Tube fly materials & tips please :)

luke troutstalker

I want to tie some small tubes to try and target some of the bigger browns this year. Not brave enough to attempt night wading, besides, subo doesn't let me out after 9 PM, so it'll just be daytime stuff.

I am just using a SH setup for now, and learning the casts, so I think fast sink polyleaders and unweighted tubes might be a bit easier to get along with, and less risk of dinking the rod with a weighted tube.

I have watched a few vids, and have got the general gist, but what I'm lacking in is materials of that nature - tube material and long hair. Arctic fox / temple dog I believe? I have most of the rest, all barring a bit of crystal flash. Colour wise, a lad on my stretch does well on very dark flies, black and dark green wing, silver body, with a sparse yellow/blue throat.

Would anyone have a few bits and bats knocking about they would swap or sell?

Also, are there any readily available tube materials from around the house? WD40 straw maybe ?

In this vid here, the black plastic tubing looks like its some kind of micro irrigation tube - the barbs in the end look like they may be used to secure the tube in a grow bag or something ?

Fly tying: salmon/sea trout tube fly: Chartreuse Soerensen - YouTube

If not, perhaps a steer on what to buy would be good, I can have a trolley dash next week at the BFFI. :whistle:

Cheers,

Mike

sculpin_crusader

Mike I have tied and used these before. The baptiser by Steve Thornton. Unweighted tied on a cotton bud tube. Zonker tail, cross cut rabbit then marabou in a dubbing loop at the head.

scoobyscott

Was just going to say cotton buds, knocked a couple of those up tonight. Don't look as good as that mind.
Mike I've got synthetic yak hair, I got it for pike flies but haunt used it really. Not sure colours but pm your address if you fancy some ;)

luke troutstalker

Thanks Scott, will drop you a PM. I'll return the favour. :thumbs:

I like the look of that baptiser, I can probably rustle up the materials for that, all bar the rabbit.

I tried a quick knock up on a piece of tube tonight with some long deerhair and squirrel tail ; it's not as easy as I thought. I was tying with power silk, and I had problems with materials moving round the tube. I'll stick at it, the tube I used felt a bit chunky.

scoobyscott

No probs.
I tied the tube long with the end of the tube clamped in the vice. This stopped it spinning then it was just a case of snipping the squashed bit off once finished.

Guest100

Thanks Scott, will drop you a PM. I'll return the favour. :thumbs:

I like the look of that baptiser, I can probably rustle up the materials for that, all bar the rabbit.

I tried a quick knock up on a piece of tube tonight with some long deerhair and squirrel tail ; it's not as easy as I thought. I was tying with power silk, and I had problems with materials moving round the tube. I'll stick at it, the tube I used felt a bit chunky.

Invest in a tube fly kit with the three needles Mike. Use the correct size needle for the tube diameter you're tying on and they won't spin. Don't need anything fancy, this is the one I use, a fiver:

Tube vice adapter.

Last edited:

luke troutstalker

For 5 quid, it's done !

What thread would be ideal? Power silk doesn't seem to have the grab. Perhaps a bonded thread might be more suitable.

Guest100

For 5 quid, it's done !

What thread would be ideal? Power silk doesn't seem to have the grab. Perhaps a bonded thread might be more suitable.
I use Uni-Thread 8/0, Mike. No problems. The tube kit takes a bit of getting used to, but it soon proves invaluable.If you're tying plastic, put a piece of tube on the needle that's longer than the fly you're intending to tie, this gives you more room to work with. Once you've tied it and varnished the head, snip the tube down. Small piece of thin silicone tube to hold the hook in place - job done. If you're tying on aluminum you have to tie to the tube and sleeve length. So practice on the plastic first.

I get tube packs from Foxons, that have a few diameters in, but generally I only use the thinner ones for sea trout.

Last edited:

luke troutstalker

Stuart- thanks :thumbs: I have some uni 8/0 in purple, I also have a black sharpie.

Many moons ago, I dipped my toe into tying, and bought a job lot off eBay , 30 quid or so. I gave it up as a bad job and chucked it back on, but I'm sick now, when I think back there was a load of stuff in it that I could use now. Loads of copper and Ali, numerous big hair patches in all kinds of colours. :eek:mg:

This is the beastie that the lad I know from my club water had been doing well on, I have this one he gave me, and a couple I have pulled out of trees over the year ;)

buzzer1234

Mike I have a few tubes I got in job lot of tackle I bought a few years ago, If you would like them pm me your address & I will post them on .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

graham a

I use plastic antenna tubing from a shop that does radio control toys , around £2.20 for several long pieces in mixed colours . A packet will tie lots of flys , cut to you own requirements , not sure of the diameter but about rite . They also do metal tubing but if you go for that then take a cotton bud , plastic liner with you to get the rite fit .

luke troutstalker

Some tubes and hair have been procured...thanks to those that helped out :thumbs:

Much trickier than I thought it would be, not easy to keep the head small.

ant77

Whats that green stuff in the throat on the first pic, Mike? I bought some too but it isn't labelled :confused: Doh! I'll post those tubes and flash mañana.

luke troutstalker

It's the same you got from Wendy's ( is that right, the corner plot full of obscurities like Peruvian man eating water baboon ) or at least you picked it up, squirrel tail.

ant77

Cheers mate, thought it was! Nice ties btw, but I'm not qualified to comment :D I think the ones Jon gave me are a little sparser - he was the best thing about the BFFI :thumbs: