Tunstall Reservoir, Durham

TroutAtlas

Tunstall reservoir is located within the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty near Wolsingham in County Durham. The stillwater is owned by Northumbrian Water plc who lease the fishing to Weardale Fly Fishing Club.

Last edited by a moderator:

noel

Tunstall Reservoir

any information regarding this would be appreciated i.e who runs it, prices .I live within 40 mins of this but normally stop at witton castle before getting there so i know exactly where it is

noel

Hi all been out today and checked this site out; tunstall is run by tunstall flyfishers and the rates are £16 all day for six fish,day tickets available from wolsingham paper shop season being march-october

HOOK

Hello noel I have been a member of Tunstall Fishery for about 6 years to become a member there is a waiting list there is 200 members at a cost this season £100, boats are £10 a day supply your own electric motor, we have to kill our first fish then it's C&R you are also allowed to hire a boat on your own, It's value for money where can you fish 7 days a week for £100 for browns and rainbows best brown last year 9lb, on Tues and Wed evenings in the warmer months members have mini comps in the boats. I'll PM you with regard to the secretary address if you want it.Regards Robbie:)

HOOK

Hello All, First day out to-day on Tunstall caught 9 all bows on inter/line and a Cats Whisker thats all they wanted, weather was very good.Regards Robbie:)

timberdog

Hi have fished tunstall for best part of 30 years on day tickets it is my intention to join this year , great place for a day out bank or boat fishing or just sit with a sarnie/cup of tea and enjoy ,the lads are great in the lodge tips on flies ect get some flies of john liddle he is the man when it comes down to flies on tunstall water

noel

Hi have fished tunstall for best part of 30 years on day tickets it is my intention to join this year , great place for a day out bank or boat fishing or just sit with a sarnie/cup of tea and enjoy ,the lads are great in the lodge tips on flies ect get some flies of john liddle he is the man when it comes down to flies on tunstall water

Hi Timberdog hope to start fishing there soon a death at work has altered my plans for the next month will takeyour advice about john liddle is he there most weekends:guinness::wine::whistle:

HOOK

Aye timberdog, I've fished with John Liddle a few times he is a brilliant tyer and yet I've traded flies with him, some-times when I've been in the boat if I see John on the bank I've picked him up at the lodge and fished the boat with him and I have learnt from him, he is a good alround angler and caught the biggest brown last season at 8lb-8oz.There's only one problem with Tunstall it's a country park open to the public and although we have signs up not to approach anglers or keep a way from the waters edge, they like to stand behind us and put there safety and eye's at risk thats why I like to fish the evening rise and the far bank.Regards Robbie:)

timberdog

tunstall membership

any information regarding this would be appreciated i.e who runs it, prices .I live within 40 mins of this but normally stop at witton castle before getting there so i know exactly where it is

hi joined tunstall fly fishers this year excellent value ,great place to fish other members give you good advice, good crack in the fishing lodge with a cup of tea then back out fishing better now got meself a second hand outboad. :)

noel

Hi Timberdog if you don't mind me asking how much is membership cheers Noel:guinness::guinness::wine::wine:

HOOK

Hi noel it's £I00 per season and £10 for the boat per day.

I was up to-day got 5 on the pearl sugar cube and 1 on a black pennel with chain bead eyes I rose 4 fish to the cube but didn't connect with them, most of the lads were catching on lures, hare's ear, and black and red PTNs.Regards Robbie:)

HOOK

Tunstall Res. Wolsington near Stanhope

Picture079.jpg

Picture078.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Picture074.jpg

HOOK

Hi All, I fished the bay to-day 11am to 5pm conditions were very hot and bright all day there were a lot of fish topping, I fished floater and a pearl sugar cube pricked 7 but only landed 2. Fishery rules kill first fish then C&R. I look forward to my next visit. Regards Robbie:)

HOOK

Hello All fished off the point in the bay to-day, hard wind blowing down from the dam wall having to cast across the wind no fish rising so I tried inter/line nowt so changed to floater and long leader and Dawsons Olive 8 fish 2 missed, 3 lost to the net and 3 caught, the wind made it difficult but it was no use moving because fish were being caught in the bay. Also 6 boats were out and they were also catching on Dawsons Olives.:D Regards Robbie

pedro

Hi noel,Thinking about trying a day on the boat tommorow how did they do yesterday and where were they getting fish,my last trip the bank was fishing better than the boat is that still the case.

HOOK

Hi pedro. All 6 boats were out on Friday they were mostly down the bottom of the reservoir and anchored up the wind was very strong and it forced 5 of them off the water by 3pm the last one stopped out until 5pm the bailiff told me they were catching on Dawsons Olives mainly as we were on the bank. :D Regards Robbie

pedro

Hi robbie,Think i will just stick to the bank i like to get afloat more when the dries are on spoke to a friend who was up today usual flies and areas working.Thanks for the info maybe bump into you up there.

Last edited:

gazzawill

can you still fish tunstall on a day ticket if so where do you get them last time i fished there it was just an honesty box and you put cash in envelope ect

i loved fishing there tho so a bit info on day tickets appreciated thanks

gary:)

pedro

Hi gary,yes you can get a ticket from the lodge on a weekend or from the paper shop in village during week,fishing starts at 7.00 and its 18quid for 6 then c+r after up to 30 fish i think.Boats are 10 quid but book in advance,hope this helps.