Ultimate stockie bashing

ohanzee

Re the Don
I just rung Stuart Crofts about this.he said :-
Since the 80’s people have been catching rainbows it was assumed they had escaped from one of the top up reservoirs each winter.
They had a survey of the fish population done and it was found that there were small pockets of fin perfect rainbows many of them about 6inches long No ones the catchment was stocking them that small. The growth rings on scale samples showed they were not stock fish.
Still every year people catch them of all sizes, the populations not big enough to make it a target fish and most are returned.

Interesting, the start of a new population maybe? if so maybe demonstrates that whoever it was that said it can take 20 years for them to fully 'naturalise' may well be right.

Or they might be in the process of dying out of course.

Whinging pom

Interesting, the start of a new population maybe? if so maybe demonstrates that whoever it was that said it can take 20 years for them to fully 'naturalise' may well be right.

Or they might be in the process of dying out of course.
He was a expert on browns not rainbows.
The Don has got some wonderful guardians watching out for it and there seems to be a good catch and release ethic so they should be Ok .
There’s been no fertile rainbows in this country for many years so somewhere they are managing to breed.

loxie

The Don has got some wonderful guardians watching out for it and there seems to be a good catch and release ethic so they should be Ok .
There’s been no fertile rainbows in this country for many years so somewhere they are managing to breed.
That's not quite true. There are very large quantities of fertile females grown for the portion table trade. You can still legally stock with fertile females and, I think, mixed sex.

codyarrow

This has been a rumor for years, with a few interesting claims, I randomly spoke to a young guy in a pub in Oban who casually remarked that he and some friends fished for sea run rainbows in the estuary, didn't know if they were breeding, they just went down with spinning rods and caught them apparently, this was years and years ago.
Heard that rumour many times also. Although everyone told me they were just escapees. If the estuary is at Etive I find this quite hard to believe, unless of course there was a massive escape of fish one year which has subsequently died off and passed into local folklore.

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Re the Chess rainbows ,I had a rod on the stretch below Latimer Park for 3 /4 years back in early 80s
We caught a few but mainly browns .
they did seem different to the derbyshire ones and didnt reach large sizes frow what I saw .
the last year I had a rod the river started to smell of sewerage in the warmer months,guess thta what did them in!

Paul_B

Re the Don
I just rung Stuart Crofts about this.he said :-
Since the 80’s people have been catching rainbows it was assumed they had escaped from one of the top up reservoirs each winter.
They had a survey of the fish population done and it was found that there were small pockets of fin perfect rainbows many of them about 6inches long No ones the catchment was stocking them that small. The growth rings on scale samples showed they were not stock fish.
Still every year people catch them of all sizes, the populations not big enough to make it a target fish and most are returned.

The top up res has been stocked with trout since the 60s, nowadays they're all big ones, a small stocky would be pound and half.

ohanzee

Heard that rumour many times also. Although everyone told me they were just escapees. If the estuary is at Etive I find this quite hard to believe, unless of course there was a massive escape of fish one year which has subsequently died off and passed into local folklore.

I think the most plausible theory at the time was that they had escaped en masse and ran to sea, possibly even came back even, then..nothing much because there were no boys.

LukeNZ

Wrong thread Luke. Didn’t you read what Myriad said recently?
I think you were pretending to know something about the NZ wine trade in the wrong thread too Mobydick; but you didnt let it stop you spouting a whole lot of pompous, self righteous nonsense in that thread either...🤔

MobyJones

I think you were pretending to know something about the NZ wine trade in the wrong thread too Mobydick; but you didnt let it stop you spouting a whole lot of pompous, self righteous nonsense in that thread either...🤔

Actually I think I included enough verifiable points to prove who those wineries are. That was deliberate so you'd have nowhere to go. It's only nonsense to you as you don't have any knowledge yourself. If you did you'd be able to name them.

So yeah, you really did prove that you're not very knowledgeable on the NZ wine industry. I really did think brand one would have been very obvious! But you failed. Brand two should have been very easy too. But you failed there as well! Oh yeah, you got it wrong on the whisky pricing too and then failed to answer a question there. Ironic how you show up on my ultimate stockie thread! :ROFLMAO:

Feel free to be brave and guess if you dare though. Only if you do get them right then that proves that your whole description of NZ SB in the other thread is complete garbage! So I guess I understand why you're dodging the question! (y)

***Apologies to the people who come here to discuss fly fishing. I have an embarrassed, angry little stalker following me around the forum***

MobyJones

I've asked some of the Don regulars I know what their take is.

They reckon stockies escape and occasionally fish up to 5lb are caught. Much smaller fish are caught above Oughtibridge but they still around the 8" to 9" mark. None of them believe they are breeding there though.

How small were the ones your friend found?

MobyJones

Re the Chess rainbows ,I had a rod on the stretch below Latimer Park for 3 /4 years back in early 80s
We caught a few but mainly browns .
they did seem different to the derbyshire ones and didnt reach large sizes frow what I saw .
the last year I had a rod the river started to smell of sewerage in the warmer months,guess thta what did them in!

So have they definitely disappeared from the Chess now?

Reactions: ACW

Whinging pom

I've asked some of the Don regulars I know what their take is.

They reckon stockies escape and occasionally fish up to 5lb are caught. Much smaller fish are caught above Oughtibridge but they still around the 8" to 9" mark. None of them believe they are breeding there though.

How small were the ones your friend found?

6 inches long there is nobody in the catchment stocking rainbows that small.

The company who did the survey of the Don also did scale samples to show the age and growth rates.
The fishermen at penistone know about them and are told to use discretion over catch and realease. It wouldn’t be like Stuart Crofts to get the wrong end of the sticks about this. It his local river and he has been very involved in the environment work and surveys since the heyday of the steel industry . And he’s really not the type to romanticise about some ghost population.

MobyJones

The company who did the survey of the Don also did scale samples to show the age and growth rates.
The fishermen at penistone know about them and are told to use discretion over catch and realease. It wouldn’t be like Stuart Crofts to get the wrong end of the sticks about this. It his local river and he has been very involved in the environment work and surveys since the heyday of the steel industry . And he’s really not the type to romanticise about some ghost population.

I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone's making things up. I'm just genuinely curious.

You can buy rainbows, their golden variant, blues and even tiger trout in the ornamental pond fish trade from only 2" and if bought in bulk they're cheap (excluding tiger trout). It is possible it was a deliberate but illegal stocking that way. They make terrible pond inhabitants if anyone is thinking of stocking their garden pond though!

Paul_B

Have they seen any parr up that way yet, they've caught them lower down

Whinging pom

Moby
If your at the fly fishing and fly tying fair next feb introduce yourself to him and ask him, he’ll be on the wild trout trust or the river fly partnership stall . He’s a really friendly chap and very knowledgeable, beware though you get him talking and it’s hard to stop him.

Re Paul b. I really not sure I called him on Sunday to ask him and make sure I’d remembered right. What I wrote here is what he said

It first came up a dozen or so years back, I was fishing on the Don with him below Penistone and we were piggy backing rods and pools one of us caught a small rainbow and I said “that’s a turn up for the book” or something similar , and Stuart wasn’t at all surprised and told me about the small wild population it seemed all matter of fact.

LukeNZ

Actually I think I included enough verifiable points to prove who those wineries are. That was deliberate so you'd have nowhere to go. It's only nonsense to you as you don't have any knowledge yourself. If you did you'd be able to name them.

So yeah, you really did prove that you're not very knowledgeable on the NZ wine industry. I really did think brand one would have been very obvious! But you failed. Brand two should have been very easy too. But you failed there as well! Oh yeah, you got it wrong on the whisky pricing too and then failed to answer a question there. Ironic how you show up on my ultimate stockie thread! :ROFLMAO:

Feel free to be brave and guess if you dare though. Only if you do get them right then that proves that your whole description of NZ SB in the other thread is complete garbage! So I guess I understand why you're dodging the question! (y)

***Apologies to the people who come here to discuss fly fishing. I have an embarrassed, angry little stalker following me around the forum***
You wont name them because you know you are talking BS and that would prove it.

As for stalking you - I think you are bordering on the egotistical, much. I am simply trying to understand what it is, that you think you know.

Now please front up with the 2 labels, or become labelled yourself. Straw-man, perhaps - we shall see...

🙃

Paul_B

Moby
If your at the fly fishing and fly tying fair next feb introduce yourself to him and ask him, he’ll be on the wild trout trust or the river fly partnership stall . He’s a really friendly chap and very knowledgeable, beware though you get him talking and it’s hard to stop him.

Re Paul b. I really not sure I called him on Sunday to ask him and make sure I’d remembered right. What I wrote here is what he said

It first came up a dozen or so years back, I was fishing on the Don with him below Penistone and we were piggy backing rods and pools one of us caught a small rainbow and I said “that’s a turn up for the book” or something similar , and Stuart wasn’t at all surprised and told me about the small wild population it seemed all matter of fact.

Stuart would know (y)
This link is food for thought, and its for the better :)

Reactions: ACW

Latest posts