Trying out different hook and thread.

Oldbones

Trying new thread and hook. And although its only thread, it amazing the difference it actually makes.
Hook, Kamasan B401 #12
Thread, Veniards, Sheer, Primrose.
Tail, Metz, Light Blue Dun.
Body, Veniards, Peacock Eye Stripped Quill Yellow.
Hackle, Metz, Light Blue Dun,
Wing, Teal.
Thanks for looking.
IMG_1434 (2).JPG

Oldbones

No I don't have the book, but I have been watching Nick Mango on YouTube who is going through that book and tying all the flies. I also watch Down By The River on you tube, brilliant for the same flies.
I would recommend any one who is interested in tying these flies to have a look.

Oldbones

Have you got Mike Valla's book?
If not it's well worth getting. It's a really lavish exploration of these flies and their history.
Yes I have the book now, just bought it frim an Orvis shop that is closing down.
The book, it is very nice and great quality. I would recommend it.
The 2021 season will be Catskill flies, Clyde style and Pheasant tail nymphs.

GEK79

Trying new thread and hook. And although its only thread, it amazing the difference it actually makes.
Hook, Kamasan B401 #12
Thread, Veniards, Sheer, Primrose.
Tail, Metz, Light Blue Dun.
Body, Veniards, Peacock Eye Stripped Quill Yellow.
Hackle, Metz, Light Blue Dun,
Wing, Teal.
Thanks for looking.
View attachment 25277
Looks amazing to me.. How long would it take to tye something as delicate as that.. Please.

Oldbones

Looks amazing to me.. How long would it take to tye something as delicate as that.. Please.
Never really timed my self tying one, but about three an hour would not be far off, sounds slow, but I love doing them in stages, take a break, go back and do a bit more.

GEK79

Never really timed my self tying one, but about three an hour would not be far off, sounds slow, but I love doing them in stages, take a break, go back and do a bit more.
You enjoy what your doing.. Good stay at it sir and I hope to see more pictures.

jaybeegee

Yes I have the book now, just bought it frim an Orvis shop that is closing down.
The book, it is very nice and great quality. I would recommend it.
The 2021 season will be Catskill flies, Clyde style and Pheasant tail nymphs.
Lovely fly Oldbones. Is that the Harrogate branch that’s closing?
B

Oldbones

Lovely fly Oldbones. Is that the Harrogate branch that’s closing?
B
No its well up north, Banchory, the most northerly Orvis shop, just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Sad it is closing another fishing tackle shop gone, but every time I go there its more dog and fashion gear they sell and the fishing gear is all in a small space.
They close for good next Sat, all veniard and fulling mill products are 50% off list price.

Oldbones

You enjoy what your doing.. Good stay at it sir and I hope to see more pictures.
Going to be setting up my vise soon, and this next season will be a very slow burn for me, I think I have passed the frantic stage in life and now it will mellow and slow, less casting more quality.