Tying knots with deteriorating eyesight - advice?

shropshire_lad

Hi Guys,

I recently returned to fly fishing after a 20 to 30 years hiatus. In that time, I have taken to wearing reading glasses for close up work. However, I must say I really struggled tying knots even with my reading glasses. My tucked half blood knots just became half blood knots as tying those was difficult enough without the tuck!

Any advice or gadgets that may help?

Cheers

Phil

speytime

Get yourself a slightly stronger pair of reading glasses I've got spare pair 0.75x stronger than I need just for fishing and they work great.

Al

speytime

Just of the shelf they come in 0.5 increments, what I did was pick up something with small text on the label then tried a few pairs until I could read it with ease.

Al

boisker

About 4 years ago I gave up pretending I could see well enough on the water without glasses and started having to carry my spare ‘reading’ set. But it’s always a bit of a faff, I having tried someone’s sunglasses with a small lense incorporated (like bi-focal glasses I guess) I couldn’t get on with them either.
So recently tried these-
18063 Cap Peak Clip-On Magnifiers
Wish I’d done it earlier, so much more convenient and way higher magnification than my glasses... even size 24 is a breeze

shropshire_lad

About 4 years ago I gave up pretending I could see well enough on the water without glasses and started having to carry my spare ‘reading’ set. But it’s always a bit of a faff, I having tried someone’s sunglasses with a small lense incorporated (like bi-focal glasses I guess) I couldn’t get on with them either.
So recently tried these-
18063 Cap Peak Clip-On Magnifiers
Wish I’d done it earlier, so much more convenient and way higher magnification than my glasses... even size 24 is a breeze

Thanks, I found exactly the same taking my reading glasses along. When I needed to sort something out removing sunglasses and getting out the reading glasses was a right faff - I'll have a look at those magnifiers :)

morayfisher

Try a different knot, preferably one that can be tied with forceps, makes life much easier. I've used the Penny knot since I found it online and it's never let me down.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghW84dcnhJk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LbuimcW-S94

I also use the figure of eight for droppers, again tied with forceps.

Another idea which someone recently mentioned on here is to preload some flies onto threaders at home, saves faffing with cold hands etc just to get the fly onto the tippet which is the bit I struggle most with when using very small flies. C&F threader boxes not cheap though.

speytime

I was also going to suggest trying another knot i find a blood knot a bit of phaf to tie compared to a 3twn or davy knot both can be tied in seconds even without glasses.

It's unfortunate that orvis only do them in 2.5 or I'd have bought them in the past as already mentioned its a hassle changing between sun glasses and readers.

Al

wobbly face

I got fed up with changes from distance to readers to sunglasses. Good old ASDA, I ended up getting prescription varifocals with Polarising lenses for second pair in their deals. :thumbs: There are also magnetic fly threaders that you can buy, won't help tying knots but helps getting the tippet through the eye of the fly. If my eyesight deteriorates more I'll go to buying a clip on cap magnifier.

spudgun

I've been struggling with some new glasses, they are excellent at any distance further than a stretched out arm. No good for tying flies to tippet, but very comfortable and it has been said I now look like a rough George Clooney, if he wore glasses that is.
Anyway I brought some of the Orvis clip on cap magnifyers, brilliant, OK quality, but they need a peaked cap to work and I like a bucket type hat to keep the sun off me tabs, so for now I'm wearing two hats and it's spoiling my George Clooney look.
Cheers

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

shropshire_lad

I've been struggling with some new glasses, they are excellent at any distance further than a stretched out arm. No good for tying flies to tippet, but very comfortable and it has been said I now look like a rough George Clooney, if he wore glasses that is.
Anyway I brought some of the Orvis clip on cap magnifyers, brilliant, OK quality, but they need a peaked cap to work and I like a bucket type hat to keep the sun off me tabs, so for now I'm wearing two hats and it's spoiling my George Clooney look.
Cheers

That's the problem I may have. I have ordered some clip-on magnifiers but I too wear a brimmed Tilley hat - I was hoping it would work with them. If not, I'll get a cap and just slaver sunblock on the neck and "tabs" when required :)

spudgun

That's the problem I may have. I have ordered some clip-on magnifiers but I too wear a brimmed Tilley hat - I was hoping it would work with them. If not, I'll get a cap and just slaver sunblock on the neck and "tabs" when required :)
I was thinking about trying to modify the bucket hat, but I'm not sure how I can go about it. Maybe reinforce the brimm with a plastic window packer.
Cheers

sewinbasher

Try a different knot, preferably one that can be tied with forceps, makes life much easier. I've used the Penny knot since I found it online and it's never let me down.

I also use the figure of eight for droppers, again tied with forceps.

Another idea which someone recently mentioned on here is to preload some flies onto threaders at home, saves faffing with cold hands etc just to get the fly onto the tippet which is the bit I struggle most with when using very small flies. C&F threader boxes not cheap though.

A hackle gripper also works for tying a Davy knot.

morayfisher

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 95

Paul_B

I have bifocals, the opticians made me a prescription for fishing where the magnified bit is good for tying and the distance side is virtually plain glass but with a transition lens.
I previously had those from the internet which were plain glass with a magnified bit at the bottom, ebay has a lot from £10 upwards, even polarised

doug

I'm blind in one eye with limited vision in the other I gave up trying to tie different knots for different situations years ago I now just use one knot for all my fishing the Uni knot i can take it down to the eye of the hook and pull it tight or leave a loop and pull it tight.

sewinbasher

I was also going to suggest trying another knot i find a blood knot a bit of phaf to tie compared to a 3twn or davy knot both can be tied in seconds even without glasses.

It's unfortunate that orvis only do them in 2.5 or I'd have bought them in the past as already mentioned its a hassle changing between sun glasses and readers.

Al
The Davy knot can also be easily tied with a simple spring loaded hackle pliers.