Turle Knot

FlyForumAdmin

Turle knot

Use: Tying on flies.

Description: This knot is probably better with bigger flies where there is more room between the hackle or dressing and the eye.

Tying:

1. Pass the end of the tippet through the eye of the fly and make a loop with a slip knot.

turle1_m.jpeg

2. Lift the loop over the fly and hold it against the eye of the fly with one hand.

turle2_m.jpeg

3. Use your other hand to tighten the knot, first having moistened it. When it is tight, trim off the surplus tag end.

turle3_m.jpeg

turle4_m.jpeg

Graphics of knots drawn by Tim Pegg of Thilmcraft Graphics. E-mail: thilm@paston.co.uk

badcaster

Having reviewed a few of the other knots of interest I returned to my favourite quick knot link, and was surprised at no replies thus far.

The other knots I've looked at seem to have very clear graphics, and excellent quality also but I was surprised at the lack of clarity shown for me on this knot. This might be just me, but I'm sure most people used to the turle knot could tie it blindfolded and its strength really does match most others, so its important especially for the less experienced knot to ignore this not ;)

For me I'd say run the fly/hook about 6 inches above the knot area (even well out of sight, about a foot or more) and make the lower loop in the graphic about 4-6 inches diameter then its just a simple overhand (shoelace knot) and yer done!!

Fantastic illustrations otherwise I'd say and a big well done which will be of so much use to so many!

badcaster

BTW, the "no knot" does not have to sit behind the eye of the hook, its just as secure sitting in front of the hook eye, and can therefore be used on more-or-less any sized fly..;)

johshaw

I like this know for attaching salmon flies. Has worked for me for years.

kevinjm

A slight variation: is a knot which was shown to me by an extremely successful salmon fly angler back in 1959. He was very fussy about having his single hook flies swimming on a dead even keel. He maintained that even the loose end should be parallel with the body of the fly - in case it acted like a rudder and upset the perfect trim.
Since then it has never once let me down at the crucial time.

knot1.jpg

knot2.jpg

knot3.jpg

knot4.jpg

srv

Hi lads.I tried this knot using 3lb flurocarbon and found it to be a lot weaker than the half blood knot.Is it more suited to heavier/different material? I tied 6 times and on each occasion , managed to break it quite easily.

chinghis

I thought this was supposed to be primarily for small dry flies and said to allow more natural movement. i have always had trouble passing small flies through the loop.