post just above the hackle to stop the hackle slipping off. That said, they did float well and tempted lots of trout.

smallmouth

I've bought hooks and other fly tying materials from them several times and never had a problem.

mrnotherone

I don't know this company so can't comment on them. Personally I would always question the quality of very cheap flies. I want the thing attached to the fish to be the best quality possible!

grahamn

Well order made over the weekend has just been posted, so I look forward to receiving them . Much better service than a couple of other companies that I have used recently. I guess they are all suffering the problems of COVID-19.

Last edited:

2306chris

I don't know this company so can't comment on them. Personally I would always question the quality of very cheap flies. I want the thing attached to the fish to be the best quality possible!
I agree Jon, I usually buy from Richard at Barbless Flies but they don't have a good range of streamers and I plan to try some in the current conditions.

catzrob

Very nice people to deal with and quick service. Fly quality is variable - some are perfect others less perfect - but even accounting for one dud in a dozen they are very well priced.

GEK79

I agree Jon, I usually buy from Richard at Barbless Flies but they don't have a good range of streamers and I plan to try some in the current conditions.
I was looking today at streamers in barbless I've never used them and it was suggested today I thought they had a few but they are waiting for a restock..

kingf000

IMO I don't think the trout worry too much about how perfectly tied a fly is. I tie most of my own flies and they would never win any fly tying prizes, but they catch fish! I think the presentation is as, if not more, important than how well the fly has been tied, provided the fly contains the key triggers, float or sink well enough, has a decent hook and doesn't fall apart quickly. Troutflies seem to have improved the hook quality in recent years and their barbless seem pretty good. I use their flies when I want to try out a new pattern but don't want to spend a lot of money on excessive amounts of fly tying material if the fly doesn't work where I fish, or when I just feel lazy!

Latest posts