Tups Indispensable

Oldbones

I just could not get a good pic of these today.
But they are size 14, a bit fiddley but they will catch I am sure of it.
I made the dubbing myself, so that was interesting, I think I need more white in there. I could not get the real thing.
Still, it was good having a try at these, I did one last season and never fished it, but I will this season.
attempt 71.JPG

Oldbones

Well, any will do, you cant tell the difference really, Ram, Goat, Horse what ever ??????y

BobP

bet you could if you were shearing, easker1
I think anyone would be rather stupid to try. Imagine nicking the ram's wotsits with the shears! You'd never be able to run fast enough.

I tied up some modern versions yesterday using Funky Fly Tying's Disco Pink for the thorax. A tiny amount in a dubbing spinner creates a nice tight thorax with just a hint of sparkle.

easker1

I spent a summer shearing in the mid sixties using the old hand shears, but the Rams were elsewhere, There were some Itinerant shearers there, Old guys working from farm to farm, sleeping in the barns at night, I was lucky I was camping, I don't suppose there are many itinerant shearers left, easker1

BobP

I spent a summer shearing in the mid sixties using the old hand shears, but the Rams were elsewhere, There were some Itinerant shearers there, Old guys working from farm to farm, sleeping in the barns at night, I was lucky I was camping, I don't suppose there are many itinerant shearers left, easker1

I'm not surprised. Snipping away around a ram's thingys has got to be worth danger money.

Sheep shearing always raises a laugh in my family. Years ago I lived in south Wiltshire. A friend and I discovered a small lake in the grounds of a long gone Priory. It held a large population of browns and was owned by a local farmer who used to charge us £1 a visit. The browns would rise furiously to buzzers every evening and it was always a challenge to discover the size & colour on tonight's menu.

Just about 1/2 a mile up the road was a village pub complete with pub. We would fish until we couldn't see any more and then leg it up to the pub and sink a couple of pints apiece before "time". After four or five of these last minute "panic" pints we were asked if by any chance we were sheep shearers and if so there was no mad rush to down a couple. Given that my pal was a cowman on the estate where I was the river manager it was a reasonable mistake. His clothes always had an aroma of "Cow".

What we hadn't realised on our first visits to Priory Pond, as we called it, was its proximity to a certain wildlife park. Literally on the other side of the hill was Longleat and we were treated to the lions' evening chorus. A more unnerving sound I have yet to experience as it sounded all but directly behind us as we fished. I missed a lot of takes when a lion decided that now was the time to announce his desires!

There were two distinct strains of trout in that pond. The darker coloured fish that rarely made 12 ounces or so and had white flesh and the silvery trout that were much the same size but had pink flesh.

I often think about that funny little place. I learned a lot about buzzer fishing there.

easker1

we used to get a couple of pounds a day plus meals, the Farmer gave me a lift into Hexham one day as he had to take a young calf into the Vet .this was in a brand new Ford Anglia, the Calf was scouring all over the place, when I commented on this he said he would get some one to hose it out when we got back to the farm, I worked at his farm and some of the local farms when the Shipyards were closing,I used to hitch home on a Friday and hitch back on a Monday, I worked there about 6 or 7 weeks and then I got a job with GPO Telephones, but it was an experience never to be forgotten, easker1

Perch@1

I just could not get a good pic of these today.
But they are size 14, a bit fiddley but they will catch I am sure of it.
I made the dubbing myself, so that was interesting, I think I need more white in there. I could not get the real thing.
Still, it was good having a try at these, I did one last season and never fished it, but I will this season.
View attachment 38047
Flys look good Oldbones, you've kept hook eyes clear, something I have trouble with.

Neil 🎣

Perch@1

I'm not surprised. Snipping away around a ram's thingys has got to be worth danger money.

Sheep shearing always raises a laugh in my family. Years ago I lived in south Wiltshire. A friend and I discovered a small lake in the grounds of a long gone Priory. It held a large population of browns and was owned by a local farmer who used to charge us £1 a visit. The browns would rise furiously to buzzers every evening and it was always a challenge to discover the size & colour on tonight's menu.

Just about 1/2 a mile up the road was a village pub complete with pub. We would fish until we couldn't see any more and then leg it up to the pub and sink a couple of pints apiece before "time". After four or five of these last minute "panic" pints we were asked if by any chance we were sheep shearers and if so there was no mad rush to down a couple. Given that my pal was a cowman on the estate where I was the river manager it was a reasonable mistake. His clothes always had an aroma of "Cow".

What we hadn't realised on our first visits to Priory Pond, as we called it, was its proximity to a certain wildlife park. Literally on the other side of the hill was Longleat and we were treated to the lions' evening chorus. A more unnerving sound I have yet to experience as it sounded all but directly behind us as we fished. I missed a lot of takes when a lion decided that now was the time to announce his desires!

There were two distinct strains of trout in that pond. The darker coloured fish that rarely made 12 ounces or so and had white flesh and the silvery trout that were much the same size but had pink flesh.

I often think about that funny little place. I learned a lot about buzzer fishing there.
Sounds good BobP, nice fact from your past.

Neil 🎣

BobP

Sounds good BobP, nice fact from your past.

Neil 🎣
It is one of only two places where I have fished and the hairs on the back of my neck would stand up. The other was steelhead fishing in bear country in British Columbia where there were grizzly prints on the sandbars and every strange noise made me jump and look over my shoulder.

Perch@1

It is one of only two places where I have fished and the hairs on the back of my neck would stand up. The other was steelhead fishing in bear country in British Columbia where there were grizzly prints on the sandbars and every strange noise made me jump and look over my shoulder.
Good experiences and memorable parts of your life, good on ya.

Neil 🎣