Ultimate glass outfit

matt808

Some nice rods there fellas, I was thinking of buying a Scott F2 Glass rod , in a #3 or #4. I’ve never owned a glass rod before.. I’ve had a few casts with a hardy glass rod and was enjoyable to fish with.
Never cast a scott but from what I've read, the F2's are slow actioned compared to previous scotts, for the price I'd rather look at getting a custom built rod, but the Scott's seem well liked.

skinner

Never cast a scott but from what I've read, the F2's are slow actioned compared to previous scotts, for the price I'd rather look at getting a custom built rod, but the Scott's seem well liked.
Cheers for this 👍

stevel

The eagle (well one anyway) has landed, at Sandy Nelson's place.
The blank, Kineya bronze hardware, Kineya tube and rod sock made by Tomo from Kimono cloth.
It's actually a 7 #3 blank, but I actually wanted this at the start of this thread; I thought about it a lot and came to the conclusion that it would be suitable only for the most perfect conditions, so upped it to the #4. As it will be for small creek trout and grayling, I'm very happy with it.
Eagle #2 has landed too, and I'm off very shortly to the Parcelforce depot to pick it up!
yomogi arrived.jpg

5 months can't pass quickly enough!

stevel

That’s going to be such a sweet build! I just got my rod through from Sandy last week and it’s awesome, need to play with a few lines on it now.. once this weather lets up.
View attachment 32050

View attachment 32051
Very nice Sean, is that his 4/5 McFarland to his specs? Sandy says it's some rod, those which have gone out to clients have become their go to! 🤩

stevel

Here are some shots of the recently landed Kineya.
It's smaller than I thought, a dainty reel of just over 2.5" so perfect for that 7' #3. I will complete the set with a half length Yano silk #3.
Of late I've been mostly indulging in bench S-handles but this reel doesn't feel out of place next to them, it's beautifully made and finished, just oozes of quality.
kineya1 2.jpg
kineya2 2.jpg
kineya3 2.jpg
kineya4 2.jpg
kineya5 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Hardrar

Another new addition from Adam, this is to replace a 7’ #5 Hardy Smuggler, which I sadly broke the top spigot on after a bank side stumble, stand off black nickel rings and blued brass fittings, Zebrano reel seat

The sad looking Hardy Smuggler- sure it could be repaired, but a good excuse to give Adam another order!
95CAF8B4-D4E2-484A-A88C-C5A162BDA3A8.jpeg
s very light- similar to carbon, April suddenly looks a long way off!
B9132A5B-B541-49CE-84F7-C47833348D31.jpeg

DCB45462-FA8E-4FD7-AE3B-DD20C88CA09F.jpeg

BFA14A99-70FB-46ED-A63C-DDFCBEF3E8A2.jpeg

447AD7F7-B496-45C1-A511-56715B011290.jpeg

1BA33B07-11E9-4F01-816D-75B8DD3E10B2.jpeg

Last edited:

sean freeman

Here are some shots of the recently landed Kineya.
It's smaller than I thought, a dainty reel of just over 2.5" so perfect for that 7' #3. I will complete the set with a half length Yano silk #3.
Of late I've been mostly indulging in bench S-handles but this reel doesn't feel out of place next to them, it's beautifully made and finished, just oozes of quality.View attachment 32065View attachment 32066View attachment 32067View attachment 32068View attachment 32069
Just bought Chris’s first ever Kineya with his C Barclay nameplate adorning it! His personal 300A labelled as number one. He put the number of brookies caught on it in the thousands so it has built in mojo. 😁

I also got one of the bi metal Kineya spool removal tools to go with it. Excited to break it in on this side of the pond!

E0A3D18D-0CAD-4EC6-AA54-53DBA0222519.jpeg

D1F447D4-973B-45DE-96B4-13B6A87D1021.jpeg

1834EFAA-2B9B-4A59-BFD8-C02D45C124CF.jpeg

stevel

Congrats Sean, a great acquisition! It looks great.
I've told Tomo that if he ever gets his hands on a 301B/302B from Mass I'd be very interested.
Have fun putting your own mojo on that reel, and adding to the brookie count! :)

Last edited:

stevel

Well, the journey I started to obtain the "ultimate" small fish/river glass rod is nearing completion.
I've just received word from Sandy that it's complete, and it should be on its way to me in a day or two.
I must say it's been an incredibly enjoyable experience to have worked with Sandy on this project. Initially disappointed not being able to have Tomo do it, that soon changed as it was such an absorbing association to build it.
Although I wanted it to look generally like the rod Tomo builds, every aspect was discussed and agreed upon by both of us; it wasn't just a "copy this and make it for me" or "here's what I do, like it or leave it".
I had an idea in my head how I wanted it to look - subtle green wraps which did not disappear into the blank nor override it, with not overpoweringly dark red tipping but still give a bit of "pop" against the green; also I wanted a spacer/insert to be in the red spectrum to complement the tipping and also the handmade red kimono rod sack. Hardware was supposed to be bronze throughout, to match the Kineya 200, its intended partner.
Though 5 months before the build was supposed to have started, Sandy was in constant contact with me, talking about things like the hardware, grips and spacer. The bronze hardware was going to be a problem as Snake Brand stopped doing these a while ago, though he had a good try at sourcing them from his contacts and searching on the usual rod building sites globally. It turned out to not be a goer as not enough of these were available in the right sizes, but I had already resigned to that and we agreed on a colour which would best suit the whole look. Sandy would blue the bronzed cap and ring to match the mildrum stripper guide and the snakes.
With the spacer, we talked a lot on the types of spacers I wanted and the colour, and the level of figuring that I wanted - we tossed around a few ideas, with Rosewood being the closest to what I wanted, and finally proposed Amboyna, which was also in the red spectrum. I had 2 builds with amboyna and liked them but they didn't obviously seem a good match. His Man in the US could supply him a whole block and seeing the initial shot of the block which showed rich red colours and beautiful figuring, we decided to go for it. Ray really worked hard, and produced some blanks in very short time for me to choose from. Amazingly we both chose the same set of 3-4 final contenders, and I chose one of the two most striking spacers.
After Christmas things moved quickly, the finished spacers arrived and the final results were startling. I could see how beautiful the initial blanks were, and even the unfinished blanks another level on, but I was amazed how striking the final products were. Incredible swirls and shimmers and iridescence showed up in virtually all the blanks, even those that I initially discounted. My initial choice still remained one of the main contenders but my number 2 choice was amazingly beautiful. I deferred to Sandy at this point and he suggested the number 2. Either would have been amazing choices.
A week or so later he pinged me about the thread colours. We went through an intricate process of colour selection and matching tipping against the main colour. We finally agreed on a combination which really brought to life what was in my head.
The cork grip is superb, and of excellent quality; the shape is not Tomo's J-candle, but this was never meant to be a copy. I love the way it blends into the spacer with a gentle covex to the top of the grip.
So here are Sandy's pre-delivery shots of the rod, I'll post some more when it arrives, with its partner. Hopefully I'll be able to have a few casts in the garden.
Enjoy!
yomogi 1.jpg
yomogi 2.jpg
yomogi 3.jpg
yomogi 4.jpg
yomogi 5.jpg
yomogi 6.jpg

Hardrar

Lovely looking pole! Great blank tones and subtle wraps You didn’t fancy black/bronze nickel guides and an agate stripping ring?