Tungsten beads

para7

Just out of curiosity,
Has anyone purchased any Tungsten beads from Amazon. Interested to hear what your thoughts are if any?
Thanks.

wobbly face

No.
Any cheap beads have little tungsten in them so would recommend a reputable dealer.
If you can use a magnet to pick them up, then there's not much tungsten in them.

rabmax

Joel at tungsten beads UK must be hard to beat on price..Have always bought from him.Buy powder pink beads of an ebay seller.There more expensive but can't get then anywhere else.

kingf000

No.
Any cheap beads have little tungsten in them so would recommend a reputable dealer.
If you can use a magnet to pick them up, then there's not much tungsten in them.
Pure tungsten is paramagnetic, so a strong magnet can pick it up. The key feature is not how much tungsten it contains, but what the bead weighs. Tungsten alloys are often used because they are easier to machine and still have a high density. Some alloys are magnetic, some are not. I have two 4mm countersunk tungsten beads from different suppliers, one is magnetic the other isn't. However, they both weigh exactly the same at 0.48g. The size is the same as checked by my micrometre gauge.
Before I buy from a supplier, I always contact them to check the weight.

kingf000

For guidance, Tungsten beads plus give the weights of their countersunk beads:

1.5mm 0.02g
2mm 0.055g
2.5mm 0.1g
3mm 0.2g
3.5mm 0.31g
4.0mm 0.46g

Their slotted beads weight the same.

I've ordered some Maxcatch ones and will be interested to see how the weights compare.

Calder Junky

Pure tungsten is paramagnetic, so a strong magnet can pick it up. The key feature is not how much tungsten it contains, but what the bead weighs. Tungsten alloys are often used because they are easier to machine and still have a high density. Some alloys are magnetic, some are not. I have two 4mm countersunk tungsten beads from different suppliers, one is magnetic the other isn't. However, they both weigh exactly the same at 0.48g. The size is the same as checked by my micrometre gauge.
Before I buy from a supplier, I always contact them to check the weight.

Tungsten beads aren’t machined but effectively moulded in a sintering process of finely divided powdered metal which is where the ability to vary the tungsten content comes from by using cheaper but less dense metal powders to bulk the more expensive tungsten powder out. Also the higher the pressure used to compact the powder into the ‘mould’ the more dense the resultant bead will be. ( the beads are actually slightly porous and contain small voids, the fewer voids the denser the beads will be for any given powder mix so basically the tungsten content of the starting material is one consideration in making a dense bead but also the degree to which the powder is compacted. Once moulded the beads are heated to high temperature to fuse the tungsten.

Fish On are well worth a look for competitively priced beads.

Tight Lines,

Andy

Last edited:

kingf000

Tungsten beads aren’t machined but effectively moulded in a sintering process of finely divided powdered metal which is where the ability to vary the tungsten content comes from by using cheaper but less dense metal powders to bulk the more expensive tungsten powder out. Also the higher the pressure used to compact the powder into the ‘mould’ the more dense the resultant bead will be. ( the beads are actually slightly porous and contain small voids, the fewer voids the denser the beads will be for any given powder mix so basically the tungsten content of the starting material is one consideration in making a dense bead but also the degree to which the powder is compacted. Once moulded the beads are heated to high temperature to fuse the tungsten.

Fish On are well worth a look for competitively priced beads.

Tight Lines,

Andy
Thank you for enlightening me. Presumably the same thing goes for pure tungsten vs alloys with this process: some alloys are softer and easier to compact under pressure, a lower temperature needed to fuse the powder and hence the cheaper to produce? Pure tungsten melts at 3,422oC

As I've said before, the key is - what is the weight of the beads for a given size.

kingf000

For guidance, Tungsten beads plus give the weights of their countersunk beads:

1.5mm 0.02g
2mm 0.055g
2.5mm 0.1g
3mm 0.2g
3.5mm 0.31g
4.0mm 0.46g

Their slotted beads weight the same.

I've ordered some Maxcatch ones and will be interested to see how the weights compare.
For comparison: Maxcatch countersunk beads:
3.3mm 0.25g
2.8mm 0.14g
2.4mm 0.1g
2.0mm 0.05g

Last edited:

Calder Junky

Thank you for enlightening me. Presumably the same thing goes for pure tungsten vs alloys with this process: some alloys are softer and easier to compact under pressure, a lower temperature needed to fuse the powder and hence the cheaper to produce? Pure tungsten melts at 3,422oC

As I've said before, the key is - what is the weight of the beads for a given size.

Calder Junky

The beads are never pure tungsten from any source due to the exceptionally high melting point of tungsten as you point out, even the alloys melt beyond 1000 degrees Celsius and in fact closer to 2000 still but there is some difference in tungsten purity between the various alloys resulting in differing densities for us anglers.

Tight lines,

Andy

kingf000

Try this at £2-72p per 25 (slotted) from Maxcatch
Yes, would anyone in their right mind buy tungsten beads for over 40p each?

kingf000

There are these. £2.59 for 25

Same manufacturer, same seller, same description of slotted when they are countersunk! £7.58 if you don't have Prime.