Typical amount of line out before shooting

PaulD

Could be something like a Rio LT . . .

Rio LT.jpg

Hardrar

If you’re river fishing, 46 feet of line on a back cast, sounds like a real World recipe for spending a lot of time in the bushes vegetation and trees.
I tend to use short head/belly lines and fast glass rods, which load really fast and do as much roll and switch casting as back casting, our syndicate waters are well overgrown where all the fish are.
I wouldn’t worry too much, how far do you normally need to cast? I generally catch most with10-20 feet of line outside my rod tip-8’ of rod and 8/9’ if leader so 26 to 36 feet range. Admittedly I stalk most of my quarry.

shortcircuit

Sorry guys, should have said. The line is the Maxcatch Gold, which seemingly is modelled on the Rio Gold

PaulD

If it's modelled on the Rio Gold. and shares the same 'numbers as a Rio Gold, the first 30ft of taper, the AFTM measure length, would weigh 8.2g - the AFTM table states 7.78g for a 4wt. The whole head, some 46ft weighs 11.3g on a 4wt Rio Gold - the 30ft taper for a 7wt should weigh around 11.99g

Effectively, if you're trying to hold the full head in the air, you're effectively loading your rod with a 7wt.

shortcircuit

If it's modelled on the Rio Gold. and shares the same 'numbers as a Rio Gold, the first 30ft of taper, the AFTM measure length, would weigh 8.2g - the AFTM table states 7.78g for a 4wt. The whole head, some 46ft weighs 11.3g on a 4wt Rio Gold - the 30ft taper for a 7wt should weigh around 11.99g

Effectively, if you're trying to hold the full head in the air, you're effectively loading your rod with a 7wt.
You are dead right I looked up the spec and it's the same for the Maxcatch, the first 30ft is 8. 2 gr and the full head weight is 11.3 gr

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
You are dead right I looked up the spec and it's the same for the Maxcatch, the first 30ft is 8. 2 gr and the full head weight is 11.3 gr
Sooo, if using the first 30' its still a tad more than the ratings for a #4, but not overtly so.
Kick it out to 46' its an #7 going on 8.
Rod is rated #4, no wonder there is a bit of an issue using full head!
Would feel pretty heavy on forward cast, i.e shooting cast.
Perhaps only let out the first 30', then shoot?

Bert

Hardrar

Hi folks,

Am just playing about with my new 4# rod. The WF line I'm using has a total head length of 46 ft, and there is a colour change there. So I was thinking that for best shooting, I should get all that line out of the rod tip before I shoot. However it feels very cumbersome having that much line in the air

I know every rod is different, but in general do you get the entire head out before shooting, or would you get, say, 30 ft out and then shoot from there.

This is probably all a bit academic because I will be using this rod for river fishing where long casting is not so important
What’s the rod and length?

Hardrar

I had the #5 version of these and I felt it it wouldn’t handle a wide range of loads. You had to get a fair bit of line out to load, but it would soon “fold” if you tried to push it with a heavier line or carrying a longer line.

andygrey

I can't believe that you said this!

boisker

Now there's an idea... ;-)

and if a fish rises only 20’ upstream... with your 9’ rod and and 12’ leader??

I guess you walk back down stream 30’ turn around and make your cast... 😂😂😂

coz we all know the rod only loads ‘properly’ if it has the 30’ out the rod tip....

anyone who think a 4w rod only really works with bang on 30’ of line out the tip... assuming your line is bang on true to weight, which obviously the Gold isn’t... really doesn’t get how rods are rated... or the concept of the head on a line

shortcircuit

I had the #5 version of these and I felt it it wouldn’t handle a wide range of loads. You had to get a fair bit of line out to load, but it would soon “fold” if you tried to push it with a heavier line or carrying a longer line.

I have only had one day casting the rod as yet so I still haven't tested it out fully. From my experience so far, I didn't have much hassle getting it to load with shorter lengths of line, but as I said once I had the whole head aerilised it definitely felt unwieldy.