Typical amount of line out before shooting

PaulD

Is it not true up to the point where the casting distance starts to become uncomfortable to whoever's casting?
There's a very useful acronym LEAPS which identifies five key aspects of casting further. If any one of them doesn't function adequately the casting will feel 'uncomfortable'. Everyone has their own limit to the length of line they can effectively manage in terms of the LEAPS acronym and therein lies the limit to their casting distance.

LEAPS.png

Perch@1

DownUp :)

Watch this video and a double haul will become second nature

The bouncing downup method mentioned by instructor sticks in my head.
I use the downup method in my cast but it's literally just downup, not including the bounce.
Prehaps the bounce will speed up my line giving me a better cast....... I will try?

Thanks for info PaulB

Fish safe and happy, Neil 🎣

LukeNZ

I did. The first 30’ of a line is the weight of line that conforms to the standard that the rod is designed to be optimal for.

There are all sorts of ifs and buts, but that statement stands. The alternative is absolutely anything at all - just say something you like.
The rod is designed to be 'optimal' for whatever the rod maker determines; and thus, markets his rod as such. Its not just about a nominal weighted line length referance - there is science and some art to it, to aid the end user.

This 'art' has also crossed over to the line manufacturers who can tailor lines to load rods in various desirable ways, without rigidly adhering to your imovable inexperienced point of reference. And again the lines are marketed and known by consumers accordingly (except you, it seems).

Equipment and technology have evolved beyond your understanding perhaps?

You need to go fishing lots more and also try different equipment and techniques. Grow your experience, as it were.

🙃

ohanzee

I forgot about this thread, how come no one just said let go at the end of the colour change bit? like wot it was designed for.

LukeNZ

I forgot about this thread, how come no one just said let go at the end of the colour change bit? like wot it was designed for.
The Lodge seems a tad lethargic at the moment. Not at all like it was before I went on my holidays.
Where has all the passion gone! 🤪

LukeNZ

Wot colour change bit?

Are you meaning the fresh flush in Tangled's cheeks after 50 false casts, when he is trying to get 35ft out of the tip ring of his venerable overpriced Chinese 5wt.?

Or perhaps, its the colour change in his cheeks, when we remind him...?

😎

Last edited:

ohanzee

Ahh, but I might just be fishing the colour change line on a rod two ratings less, or more!

Well this is the rub, but I'd automatically try it out with half of the rear taper out to see, then maybe have to bring it in a bit etc, but ultimately find a point where it picks up nice and remember it by where that is in relation to the colour change, ideally it should be close, hence the colour change at that point.

Tangled

I missed you....
Wot colour change bit?

Are you meaning the fresh flush in Tangled's cheeks colour change; perhaps after 50 false casts, when he is trying to 35ft out of the tip ring of his venerable 5wt. when he is actually using a 5wt. line and not his preffered 7 wt., with that rod?

Or perhaps, its the colour change in his cheeks, when we remind him...?

😎
Give it up darling, as a troll you're out of practice.

Perch@1

Hi folks,

Am just playing about with my new 4# rod. The WF line I'm using has a total head length of 46 ft, and there is a colour change there. So I was thinking that for best shooting, I should get all that line out of the rod tip before I shoot. However it feels very cumbersome having that much line in the air

I know every rod is different, but in general do you get the entire head out before shooting, or would you get, say, 30 ft out and then shoot from there.

This is probably all a bit academic because I will be using this rod for river fishing where long casting is not so important
Morning shortcircuit

Regarding shooting line it depends where I am. If I'm practicing on feild for accuracy and distance I'll get out my shooting head and use what's needed.

Down river again it depends where I am, areas of open glides with little bankside tree issues. Or further up river where problems are more common, trees space and wadding safely.

What evers best?

Neil 🎣

Latest posts