Ultimate glass outfit

stevel

I’ve always fancied a rod built by Tomo but I’ve never even bothered asking as I know his backlog is pretty lengthy! Sounds like it’ll be an awesome setup, that Kineya is truly drool worthy! I want the 310 for my Barclay 68.

Also Sandy is now the owner of my old Yamame built hard para Beni and loves it. I’m going to get him to do a Steffen next year I think.
On his reply to my inquiry he did mention the Beni, and I did wonder... :cool:
The 300 series is beautiful, I lusted after one for many years, I think I'll be very happy with the 200 though!

sean freeman

On his reply to my inquiry he did mention the Beni, and I did wonder... :cool:
The 300 series is beautiful, I lusted after one for many years, I think I'll be very happy with the 200 though!
I follow a fella on Instagram who must have 30-40 Kineya reels! All sorts of rare ones. Just one would do me! Next year maybe..

Uncas

OK Steve, what's the reasoning behind choosing a rod by Tomo Ijuin the Yomogi.
When you could choose a rod by McFarland or Barclay or even a Steffen Bros.
I am trying to work that one out, ( causing mental agitation )o_O

stevel

OK Steve, what's the reasoning behind choosing a rod by Tomo Ijuin the Yomogi.
When you could choose a rod by McFarland or Barclay or even a Steffen Bros.
I am trying to work that one out, ( causing mental agitation )o_O
Hi Ben
That's a hard one. For sure, personal preference in tackle is very difficult, why you choose one brand or maker over another.
I was a Winston nut for years and would only buy that make, even though I knew others would be just as good.
For the glass, I was first introduced to it via a member on here by the handle of Taniwha and he had a range of glass by Steffen and McFarland and other vintage as I recall.
They were very incredibly capable, almost self casting, though I never felt compelled to get one. To me they felt robust and capable, but not visually attractive. T convinced me (though didn't need to twist my arm much) to go for a remake of the Tom Morgan glass and as I had a Winston fascination it seemed natural. It however didn't perform as I expected and unloaded it although it was an amazingly perfect and beautiful rod.
I have always been impressed by the Japanese OCD for finishing perfection but didn't expect to have such a nice casting rod I tried out at the Alternative Tackle stand at the London Fly Fair. I had expected it to be weak like the TM was, even a 3 compared to the 5. But to be fair, the rivers I tested the TM were wide, wind blown affairs, so perhaps it was unfair.
I also prefer semi or full parabolic tapers as opposed to tip or progressive, and the Yomogis are of that mould.
I would have preferred it to have been finished by the maker but his backlog didn't allow that. As it turns out, Sandy will finish it, and from what I can see, he finishes rods beautifully as well as being backed up the praises sung by members here. Of course the proof is in the pudding and it may not meet my idea/dream of glass perfection that has been in my head over 10 years, but we will see. I guess that's all the fun in tackle acquisition and owning.
For me, it's a beautiful, high performing, pleasurable casting, preferably hand made item, as well as a connection with that maker that hooks me. The maker and finisher are two different people in this case, but I feel that I could have a connection with both, like I did/do with James Reid and Mark Shamburg.
My wife has in the past year, developed a fascination of Japan- we had a family trip there last year and it was amazing. I would like to return and fish those little mountain streams with this outfit of their origin (with a touch of Scottish flair) for pretty little Japanese trout!
I hope that answers your question?
Regards
Steve

Last edited:

Uncas

Hello Steve,

That's a perfect answer to a difficult question about a perfect dream rod, I think you will be more than satisfied with finished build quality from Sandy.
As I am looking forward to receiving my rod from him next spring.
Regards

Ben.

stevel

Hello Steve,

That's a perfect answer to a difficult question about a perfect dream rod, I think you will be more than satisfied with finished build quality from Sandy.
As I am looking forward to receiving my rod from him next spring.
Regards

Ben.
Fantastic Ben,

Which model of which blank did you go for, and what finishing (seat, wraps, spacer, guides) do you have in mind?
And what do you intend to marry it with?

Regards
Steve

stevel

I’ve always fancied a rod built by Tomo but I’ve never even bothered asking as I know his backlog is pretty lengthy! Sounds like it’ll be an awesome setup, that Kineya is truly drool worthy! I want the 310 for my Barclay 68.

Also Sandy is now the owner of my old Yamame built hard para Beni and loves it. I’m going to get him to do a Steffen next year I think.
Like this? http://cbarclayflyrods.com/store/kineya-300b-fly-reel?fbclid=IwAR3PHE5SkBKntB5Mc8xa5ag_ltbrj-nXu4xpvfkoyIJ5H7IyM0aXadoQhHo :p

stevel

All things taking shape, I just received notice from Tomo that the blank, Kineya hardware, Kineya tube, kimono rod sock and my Kineya reel is on its way!
It'll be a long 6 months, but I've been down this road before and I'm sure it will be worth it!
ijuin blank and tube.jpg

skinner

Some nice rods there fellas, I was thinking of buying a Scott F2 Glass rod , in a #3 or #4. I’ve never owned a glass rod before.. I’ve had a few casts with a hardy glass rod and was enjoyable to fish with.

skinner

Some nice rods there fellas, I was thinking of buying a Scott F2 Glass rod , in a #3 or #4. I’ve never owned a glass rod before.. I’ve had a few casts with a hardy glass rod and was enjoyable to fish with.
What are your thoughts on the Scott Glass rods please?

Uncas

What are your thoughts on the Scott Glass rods please?
They seem to get very good reviews in the U.S but don't forget there are other if not better manufacturers rods for the same kind of money IE McFarland/ Steffen Bros.
Or Jude rods & Greywolf.

skinner

They seem to get very good reviews in the U.S but don't forget there are other if not better manufacturers rods for the same kind of money IE McFarland/ Steffen Bros.
Or Jude rods & Greywolf.
Would you go for a #3 or #4wt

Latest posts