Ultimate stillwater set up

dilb0

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade my current stillwater set up and wondering which rod and reel length and rating would be best, I'm currently using an orvis Clearwater 9ft 6# and feel it's a tad on the light side. I will be using it at waters similar to kinross trout fishery, carron valley, lake of monteith, frandy etc.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

pentlandflyman

I would have said what you are using is ideal, i fish similar sized waters with a mix of 2lb to double figure fish and used a 9ft 6" #7 for a long time and found it to heavy so dropped to the 9ft #6 and would never go back, i get far more enjoyment out the fight and it feels so much better when fishing small dries and nymphs and! at the end of the day my wrist, elbow and shoulder are still pain free, i have used a 9ft #5 as well and loved it so for me it is as light as you can get away with...so i would maybe try and get a days fishing on a heavier set up to see how you get on with it before ditching what you have, it might just be a case of buying a faster rod in the size you currently use instead of going up in length/weight/line size.

easker1

I have Been using a 5wt now for at least 6 years, I have also got 2wt 3wt and 4wt rods all home built I have these for various lochs and Lochans round here but normally I have my 5wt Built on a Lefty Kreh TFO blank,with a WF6 inter I can fish any where with it
easker1

Juneau

Ultimate stillwater set up? When you find it let me know. I've been looking for it for over 45 years. I suspect that when - if - you find it I'll have been chasing trout up in the sky for a long, long time.

JohnH

As hinted by Juneau, I suspect there are as many answers as there are anglers to this one. Quite a few whose views I respect have gone down the slightly lighter route of 5- or 6-weights and haven't looked back. Others have tried lighter gear and found it offers no advantage over a WF7 / DT6 system. If you have the chance to borrow and fish with a lighter outfit under different conditions for a while, then grab it and see how you get on before making a financial commitment.

Having tried an inexpensive 9-foot 5-weight outfit on stillwater for a period I found I was in the second group, but it's a personal preference as opposed to a cast iron rule.

chiron

I have found that a 9ft 5 weight is ideal unless it blowing.
Then I go to 9 ft 6 “ 7wt. However I did go drifting-on a highland loch in the boat last year with my 9ft 6“ 3/4 wt and had a cracking time with 1/2 lb wild brownies particularly when I got a double hook up.
So for me lighter is better.

speytime

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade my current stillwater set up and wondering which rod and reel length and rating would be best, I'm currently using an orvis Clearwater 9ft 6# and feel it's a tad on the light side. I will be using it at waters similar to kinross trout fishery, carron valley, lake of monteith, frandy etc.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
What's happening to make you feel its a bit light?

Al