Turkey biot bodies

m r roid

A question for the forums fly tyers regarding turkey biots.
I'm a left handed tyer, and wind my thread, hackles and bodies away from myself over the top of the hook. I've been experimenting with Hareline turkey biots, you get a handed pair in a pack. When I attempt to create a ridged body like the one in the picture, I have to tie it in the opposite way to how it's shown on YouTube videos. It took me a while, and a bit of head scratching to realise why it wasn't working for me😂😂
IMG_20210321_151408.jpg
. Also, regardless of whether you're left, or right handed would only one of the turkey quills work for you?
Would you need to wrap the other 'handed' biots in the opposite direction to what is normal to you??
Hope this makes sense 😊🤔😂👍

m r roid

Presumably any biot will work one way or the other and can be applied to suit.
I'm not sure Bob, the longer ones have a curve which I think might dictate which way they can be wound......
I think I need to experiment a bit more 👍🤔😊

arkle

m r roid. I am a right handed tyer/writer etc however like you, I wind in the opposite direction to what's considered the "norm". I am 90+% self taught & have been involved in tying commercially, teaching etc. I find it faster & preferable in every way. There are a few others of us who do the same, most notable perhaps is Ollie Edwards. Quite a few years ago, we had a member of our local FDG, now deceased who although he was right handed, preferred to tie left handed, he said he found it more "challenging" & the results of his tying were exceptional

m r roid

m r roid. I am a right handed tyer/writer etc however like you, I wind in the opposite direction to what's considered the "norm". I am 90+% self taught & have been involved in tying commercially, teaching etc. I find it faster & preferable in every way. There are a few others of us who do the same, most notable perhaps is Ollie Edwards. Quite a few years ago, we had a member of our local FDG, now deceased who although he was right handed, preferred to tie left handed, he said he found it more "challenging" & the results of his tying were exceptional.

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply 😊
Do you have tbe same trouble with turkey biots, how do you tie in, and wind them on?

wjg

roid, Any biots I have used can be tied in to create "the ridged body" shown in your picture or a smooth body with a little dark leading edge segmented look. It depends which way you tie it in. Pull your biot from the stem, (do not cut it away) and look at the end. One side will be a straight or continuous edge toward the stem. The other edge will have a small 1/2 round "divot" very near the stem end. Left or right handed shouldn't matter. Tie one biot in with the half round divot up, and another with the divot down. It should leave you with two different looks while wrapped the same direction.

arkle

Haven't really noticed, but I don't use that many of them anyway. If I get an issue with this sort of thing, I just wind it in the opposite direction & counter-wind the rib, if any. Though usually I wind over wet adhesive, like the super-strong from "Gorilla Glue" though often requires holding the extreme tip with hackle pliers.

Last edited:

Latest posts