Trying to understand.

GEK79

Hello all. I have been chatting with my father who is fly fishing through and through he only ever fishes on the surface and possible sub surface but never deeper.. I was chatting to him about his style as it was curious to me.. We chatted about rods.. He fishes a 9ft 5wt but said if he could find a decent 10ft 6w he would fish it as they are the same.. I'm just curious is that right. I'm sure there may be an explanation or a theory.. Just it's rude to question your parents.. Hope to hear what you all think..
Gary.

GEK79

The 'same' in what way?
Sorry Paul bad explanation are they the same as in fishing wise is there a difference usinn 9ft 5wt rod compared to the 10ft 6w or does the line weight even it out. Or is it just preference apologies

PaulD

The simple answer is . . . there's no simple answer!

I have quite a collection of fly rods - numbers of 9ft 5wts and a goodly collection of 10ft 6wts.

I have a Sage TCR, 9ft 5wt which is a 'pole' compared with an Orvis Clearwater, 10ft 6wt and similarly I have a hugely easy action Winston 9ft, 5wt Biix which is an entirely different beast to a Bloke XL50, 10ft 6wt which is quite 'steely'.

Obviously, similarly actioned 5 and 6wts could easily be used to fish in the same manner - the 10ft may be preferred in a boat or if on a shore with a high bank - the 9ft, 5wt might feel easier on the arm.

The answer is that there is a such a huge variation in rod tapers / actions and line profiles / alleged AFTM weights that making a claim that 9ft, 5wts and 10ft, 6wts are 'the same' is a dangerous assumption.

GEK79

The simple answer is . . . there's no simple answer!

I have quite a collection of fly rods - numbers of 9ft 5wts and a goodly collection of 10ft 6wts.

I have a Sage TCR, 9ft 5wt which is a 'pole' compared with an Orvis Clearwater, 10ft 6wt and similarly I have a hugely easy action Winston 9ft, 5wt Biix which is an entirely different beast to a Bloke XL50, 10ft 6wt which is quite 'steely'.

Obviously, similarly actioned 5 and 6wts could easily be used to fish in the same manner - the 10ft may be preferred in a boat or if on a shore with a high bank - the 9ft, 5wt might feel easier on the arm.

The answer is that there is a such a huge variation in rod tapers / actions and line profiles / alleged AFTM weights that making a claim that 9ft, 5wts and 10ft, 6wts are 'the same' is a dangerous assumption.
It was just my take on the call with my dad.. His go to rod is a 9ft 5w sage rpl.. And I think he said he fell and almost shattered the rod.. In the conversation he said that if he could find an Agility 10ft 6w he would buy one.. So I thought it meant they were the same in comparison.. Sorry to complicate or not explain correctly.. I was just curious..
Gary

GEK79

The 9ft, 5wt, RPL was a beautiful rod - if I could find one now I'd buy it - despite the collection of 9ft, 5wts, I have. There's no way a Shakespeare Agility comes close!
Its my father's pride and joy.. Thanks for your help I think he is looking for a reasonable 9ft 5w 4 piece that if he drops or falls he won't be too upset.. Thanks again..

aldot

The 9ft, 5wt, RPL was a beautiful rod - if I could find one now I'd buy it - despite the collection of 9ft, 5wts, I have. There's no way a Shakespeare Agility comes close!

Totally agree, the 590RPL is my favourite rod. Quite a few come up on ebay

20190123_202549.jpg

Mrtrout

I had an RPL plus in 9ft #5 I bought it from Royvs, nice rod but a bit stiff for me, loads of RPLs come along on eBay.
S.

GEK79

I had an RPL plus in 9ft #5 I bought it from Royvs, nice rod but a bit stiff for me, loads of RPLs come along on eBay.
S.
They are lovely rods.. Just wondered what my dad was chatting about with the rods being different lengths and weights.. 🤔🤔

tangled

They are lovely rods.. Just wondered what my dad was chatting about with the rods being different lengths and weights.. 🤔🤔

It's time to come to terms with the fact that fathers can talk just as much bollox as anyone else. It's ok, it's just part of life, once you know, it makes them more human.

GEK79

It's time to come to terms with the fact that fathers can talk just as much bollox as anyone else. It's ok, it's just part of life, once you know, it makes them more human.
Not sure about that one as I think he was saying that if he can find a 10ft 6w agility 4 piece he would use it the same way as the rpl.. Not so much b0ll0x just me not understanding.And not be too worried when he falls again..

original cormorant

S.
My rpl+ #5 is a 10ft, It doesn't get a lot of exercise because I don't have a stable of #5 lines. It comes out when I know I won't be changing lines.

anzac

He fishes a 9ft 5wt but said if he could find a decent 10ft 6w he would fish it as they are the same.. I'm just curious is that right.
I'll say this: To him they may seem to be and therefore are the same.

For example, many years ago I was running a firearms training course. The purpose of one particular session was weapons familiarity with a number of different handguns. The pistols included a Browning pistol, (L9A1), a Glock, Walther, and a Colt 1911A1 as well as a number of others ranging in calibre from .32APC and 9mm to .45ACP. Each student had an opportunity to handle and shoot each of the pistols. During the debrief, they were asked what they thought of each handgun. Interestingly many of them felt that the larger calibre .45 Colt with greater recoil was easier and more comfortable to shoot than the .32 Walther. At the same time, most felt the 9mms and the .45 felt the same to shoot, and one or two felt the 9mm's recoil to be much sharper.

The point is it was a matter of personal perception based upon a unique 'feel' each person has. I wonder if this -- this 'feel' -- is what your father means.