Trying the canals for pike on the fly with stillwater lures

revo

Hello All

My usual venue (small stocked lake) is out of bounds at the moment due to You Know What.

I'm thing of having a go the canals for pike on the fly. I don't mind buying special flies but in the meantime I'm wondering if stillwater lures would work.

A cats whisker or similar, with or without a bead head, tied to some wire trace, jerked back (or figure eight? or stripped?) and see what happens.

Any thoughts, advice, comments?

Thanks

roadrunner1000

Pike in my local ressie do like a booby fished on a fast sinker and short leader but your canal might be snaggy ? I would think that any type of fry pattern should work for pike .

micka

Time of day can be crucial. Unless it's absolutely bitter always try very early in the morning or very late (last light). Pike have distinct feeding spells and I've covered many miles of canals to no avail when they have already fed or are simply sluggish on the bottom.

They really are an "on" or "off" fish, exciting and almost too easy when the former tedious and dispiriting when the latter. Gord Burton also used to say a full moon is always good but I've not really put that to the test myself. Look for structure and ambush points.

Also cold weather = slow, slow, slow on the retrieve (just like trout) and fly fishing lends itself nicely to this especially when the summer weed has gone and you can go deeper.

Good luck

joee

Been having good luck with a Float/Sink3. Cast out and count to 5. Then sharpe fast tug about 5 inches long, then a slow pull the same 5 inches, let it sit for a few secs then a sharpe pull again followed by slow.

They tend to take it just on the slow for me mostly

Rob Edmunds

My best pike lures are as follows.......

20200618_201921~3.jpg

20200425_095251~2.jpg

20200728_180143~2.jpg

The stinger hooks is braid ( same as a braided loop) superglued to keep in position.

The Snakes are joined together with Authanic wire so the don't get bitten off

roger h 10

Rob Edmunds

Snakes are about 3.5 to 4 inch long with 4mm- ish rabbit strip...

Hummungus , just a standard hummungus tying ...size 4 hook with size 8 stinger

The Perch are just copies of the Fulling Mill Perch, Gold - Silver Tinsel Green Glister coloured with black permanent marker, with a size 12 treble with gold flashabou out the back.

As regards hook sizes or hooks it's just what I can find that's a suitable size and strong most are 'odds and sods' that are from my Tarpon/Cuda flies

What I will say is match the fly to the size of fish you are targeting......the bigger the fly less species you will catch.

Standard 5cm ( trout) Snakes in Olive and Black are great for Chub and Perch.

The bigger 3.5 to 4 inch patterns are really only for Zander or Pike..

In clear water Olive Snakes is my first choice on a river or a small version of the Perch , especially if its sunny and the rivers aren't hard fished.....Coloured water or at depth its black snake or hummungus.

My lad fishes the rivers a lot, his best patterns are ..

Olive Snake for Pike/Perch/Chub

Dries for Chub, Dace, Bleak ( anything from size 10 to 24).....14 parachute Adam's is best all round size.

Squirmy Worm ( red) for Chub, Perch

Hares ears in size 14 to 20.....Chub/Dace/Roach/Bleak

2.5inch Goldhead damsel for Chub, Perch and Carp ( he caught on x 20lb carp on a damsel out the river last year !)

Oh on Rivers, I tend to fish an intermediate or floater 99% of the time.....and the fishing is usually brilliant or rubbish..

Last edited:

roger h 10

Snakes are about 3.5 to 4 inch long with 4mm- ish rabbit strip...

Hummungus , just a standard hummungus tying ...size 4 hook with size 8 stinger

The Perch are just copies of the Fulling Mill Perch, Gold - Silver Tinsel Green Glister coloured with black permanent marker, with a size 12 treble with gold flashabou out the back.

As regards hook sizes or hooks it's just what I can find that's a suitable size and strong most are 'odds and sods' that are from my Tarpon/Cuda flies

What I will say is match the fly to the size of fish you are targeting......the bigger the fly less species you will catch.

Standard 5cm ( trout) Snakes in Olive and Black are great for Chub and Perch.

The bigger 3.5 to 4 inch patterns are really only for Zander or Pike..

In clear water Olive Snakes is my first choice on a river or a small version of the Perch , especially if its sunny and the rivers aren't hard fished.....Coloured water or at depth its black snake or hummungus.

My lad fishes the rivers a lot, his best patterns are ..

Olive Snake for Pike/Perch/Chub

Dries for Chub, Dace, Bleak ( anything from size 10 to 24).....14 parachute Adam's is best all round size.

Squirmy Worm ( red) for Chub, Perch

Hares ears in size 14 to 20.....Chub/Dace/Roach/Bleak

2.5inch Goldhead damsel for Chub, Perch and Carp ( he caught on x 20lb carp on a damsel out the river last year !)

Oh on Rivers, I tend to fish an intermediate or floater 99% of the time.....and the fishing is usually brilliant or rubbish..
Thanks Rob, that's very helpful.