Tying knots with deteriorating eyesight - advice?

speytime

The Davy knot can also be easily tied with a simple spring loaded hackle pliers.
I don't doubt that but I think involving hackle pliers into a davy knot could only make it awkward.
I maybe overlooking something but if you're losing your dexterity (age related) then simplicity is key, messing around with hackle pliers would be a nightmare, for me, maybe others would find it helpful?

Al

sewinbasher

I don't doubt that but I think involving hackle pliers into a davy knot could only make it awkward.
I maybe overlooking something but if you're losing your dexterity (age related) then simplicity is key, messing around with hackle pliers would be a nightmare, for me, maybe others would find it helpful?

Al
Have a look at this from 2min 30secs and see what you think.

esk

I use clip on magnifiers. But I attach them to my sunglasses. That way even with a hat/cap on they just flip up and out of the way when not in use. My reading glasses are +1 or plus 1.5. The magnifiers are I think +2 or 2.5.

I also carry a pair of +3 reading glasses which I only use to tie on the really small stuff - which sadly these days isn't as small as it used to be.

coire

I get on really well with these: http://www.opticaid.net/list_product.php?cPath=38&t=Product_List
When I started to struggle with my close up vision a few years back I tried clip on magnifiers and taking reading glasses with me but found it a faff. I always wear sunglasses when I'm fishing, so having them with the magnifiers built in was no hassle. Wearing them, I never notice the magnifiers are there until I need them. May not suit everyone but at £15 it's no problem if you don't get on with them.

original cormorant

I don't really understand the question. I do have a problem threading line through the eye of the hook (even with my prescription varifocal polaroids), but to me tying the knot is not primarily a matter of eyesight.
There are three knots that I normally use in the course of a days fishing - blood knot, twice improved clinch knot and for saltwater a loop knot. I don't really need to see well to tie any of these as they're mainly tied by repetition of the actions rather than by sight.
I dread the need to thread the line through the eye of the hook. I don't, but I reckon I could tie these knots with my eyes closed.

Perhaps repeated practising of the knots you use will mean you need to see less.

speytime

You can buy a cap from snowbee and simms no doubt others with a sun block that attaches to the back of the cap to protect your neck and ears from the sun.
That's the problem I may have. I have ordered some clip-on magnifiers but I too wear a brimmed Tilley hat - I was hoping it would work with them. If not, I'll get a cap and just slaver sunblock on the neck and "tabs" when required :)