Ultimate glass outfit

sean freeman

My packlight is the original CTS one, I absolutely love it! I think swift made a mistake moving production to Korea.

matt808

The CTS 580 is much softer than the epic version too. I've tried a rio gold on the epic now and it does load it a lot better than the cortland I'd tried on it. I prefer the CTS but the epic may be better for windy days or bigger fish.

stevel

👍 I guess if he’s been making rod handles like this for some time any problems would have shown up by now. Slightly off topic I’ve found that a wet magic sponge brings cork handles up like new even on really old well-used rods.
Didn't Paul Young first make this grip?
I've also used a magic sponge which does work a treat though the finish is a little rough. I have to finish off with a 1000 wet and dry to smooth it out.

Uncas

Sean, your barclay looks a wonderful fishing rod, but I just can not come to terms with the ventilated grip, sorry.
To stuck in my way!

sean freeman

Sean, your barclay looks a wonderful fishing rod, but I just can not come to terms with the ventilated grip, sorry.
To stuck in my way!
They take some getting used to visually but it’s actually very comfy and I don’t even think about it anymore. It allows the rod to flex to the grip too which is quite cool.

Chris does the ventilated grip as an option so you can get one of his rods with a standard grip!(y)

stevel

Here’s the finished rod, can’t wait to get my hands on it!
View attachment 28381

View attachment 28382
Very dark green wraps that will pop in the sun.
Very nice, and as far as I can tell, with colour preserved wraps, which isn't used too much these days.
James Reid uses quite contrasty, bright colour combinations like this which really "pop" and although it takes a little getting used to at first, you can never be satisfied with the standard translucent and subdued colours afterwards.

With Chris, do you go through a selection process of colours for wraps, tipping or is it a standard on the rod?

Last edited:

stevel

Yeah I’m not looking forward to that when it arrives! 😭
With the weak pound, yes it works out a pretty expensive thing to import into the UK.
With 33% VAT/duty and fee on top it's almost not worth importing if you can avoid it - in this case you can't.
I took delivery of a custom Shamburg reel at the start of the year, it was something like £300 in VAT/duty! :(

sean freeman

Very nice, and as far as I can tell, with colour preserved wraps, which isn't used too much these days.
James Reid uses quite contrasty, bright colour combinations like this which really "pop" and although it takes a little getting used to at first, you can never be satisfied with the standard translucent and subdued colours afterwards.

With Chris, do you go through a selection process of colours for wraps, tipping or is it a standard on the rod?
It’s very much a custom process, you can also add agate guides, different grip shapes, chrome/bronze/dark hardware etc. There are also a huge amount of wood varieties to choose from for the reel seat.

mebu

Don't know much about glass rods, but 2 seasons ago I purchased an Echo 6'9" 3 wt glass rod for a little wooded river, great little rod that casts lovely and good fun playing fish.

Peter

streamerjunkie

Late to the party on this one - I have a Barclay Synthesis 68 (6'8" 3wt) with two reels - an Abel Super 2 rigged with a Rio Creek 3wt (for punchy shorter casts with heavier flies) and a Tibor Spring Creek rigged with a DT3 for whatever else. The ventilated grip adds quite a bit more feel to the rod in both casting to and playing decent fish. I've caught my two biggest wild brownies on my Barclay (the one in my profile pic being the smaller of the two) so I'm not really coveting anything else right now!

sean freeman

That's a right touch, Sean, the last lure rod I had from Japanangler a couple of years back cost me £91.00 in custom charges and the rod was around 47,000 Yen.
I was cringing waiting for the letter but couldn’t believe it! They must have just winged it and looked at a few fly rods in general to get a price.