Ultimate glass outfit

stevel

I thought I'd start this thread as I was going off tangent in the Rawson thread.
If you could have any glass rod, reel and other accoutrements, what would it be?

Mine would be a Ijuin 6'6" #3 Yomogi, Kineya 100 and a half length Yano DT3 silk.

My wife loves Japan - currently learning Japanese- and Korea (my daughter K-pop mad at present and also learning Korean) and she's trying to convince me to return in a couple of years (we did a trip last April for 3 weeks traversing Japan and visiting K-Pop land) to see the northern parts we missed, like Hokkaido. She wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard!

A beautiful little outfit on home waters would be the dogs.

Last edited:

kerryjordan

I have my ideal glass combo; an olive green Epic 370 beautifully built by Sandy Nelson, paired with a Vosseler Air-One reel and a Barrio Smallstream line,
67455D27-B052-45A1-B800-38BD87EB8922.jpeg
with a very fine Stuart Crofts furled leader.

sean freeman

You want to update that reel to a Horgren/Shagerstrom reel! ;)
I came pretty close to buying an L.H. Design reel but I would have been too precious with it, pretty sure it was an Arrowhead. I love the older style Abel TR reels though, Abel in general tbh! I’ve just ordered an SDF in the native brook trout custom colour. Pricey but I’m a brook trout fanatic So it’s worth it! :eek:

stevel

I came pretty close to buying an L.H. Design reel but I would have been too precious with it, pretty sure it was an Arrowhead. I love the older style Abel TR reels though, Abel in general tbh! I’ve just ordered an SDF in the native brook trout custom colour. Pricey but I’m a brook trout fanatic So it’s worth it! :eek:
I had an LH Design Sapphire (the clicker with both a PEI and also a titanium spool). A nice reel but before I got the S-handle bug! You should have gotten it, being titanium it's super hard, and the one thing with them is you can buff them back up again, unlike anodised aluminium. Abel was my first quality reel, which I got through Pete Cockwill, one of the first to import them in the 90's. I still have a TR1 which my daughter inherited for her 5'6 #4 Tim Harris bamboo! :rolleyes::)

sean freeman

I made contact with a fly fisherman out there, really nice guy called Joao who sorted the tourist license for me. It’s a fiver to fish any stream on the island with very few exceptions.

If you ever visit Madeira I can give you a few streams to try or put you in touch with Joao. One stream produced over 100 fish in a few hours, it was never stocked so the rainbows must have come in through the levadas, they’re of interest as they’re pure to their ancestors genetically, gorgeous little fish!

ACD5467D-97E0-4124-A8D4-9C642CE1A29A.jpeg

Joao also uses a Kabuto 803 which I got to try out! 😁
8B0630C2-83C2-45E0-91D9-A42812EB6EE7.jpeg

kerryjordan

Excellent-thank you! If we ever get back to something approaching normality I’ll certainly take you up on that!

matt808

I don't want an 'ultimate' glass outfit, that would mean no more stuff to keeping looking for!
I can't afford any new rods at the moment, but the last rod I bought was a used Lamiglas.
A bit over £100, the ferrules need seating a bit carefully to fit properly, i think the taper of the spigots is a tiny bit off, once done the rod is as nice, if not better to fish than any other rods i've used.

Goes to show you don't *have* to pay hundreds, or even thousands of £s to get a nice glass rod.

sean freeman

Wow that's amazing, self sustaining rainbow population on an island off the African coast! Do you know how long ago they were transplanted there?
I’m sure I read 1950’s but I may be wrong, I know they supplement a lot of streams with hatchery fish but they look completely different to the wild ones. They look like kern river rainbows to me with the orange belly.

sean freeman

Just found a post by Sandy Nelson on Ijuin-Rod page on Facebook of an Ijuin Yomoji he built on a blank supplied by Chris Barclay! Beautiful.
He built this Haldin for me lately too. Awesome streamer rod for the money. Ideal for urban rivers.
D648EAE3-4FF6-4AAC-AC2D-1B123D20CAB2.jpeg

Fuji titanium stripper, REC reel seat and a little touch on the signature (a sex dungeon streamer).
3995B92C-AEE6-4B89-9C93-15318A582E86.jpeg