Tying perdigons

Spider

Tied a perdigon yesterday using hends bodyquiils. Thorax of bright orange thread. Coloured in the top of the bead with black perm marker and also top of thorax. But it kinda leaked around and took away the bright orange effect.

Any tying tips? Also what hooks and bead sizes (slotted or normal?) work best for you?

Tks

Gary Ridgeway

Tied a perdigon yesterday using hends bodyquiils. Thorax of bright orange thread. Coloured in the top of the bead with black perm marker and also top of thorax. But it kinda leaked around and took away the bright orange effect.

Any tying tips? Also what hooks and bead sizes (slotted or normal?) work best for you?

Tks
First coat the fly with the UV then dry without black thorax maker, use marker then recoat the WHOLE fly

goldenolive

Gary is spot on,
if you apply and set a coat of uv on the perdigone first then the black will apply better and not leach into the dressing.
I used to use a black sharpie to make the the black thorax dot,
now instead of a sharpie I use a small dot of black rimmel 60 second varnish. When this is dry I then put a small coat of uv over.

For perdigones I always use a slotted bead, ones with small slots.
My favourite hooks are the hanak 130bl dry fly hook with a slotted bead and a dohiku 302sp with a slotted bead and a hanak 450bl with slotted bead.
In heavy fast water and bigger fish I tend not to use the 130bl as it can open slightly.
My best 4 perdigones last season were:
Olive thread body and black nickel bead
Gasolina, which is hends 233 scudback or krystalflash and a copper bead
black thread body with red holo butt and silver bead.
Copper bead, Brown tommyfly uv reflective thread body with hot orange tommyfly uv reflective thread collar.
Tails on all 4 are coq de leon fibres.

goldenolive

I use medium pardo feathers.
The first time I started tying them I got a whiting farms tailing pack like this
When I used up this pack,
I bought a whiting coq de leon cape from Pat Nolan, premier angling supplies for 55 eur.
Enough feathers to last a lifetime.

Gary Ridgeway

Bead size and hook style should be determined By how deep the fly should be,if the fish are on small food but deep don't be scared to put a 3.5 mm bead on a size 20 hook.
Getting the fly in front of fish is far more important than pattern.
Hell I even caught fish on the Superman Perdigon, some days dull works, others flashy.

Spider

Thanks for the advice lads, I was going down the "varnish it first" road but I didn't think a black marker cud work on a glossy varnished fly? Anyway, I got my black Rimmel yesterday, and a finishing varnish too :).

So my new perdigon looks well (although it's on a straight nymph hook) but even at 3mm it doesn't feel heavy enough.

Spider

Garry does the big bead on a small hook not lead to difficulty hooking up, due to a narrowed gape?

Gary Ridgeway

Garry does the big bead on a small hook not lead to difficulty hooking up, due to a narrowed gape?
So there are plenty solutions, wide gape traditional hook, jig hook , off set beads on regular hooks or just tie the fly short or "Clyde style' on a larger hook. Only fly tiers care about the proportions, the fish don't.
A few links to get you thinking:-

Last edited:

Spider

Gary that's great help thanks. I've managed to get up to 3.5 and I think 3.8 tungsten on a jig hook and on a nymph/wet fly hook too. I managed to bond the bead to the hook so that it gives as much gape clearance as possible. I'm not 100% happy with the bead/hook point clearance but think it will work. A

Spider

Finally settled on a Hanak 250BL size 14 for the perdigons. It's a fairly short hook, and has a decent gape, so took a 3.5 tungsten easily and still seems to have a decent gap between hook point and bead, so hopefully OK for hooking fish.