Ultra light small fly reel that won't break the bank

kingf000

I'm after a small, ultra light fly reel for my ESN fly fishing to use with a 0.5mm nymphing line, so I don't need a huge capacity. For lightness I'd be looking for a click and pawl reel. The lightest, most readily available is the Sage Click reel, with the 0-2# weighing in at 2.3 oz, but at £265. The Maxcatch equivalent is much cheaper but weighs just over 3 oz. The Redington zero 2/3 weighs in at 2.7 oz at ~£80 from Amazon is lighter and similar in price to. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

arawa

I'm after a small, ultra light fly reel for my ESN fly fishing to use with a 0.5mm nymphing line, so I don't need a huge capacity. For lightness I'd be looking for a click and pawl reel. The lightest, most readily available is the Sage Click reel, with the 0-2# weighing in at 2.3 oz, but at £265. The Maxcatch equivalent is much cheaper but weighs just over 3 oz. The Redington zero 2/3 weighs in at 2.7 oz at ~£80 from Amazon is lighter and similar in price to. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
The Clicks are my favourite reel in both current and previous versions. The smallest models sometimes sell for reasonable prices on eBay.

speytime

Check out the Piscifun sword 6061 barstock aluminium reels, it's a disc drag but significantly lighter than any diecast click and pawl.

Al

Last edited:

kingf000

Check out the Piscifun sword 6061 barstock aluminium reels, it's a disc drag but significantly lighter than any diecast click and pawl and only a fraction of the cost.

Al
Many thanks for this, but the smallest still comes in at 4.1g. https://chuckingfluff.com/piscifun-sword-fly-fishing-reel-review/

kingf000

How about going retro with a Ryobi 355MG magnesium reel, not expensive either, have a look on the Bay. I’ve got a few of them, light as a feather.

Skaj
Good suggestion. Do you know what it weighs? I found that the weight of the 255mg is 1.7 ounces, but you don't see many of those around.

sean freeman

Sage click as mentioned above can be had for a good price on eBay. I think I prefer the older style but I have both. I picked up a brand new old style 3/4 click iii for £120 last summer.

Gdog

Try the Maxcatch Classic trout reel it weighs
2.89 oz and costs £49, less if you wait for the next discount. There are other options on Maxcatch website, worth a look.

kingf000

Many thanks to everyone - some very good suggestions. However, the Wychwood R&S at 50 g (1.76oz) and £90 seems to be by far the lightest reel for a reasonable cost.