Trying to understand.

GEK79

I'll say this: To him they may seem to be and therefore are the same.

For example, many years ago I was running a firearms training course. The purpose of one particular session was weapons familiarity with a number of different handguns. The pistols included a Browning pistol, (L9A1), a Glock, Walther, and a Colt 1911A1 as well as a number of others ranging in calibre from .32APC and 9mm to .45ACP. Each student had an opportunity to handle and shoot each of the pistols. During the debrief, they were asked what they thought of each handgun. Interestingly many of them felt that the larger calibre .45 Colt with greater recoil was easier and more comfortable to shoot than the .32 Walther.

The point is it was a matter of personal perception based upon a unique 'feel' each person has. I wonder if this -- this 'feel' -- is what your father means.
I hadn't even thought about it.. I'll ask him next time when we chat.. Very good point.. Thank you

ohanzee

Hello all. I have been chatting with my father who is fly fishing through and through he only ever fishes on the surface and possible sub surface but never deeper.. I was chatting to him about his style as it was curious to me.. We chatted about rods.. He fishes a 9ft 5wt but said if he could find a decent 10ft 6w he would fish it as they are the same.. I'm just curious is that right. I'm sure there may be an explanation or a theory.. Just it's rude to question your parents.. Hope to hear what you all think..
Gary.

I don't like 10' 6 weights, they tend to be the softer bending boat rods of their range, to me quite different to a 9' 5 weight, but that is the ones I have tried, I find generally a 9 footer is a more responsive intuitive beast.

Having said that, the difference it makes is really down to personal choice and he might know more than any of us :)

taffy1

I don't like 10' 6 weights, they tend to be the softer bending boat rods of their range, to me quite different to a 9' 5 weight, but that is the ones I have tried, I find generally a 9 footer is a more responsive intuitive beast.

Having said that, the difference it makes is really down to personal choice and he might know more than any of us :)

One man's meat & all that, fishing with whatever feels most comfortable in an individual's hand is what gives the preferred confidence. After all, we are individuals that like different things in life.....boring otherwise.

GEK79

Not with a handle like that! that is stealing the show from the trout!

Agreed on the RPL, possibly the rod that changed the direction of rods and still got it today.
I think we spoke at one point that your go to rod is a 9ft 5w.i can't remember which brand..

GEK79

The 'same' in what way?
I think I've cleared it up he meant if he could find a 10ft 6w RPL.. I had confused the situation.. I think he feels the two rods would be the same.. But he would prefer the 10ft 6w..do they exist?

aldot

I think I've cleared it up he meant if he could find a 10ft 6w RPL.. I had confused the situation.. I think he feels the two rods would be the same.. But he would prefer the 10ft 6w..do they exist?
Yes they exist, hard to get but I may know of one for sale, pm if interested

PaulD

The Sage RPL 6100 will appear infrequently on Ebay and other auction sites but they're not common. They're 'old', the RPLs appeared first of all in 1989.

GEK79

The Sage RPL 6100 will appear infrequently on Ebay and other auction sites but they're not common. They're 'old', the RPLs appeared first of all in 1989.
Wow they are a decent age I'm sure my dad has had his a very long time it was the rod I was not allowed to use as a late teen.. 😜And that could explain why he worried about breaking it..

Wee Jimmy

I own two Sage RPLs both 9'6", one is a #5 weight the other is a #6 weight. The 6 is much pokier.

GEK79

I use both of them exclusively for dries Gary. The five gets the most use out of the two. I bring out the six for bigger flies (mayfly time).
My dad said I can have his when he leaves.. I may invest in one beforehand.. Are they 2 piece or 4 piece rods please..

Just the buzzer

I share your fathers like of fishing on the top or just sub surface , I don’t really enjoy dunk line fishing.... but I catch my fair share of fish

GEK79

I share your fathers like of fishing on the top or just sub surface , I don’t really enjoy dunk line fishing.... but I catch my fair share of fish
He actually asked me about sinking lines during our conversation which shocked me as in my eyes he is an amazing fisherman..

Paul_B

My elder brother is in his 90s and likes a sinking line when the weather calls for it, he'll use a black pennell or hares ear type of fly, fished slowly.

roger h 10

The 9ft, 5wt, RPL was a beautiful rod - if I could find one now I'd buy it - despite the collection of 9ft, 5wts, I have. There's no way a Shakespeare Agility comes close!
They certainly were a great rod I had one built on an imported blank as they weren't available over here at the time.I used that rod for everything until I was unfortunate enough to snap it at Chalk Springs. The insurance that I got on it was enough to buy an XP but I never liked that as much as the RPL. :(

Wee Jimmy

They certainly were a great rod I had one built on an imported blank as they weren't available over here at the time.I used that rod for everything until I was unfortunate enough to snap it at Chalk Springs. The insurance that I got on it was enough to buy an XP but I never liked that as much as the RPL. :(
Try as I might Roger,I cant get on with my #5 weight XP..