Ultimate glass outfit

stevel

Lovely looking pole! Great blank tones and subtle wraps You didn’t fancy black/bronze nickel guides and an agate stripping ring?
I actually did want bronze hardware throughout (the cap & ring are actually bronze coloured) but Snake don't make them anymore, neither do H&H and supplies are low globally. Also there's a lot of "bronze" which just comes out looking copper. There are loads of posts of the trouble people have come across getting bronze hardware, esp on the Fibreglass forum.
I have agate on a lot of my new bamboo rods (both spey & trout) but I just wanted a very understated look this time.
I was told recently of a German company which reproduces Sage bronze snakes and hardware, but I didn't see any of that on my searches.

Rhithrogena

I don't want an 'ultimate' glass outfit, that would mean no more stuff to keeping looking for!
I can't afford any new rods at the moment, but the last rod I bought was a used Lamiglas.
A bit over £100, the ferrules need seating a bit carefully to fit properly, i think the taper of the spigots is a tiny bit off, once done the rod is as nice, if not better to fish than any other rods i've used.

Goes to show you don't *have* to pay hundreds, or even thousands of £s to get a nice glass rod.
Agreed! I scored a CTS Quartz 686 custom for similar money reecntly. It is my favourite rod. At the moment.....😂
Screenshot_20210216-183022.png

Hardrar

I actually did want bronze hardware throughout (the cap & ring are actually bronze coloured) but Snake don't make them anymore, neither do H&H and supplies are low globally. Also there's a lot of "bronze" which just comes out looking copper. There are loads of posts of the trouble people have come across getting bronze hardware, esp on the Fibreglass forum.
I have agate on a lot of my new bamboo rods (both spey & trout) but I just wanted a very understated look this time.
I was told recently of a German company which reproduces Sage bronze snakes and hardware, but I didn't see any of that on my searches.
Blued Nickel comes out “Bronze” I think there’s a US guy does them, Adam Rawson built me a nice rod recently with Blued Nickel fittings all through, which he built up for me, I sourced the Tiger grained Zebrano blanks, for the reel seat and he turned them, along with the reel seat bands and butt cap. I’m pretty sure he makes his own fittings.

Last edited:

airsprite

Some great looking rods on here lads.
Im a really into my cane rods, but have to say if these rods fish as well as they look, i may have to get one.
Like Split Cane, they seem to have a look thats pleasing to the eye that you don't feel so much with a carbon rod. The translucent look is great.
I do not have a 6ft Split Cane, so maybe i might try a glass rod in this length.

Steve

stevel

Well I got the Yomogi out this weekend for a cast in the garden.
I spooled up the Kineya with an old Rio Selective Trout WF4, and it fit, but with no backing - which is ok, as it's for small stream tiny fish. I've never seen a river trout even take any backing.
Eventually a half length Yano sild DT4F will go on here and this will do till then.
Weightwise, the 3 piece, 7'3" 4wt Yomogi weighs a flat 3oz. The Kineya loaded with the WF4F weighed 4.9 oz and it matched the Yomogi absolutely perfectly, balancing neatly on my index finger an inch or so down from the top of the grip. I was actually a bit surprised at the weight of the Yomogi, with the cap and ring and minimal wraps, I thought it would be a half an ounce lighter than it is for such a short rod, not that that miniscule weight is ever going to tax me!
Doing the wiggle test, the rod felt like it flexed down to the first joint from the butt. Tomo describes this as a slightly less parabolic faster version that say his full parabolic 7' #3, and I've seen pictures of him casting and it's flexing like about eight inches away from his hand on the butt!.
Out on the garden it actually felt less parabolic that the wiggle test, but it felt very nice. It didn't feel mushy, soft, slow at all but quite crisp and responsive. I have trees and bushes in my 60' garden and so had to thread the casts through the openings but I felt I could control the loops quite easily, shooting under the branches and gaps between the branches and the shrubs on the other side. There was even a moderate cross wind and that presented no problems at all.
I look forward to when we're out of lockdown and I can go down to my local river, use it in anger and feel what it's like with a leader/fly and a fish on the end.
Here are some closeup shots of the rod and reel together, showing Sandy's building skills! I tried to capture the amazing figuring, swirls, shimmers on the amboyna, but pictures can never do it justice.
The rod sock is made by Tomo from kimono material and the cap/ring and tube are made by the same maker as the reel, Masatoshi (Mass) Okui of Kineya.
20210220_211146.jpg
20210220_211217.jpg
20210220_211319.jpg
20210220_211634.jpg
20210220_211745.jpg
20210220_212103.jpg
20210220_212447.jpg
20210220_212611.jpg

sean freeman

Well I got the Yomogi out this weekend for a cast in the garden.
I spooled up the Kineya with an old Rio Selective Trout WF4, and it fit, but with no backing - which is ok, as it's for small stream tiny fish. I've never seen a river trout even take any backing.
Eventually a half length Yano sild DT4F will go on here and this will do till then.
Weightwise, the 3 piece, 7'3" 4wt Yomogi weighs a flat 3oz. The Kineya loaded with the WF4F weighed 4.9 oz and it matched the Yomogi absolutely perfectly, balancing neatly on my index finger an inch or so down from the top of the grip. I was actually a bit surprised at the weight of the Yomogi, with the cap and ring and minimal wraps, I thought it would be a half an ounce lighter than it is for such a short rod, not that that miniscule weight is ever going to tax me!
Doing the wiggle test, the rod felt like it flexed down to the first joint from the butt. Tomo describes this as a slightly less parabolic faster version that say his full parabolic 7' #3, and I've seen pictures of him casting and it's flexing like about eight inches away from his hand on the butt!.
Out on the garden it actually felt less parabolic that the wiggle test, but it felt very nice. It didn't feel mushy, soft, slow at all but quite crisp and responsive. I have trees and bushes in my 60' garden and so had to thread the casts through the openings but I felt I could control the loops quite easily, shooting under the branches and gaps between the branches and the shrubs on the other side. There was even a moderate cross wind and that presented no problems at all.
I look forward to when we're out of lockdown and I can go down to my local river, use it in anger and feel what it's like with a leader/fly and a fish on the end.
Here are some closeup shots of the rod and reel together, showing Sandy's building skills! I tried to capture the amazing figuring, swirls, shimmers on the amboyna, but pictures can never do it justice.
The rod sock is made by Tomo from kimono material and the cap/ring and tube are made by the same maker as the reel, Masatoshi (Mass) Okui of Kineya.
View attachment 36345View attachment 36346View attachment 36347View attachment 36348View attachment 36349View attachment 36350View attachment 36351View attachment 36352
Absolutely stunning! Has me looking forward to my small stream glass exploits. Can it be mid March already! 😅

Hardrar

Lovely artisan finish to the build and the burnished tones to the hardware. Just make sure the reel is well locked on with a down sliding band reel seat- I’ve had reels pulled off when playing fish off the reel with this configuration. I tend to request up sliding bands or screw if down locking.

We have a few of these naturalised feral ex fish farm cock Rainbows run one of the tiny becks I fish - this Lean fit Brute stripped me into the backing twice and jumped several times clear, they’ll break you with a stiffer carbon rod on a 4 or less tippet. This was about 6 but there are a few in double figures.
B498BDC0-47AD-4FBC-AD2A-3FA5F9C67550.jpeg

stevel

Looks like I have the cousin of Steve's Yomogi. Probably had it over 2 years now but have never strung it up, not even in the garden. Also built by Sandy Nelson.
That's nice, the 7'6" version, as I recall from Tomo's descriptions, a full parabolic, probably flexing all the way to the butt, with the 7'3 less parabolic (to the middle of the rod) and slightly faster.
A shame such a nice rod has sat for so long unfished, but I guess half of that has been due to Covid. I certainly only got out once before it all shut down again.
I know Sandy has another 7'3" Yomogi built up for the WTT auction, if anyone fancies one of these too, they would be getting a top class rod in less than the 5 months it took for mine to be delivered.
Sandy told me he's doing a commission with Alternative Tackle to build all of the Yomogis with Kineya hardware and also test out the Sakura progressive blanks he also does.

<Yomogi Series> Green color
6’06”3wt3pc semi-parabolic
7’00”3wt3pc parabolic full-flex
7’03”4wt3pc semi-parabolic faster
7’06”4wt3pc parabolic
7’11” 5wt4pc semi-parabolic