Typical amount of line out before shooting

Tangled

That's a beginner who's been registered on here since 2016.
Who is still a beginner to understanding rod and line weights, else he wouldn't be asking these questions.

Most people don't you know, they just buy a rod and a line and get on with it.

andygrey

I think to most people that's a distinction without a difference and no help at all to the non-professional.
Actually it's a big and quite distinct difference in understanding how line ratings work and how rods are designed to suit. Unfortunately it's a distinction that can't really be simplified down to stating that a rod is designed to cast to its optimum performance with 30' of line outside the tip, which is simply not true.
By stating this you are more likely to confuse and mis-guide 'a beginner'

shortcircuit

Oh man, I didn't mean to set off WW3!

And I'm not a beginner, even though I might have asked a "beginner's" question! I'm a reasonably good caster, but as I said, because I mainly river fish I rarely need to do long casts...

PaulD

And I'm not a beginner, even though I might have asked a "beginner's" question! I'm a reasonably good caster, but as I said, because I mainly river fish I rarely need to do long casts...

Listen! Tangled called you a 'beginner' so . . . you're a beginner! Tangled 'understands' everything.

Tangled

Ignore the noise, the war started years ago and rages across all the fly fishing forums I've ever been on. It's because there are no real standards for the tools we use, but the 30' rule is the best we have.

I've been a beginner for 30 years, you're really only not if you're professional or the truly addicted with a lot of nearby fishing. The rest of us tend to get along with basic information which by and large is good enough.

Tangled

Anyway, on the double-haul.

I must have fished for 20 before I even heard of it. I guess it always existed because I was initially taught the single-haul and it would only have been called that if there was double version of it.

It's mostly a distance casting aid, though I have seen it in videos used in ordinary casting ordinary distances. There is something satisfying about it, and once you 'get' it; it gives you a great feeling of timing. It does seem to be one of those few things that when you first try it, it seems impossible but then all at once you get it and then you keep it; like riding a bike.

My casting instructor tells me not to use it unless I really have to, he reckons it's mostly a way of casting your errors further.

original cormorant

Who needs WW3, we've got covid!

James9118

Hi folks,

Am just playing about with my new 4# rod. The WF line I'm using has a total head length of 46 ft, and there is a colour change there. So I was thinking that for best shooting, I should get all that line out of the rod tip before I shoot. However it feels very cumbersome having that much line in the air

I know every rod is different, but in general do you get the entire head out before shooting, or would you get, say, 30 ft out and then shoot from there.

This is probably all a bit academic because I will be using this rod for river fishing where long casting is not so important
What line is it by the way?

PaulD

Yup, and he's seen an awful lot of castors over 30 years.

He's in the furniture trade?

Castor.jpg