Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tungsten flies when heavy out fishes light?

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JCP 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a question for the more experienced anglers that use a french leader. Thusly I was fishing a river with a friend and the flow was slow to moderate. Waist deep water, Flies 2,5mm in 16 top and bottom fly size 12 2.5 mm

Friend was using 2,5mm size 16 top fly and 5mm size 10 fly.

Odd fish was rising so the fish were active. I was 100% sure my flies were getting down and I was getting nice drifts occasionally tapping the bottom. I had one fish and two takes and my friend had 5 fish grayling and lots of takes. In the space of half and hour over the same 40m of water.

How was this possible given the fact his flies were hitting bottom almost instantly had to drag his flies back to him as we both were casting up stream. My flies had nice natural drift with the speed of the river his clearly did not yet the fish really wanted this unnatural drift etc. All fish were on the sz16 both only fishing 2 fly rig.

Anyone got any answers?

I hardly use any 5mm flies possibly in flood water conditions ONLY.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a question for the more experienced anglers that use a french leader. Thusly I was fishing a river with a friend and the flow was slow to moderate. Waist deep water, Flies 2,5mm in 16 top and bottom fly size 12 2.5 mm

Odd fish was rising so the fish were active. I was 100% sure my flies were getting down and I was getting nice drifts occasionally tapping the bottom. I had one fish and two takes and my friend had 5 fish grayling and lots of takes. In the space of half and hour over the same 40m of water.

How was this possible given the fact his flies were hitting bottom almost instantly had to drag his flies back to him as we both were casting up stream. My flies had nice natural drift with the speed of the river his clearly did not yet the fish really wanted this unnatural drift etc. All fish were on the sz16 both only fishing 2 fly rig.

Anyone got any answers?

Could it be the erratic tripping and lifting imparted a natural ''induced'' movement into the nymphs ?
JP

#4 ·

Anyone got any answers?

Was there much of a difference between the distance from point fly to dropper?

#6 ·
They don't alway's want a dead drift.I often fish a drop shot nymph rig in winter. Sometimes with as much weight as your mate or more.Basicaly drag it along the bottom giving little lifts during the drift.( To induce takes).Don't alway's do this though even with a drop shot rig.Often looking to glide through the zone.Different day's they want different presentations.Good subject though & nice to read what other fishers experience. Cheers

#8 ·
I would say that your friend's heavy point fly slowed down the whole rig thus giving the fish more time to see the fly. Your lighter rig was travelling through quicker and in cold water the grayling were reluctant to move. They are well noted for wanting the fly all but delivered straight into their mouths at the best of times and in winter even more so.

A good reason for having a box of split shot to add to the leader between the two flies. I had to add shot to a leader back in October in order to get a nymph down to grayling sitting in a clear pocket between weedbeds on the Itchen where the tungsten beaded nymph was not heavy enough to get down quickly into the limited space. Couple of BB dropped the rig straight into the hole and got one of the two grayling I had seen. Not pretty and certainly not chalkstream etiquette but effective.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies chaps. Basically my mate's presentation sucked he was basically dragging the flies along the bottom pretty sure. They anchored up at times too! The currant wasn't strong enough to move them. Calling what he was doing a drift would be stretching the word "drift" lol.

And this was last October not too cold. Fish were rising occasionally.

I agree with you Bob he must have been delivering the flies straight into the fishes mouths!. I was just very frustrated that had I not seen it wouldn't have believed it.

#11 ·
Well, all you can say icejohn is that they don't call them "Lady of the Stream" for nothing. Sometimes they are just plain blo*dy minded.

On reflection, when his rig hung up it would have swung the dropper nymph closer to the bottom and if that happened right in front of the grayling............!

#13 ·
I do love Grayling, maybe because they're not the smartest fish in the river, although as BobP says they can be bloody minded.

I remember one day in the 1st pool on the Lambourn stretch in Newbury, I had the rod held up vertical with the point fly dangling no more than 5' behind me, probably more like 3', as I fixed something on the setup, and yup a 15" lady decided it was a perfectly acceptable drift.

Can't remember if I counted it in my "number" for the day :unsure:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.