Ultimate glass outfit

sean freeman

Lovely bit of kit! I’ve always fancied one of the Danielsson large arbour reels!
This is the pairing I use most of the time! Barclay 72 and a Ross Evo LT. I should probably get a more classically styled reel for it! A Kineya reel to match the Kineya hardware would be nice.
F3AC9F46-0054-4BF1-927B-FCCB2A9D2AC7.jpeg

kerryjordan

Lovely bit of kit! I’ve always fancied one of the Danielsson large arbour reels!
This is the pairing I use most of the time! Barclay 72 and a Ross Evo LT. I should probably get a more classically styled reel for it! A Kineya reel to match the Kineya hardware would be nice.
View attachment 28122
What line do you favour with this combo?
Just off to Google Kineya reels now 🥴

willie_r

The Bloke 6'6" 3wt I completed a couple of months ago, with a S/H SKB CNC click reel and an Airflo mill-end!
I need to stop looking at Epic and CTS blanks before the urge gets to me.

stevel

I’m sure I read 1950’s but I may be wrong, I know they supplement a lot of streams with hatchery fish but they look completely different to the wild ones. They look like kern river rainbows to me with the orange belly.
Just looking at Kineya's website (as you do) and there's a pic of a golden trout. I googled these up and sure enough there were loads of pics of golden trout which looked a lot like these with the band of large dark spots along the lateral line.

Uncas

Just looked at the Kineya website nice reels.
Compering them with Ted Godfrey raised pillar reels or VMH type S handles I prefer the Godfrey's

stevel

Just looked at the Kineya website nice reels.
Compering them with Ted Godfrey raised pillar reels or VMH type S handles I prefer the Godfrey's
Godfreys are bench reels based on classical Vom Hofes and Raised pillars. Quite a "raw" feel to them, they really feel like someone carved them out of a block of metal. They have a one screw take down designed by him and nice features such as hand lapped nickel silver bands, but drag, even the touted drum drag of the Paradigm is fairly weak.
Kineya I have never seen one close up, but not for want of trying. He ceased production of them when I was looking over 8 years ago but he has now started production again through a small number of dealers, including Ijuin and Barclay. As far as I'm aware, they are CNC and are of the highest tolerances and finish, with very original designs based on classic reels. Prices the last I knew are up to a quarter of the cost of Godfrey.
I would still love to see a Reed and a 100, over another Godfrey.
I would definitely put one on an Ijuin glass but would also consider a small Kineya or Anders Shagerstrom for the smallest 4wt Reid I have.

Last edited:

Uncas

Just received my new ( used ) vintage 1960s glass St. Croix Imperial ultralight 1.75oz 6'8'' 2pc 4/5/6 line.
Made at Park Falls Wisconsin.
I am looking forward to trying some lines on this little good one it's in excellent condition.

kerryjordan

That’s gorgeous! I do have a question about the vented cork handle - will it not be difficult to keep clean in the gaps and also will the individual cork cylinders not be at risk of flaking at the edges?

sean freeman

I’ve never had it happen so I’m not sure tbh, Chris makes a hell of a lot of rods with this grip and hasn’t reported any issues. I have another with the same grip and I just give it a rinse every now and then and leave it to dry.

kerryjordan

👍 I guess if he’s been making rod handles like this for some time any problems would have shown up by now. Slightly off topic I’ve found that a wet magic sponge brings cork handles up like new even on really old well-used rods.

Uncas

I would like to put some pictures up but i can't make head nor tail out of this windows 10 mullarky.
Plus I do not have a phone camera to upload them, sorry Sean.

kerryjordan

It’s a very soft rod - much softer than the Epic 480 which is also a CTS blank, made before Swift changed their blank supplier. It seems like slow motion when you cast it. I was worried it wouldn’t set the hook but it does just fine.

Very nice, Martinni knife company gave a load to Chris. As soon as I saw a build with it I wanted it on mine!
[/QUOTE]

kerryjordan

Just had a look at the Marttiini website - those Finns certainly know how to make a beautiful knife.
Incidentally I heard yesterday that the Finns are looking forward to giving up the 2 metre social distancing so that they can go back to the old 6 metres.....